Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I have Monterey Red C6 coupes (Mine is a late 2005 and his is a 2007). For some reason, comments were made that even though they are the same color, his looked darker (See picture below). I was curious to know if anyone has used the polishes/waxes for black cars on their metallic finishes to darken the color. If not, why the difference?

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
:huh: could be the light

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The early 2005 Monterey Red was different then the later 2005.
The later 2005 and the 2007 should be the same.

Maybe your 2005 was built with the Monterey Red tintcoat

You need to compare the two paint code numbers to know for sure.

The Atomic orange tintcoat was changed to Metallic during the 2007 production year so..maybe the same was done on the Monterey red

I would like to mention that both of the reds are awesome looking :thumbsup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
In 2005 they produced two Monterey Reds. Code 80 and 86. There were 358 with the 80 code and 2,981 of the 86 code. In 2007 they only used the 80 code. That is probably the difference there check your paint code and youay find that you have the 86 code.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ours was produced in March of 2006 and it looks like the darker color. At night it's very dark, but in direct sunlight it really glows. We love the color and it gets many compliments.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The later models with Crystal Red Metallic must be the same as one of those colors because I went to GM to by touch-up paint for my 09 CRM and the name on the bottle was Monterrey Red. It matched mine perfectly.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Crystal replaced Monterey and is a little brighter. If you painted an entire door with that touch up paint, it wouldn't match. Painting a rock chip, on the other hand, no problem. There's not enough area to show the difference.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Crystal replaced Monterey and is a little brighter. If you painted an entire door with that touch up paint, it wouldn't match. Painting a rock chip, on the other hand, no problem. There's not enough area to show the difference.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In 2005 they produced two Monterey Reds. Code 80 and 86. There were 358 with the 80 code and 2,981 of the 86 code. In 2007 they only used the 80 code. That is probably the difference there check your paint code and youay find that you have the 86 code.
I checked and found that I have the "80" code.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I checked and found that I have the "80" code.
Then I would say that is why one is darker than the other. Two different paint codes two different shades. I cannot see Chevrolet changing the paint code if there was no change in the color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
different year cars with the same paint code could have different colors. i was buying some paint for my Toyota Highlander from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com, their customer service contacted me on the phone right after and asked for my VIN. They said that since Toyota had two different shades of the same paint that year, they needed to use the VIN to look up the exact formula. Pretty interesting and total news to me. This sounds like it could be the same case.

·
Registered
725 Posts
different year cars with the same paint code could have different colors. i was buying some paint for my Toyota Highlander from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com, their customer service contacted me on the phone right after and asked for my VIN. They said that since Toyota had two different shades of the same paint that year, they needed to use the VIN to look up the exact formula. Pretty interesting and total news to me. This sounds like it could be the same case.
I can see where that might happen, but seeing that the in '05 the Monterey Red was list in two different codes the 80 and the 86, but from '06-'07 the Monterey Red only was listed in the 80 code. That why it sure appears that is the reason for the difference in color for the different years.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
By the way, there's no such thing as a wax for a certain color car. Wax made for one color is going to do the exact same thing for every other color. That's like saying that a spoon works great for Cheerios, but not for Honey Nut Cheerios. A Cheerio is a Cheerio, just as paint on a new black Vette is the same as the paint on a new white Vette.

The product in the bottle has no clue what color your car is.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
By the way, there's no such thing as a wax for a certain color car. Wax made for one color is going to do the exact same thing for every other color. That's like saying that a spoon works great for Cheerios, but not for Honey Nut Cheerios. A Cheerio is a Cheerio, just as paint on a new black Vette is the same as the paint on a new white Vette.

The product in the bottle has no clue what color your car is.
While the wax does not know the difference in the color car it is used on, some wax actually changes the color of the some cars they are applied to while not making a difference in other colors. AK's Z06 Red C6 changed color after using Zaino while dark cars do not seem to show a difference. Seeing what Zaino did to Ak's car kept me from trying Zaino on my car.

Before Zaino

After Zaino

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I disagree, but not with what you saw. You may have seen a difference after the application, but it was not because of what was in the bottle. It was more likely the condition of the paint on both cars not being equal. Only if the cars had the EXACT same exposure life could you say that the product in the bottle made the difference. Since that was not the case, it was more likely that the difference of each car's condition which created the difference you saw.

With all that said, I still stand by my statement. The product in the bottle has no clue what color your car is. The product is going to do what it does, regardless. If it makes one color pop, it will make all colors pop provided we are talking about the same type and series of paint jobs.

Wax is a protectant, not a shining agent.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I disagree, but not with what you saw. You may have seen a difference after the application, but it was not because of what was in the bottle. It was more likely the condition of the paint on both cars not being equal. Only if the cars had the EXACT same exposure life could you say that the product in the bottle made the difference. Since that was not the case, it was more likely that the difference of each car's condition which created the difference you saw.

With all that said, I still stand by my statement. The product in the bottle has no clue what color your car is. The product is going to do what it does, regardless. If it makes one color pop, it will make all colors pop provided we are talking about the same type and series of paint jobs.

Wax is a protect ant, not a shining agent.
This is the same car before and after Zaino application. The car was less than 6 months old when the Zaino was applied. The product does not know what color it is applied to but if it has a tint or alters the hue of refracted light it will have a different visual effect when applied over different colors.

Pop is not the issue. The issue was it appeared to alter the appearance of the Red Color. Ak's car had equivalent pop to the dark colors posted after Zaino but the darker cars did not show the color change the Red base colors seem to show with Zaino.

Just to clarify

Member AK's Z06 C6 before Zaino

Member AK's Z06 C6 a short time after the first pic after an application of Zaino

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I still agree with what you see, but are you saying that wax makes paint shine? Maybe we are saying two different things. Also, Zaino is not a wax, it is a polish. Polish is used to correct paint or make it shine. Since Zaino is not a wax, it really doesn't apply here.

Also, Zaino is the one odd man out when compared to conventional paint care products. It was manufactured, and its process is totally different from the likes of Griot's, Meguiar's, Adam's and Pinnicle to name a few. Zaino even has its own terminology which slightly differs when talking paint care lingo.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I still agree with what you see, but are you saying that wax makes paint shine? Maybe we are saying two different things. Also, Zaino is not a wax, it is a polish. Polish is used to correct paint or make it shine. Since Zaino is not a wax, it really doesn't apply here.

Also, Zaino is the one odd man out when compared to conventional paint care products. It was manufactured, and its process is totally different from the likes of Griot's, Meguiar's, Adam's and Pinnicle to name a few. Zaino even has its own terminology which slightly differs when talking paint care lingo.
Exactly! Zaino is not a wax but a polymeric sealant (and polish) that soaks into a finish. That is why it will never go on any of my cars. I mis-used the word wax as a general term and did not intend to imply Zaino is a wax.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts