Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little history:

I have a 3-way speaker set up in the 90, 4s and tweets in the OEM spot and 6.5 in the door. Currently I have 1993 Torch Red Door panels (all the red in the car is mainly torch red)

anyway, the 1990-1993 are multi-piece and I was able to modify the front areas for speakers (had an extra set of bolt on pieces). I recently replaced the power door luck actuators and inner door mounts with 94-96 pieces for a more streamlined lock solution. Apparently the pass side door pull mount is 1/2" higher on ht 94-96 from the 90-93, I would rather not drill them out and reattach as I was planning on newer panels once I figured out speaker grills.

Well here is what I am planning:

I will cut out holes in the doors for these grills and cover them in grill cloth. I also have to add a few pieces for mounting them but I think this is a perfect/not too complex solution:

left side is fairly easy:

Passenger side while a bit harder with this grill it will be much better and I already have the grill contour close tot he panel:

I think these will work out nicely.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Would you be better off building up the passenger side instead of bending the grill and having to build up something behind the panel? I don't know if that would kill too much leg room...

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you be better off building up the passenger side instead of bending the grill and having to build up something behind the panel? I don't know if that would kill too much leg room...
If I was mounting the Speaker with the grill then yes, but I have the speaker mounted to the door and I am not changing that, this more of a way to get the sound in the cabin. It may not be right, but it is how it is now with the older panels and it works fine

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Looks good to me. Once you get that curved one covered with material it will look like it came that way. Why don't the panels mirror each other though?

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If I was mounting the Speaker with the grill then yes, but I have the speaker mounted to the door and I am not changing that, this more of a way to get the sound in the cabin. It may not be right, but it is how it is now with the older panels and it works fine
Sounds like you've taken it all into account. Personally, I think the curved look like you have now will look more like a factory installation than a bulging speaker, which is a plus in my book.

:thumbsup:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good to me. Once you get that curved one covered with material it will look like it came that way. Why don't the panels mirror each other though?
Ask GM, but also look at a 90-96 interior and you will see why

Here they are both cut:

Driver side cut:

Passenger side cut

·
Registered
872 Posts
Where did you find the speaker grills? Been contemplating how to put front speakers in the car and there you go and make it look easy.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you find the speaker grills? Been contemplating how to put front speakers in the car and there you go and make it look easy.
I found them in my pile of parts.. LOL

Actually they are the speaker guards for the 6.5" speaker found on the 90-96 Vette Bose system

I had them in a box. When I was looking around for some other grills I stumbled onto these..

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Great job. That really looks like what the General should have done to start with. Please post some pics of how you are going to get the speakers behind the grills. I guess a little filler of some sort??

Just a fuzz off topic, how could I get the two tone look to my solid black door panels?? Gotta clue?? Thanks;)

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great job. That really looks like what the General should have done to start with. Please post some pics of how you are going to get the speakers behind the grills. I guess a little filler of some sort??

Just a fuzz off topic, how could I get the two tone look to my solid black door panels?? Gotta clue?? Thanks;)
Speakers are mounted on the door itself. I know the pass side is off by about 2" so the grill is not centered.

these are only mid bass, I am going to see how they sound, I might move them I might not

here is a shot of the driver side mounted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts