Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we stuck my Jeeps battery on my bros 74 and started it up just so it wouldn't set and go to waste, but as my brother was examing the rotted mufflers he stated that it had lots of condensation coming from the mufflers and upon examination the "water" looked green so I wiped some off the mufflers to take a sniff and what was to be belived as water/coolant was actually gasoline pouring out of the feed line to the fuel pump. Now I have the "responsibilty" of pulling the spare carrier and fixing the leak. By the way before the knocking rod will be fixed he wants the brakes working which is going to be a chore considering all the seals have dried up and are stuck to the pistons, and therefore makes piston removal a mortal bitch. Thats all my whinning for today, guess I better begin on fixing it:laughing:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
..... considering all the seals have dried up and are stuck to the pistons, and therefore makes piston removal a mortal bitch. Thats all my whinning for today, guess I better begin on fixing it:laughing:
If those are the original calipers, I'd toss them in favor of some new Stainless Steel Sleeved units. I'd much rather spend a few $ (they're not that expensive) then go through what you have ahead of you, only to have them leak anyway because the cylinders are probably pitted.:thud:....just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Today we stuck my Jeeps battery on my bros 74 and started it up just so it wouldn't set and go to waste, but as my brother was examing the rotted mufflers he stated that it had lots of condensation coming from the mufflers and upon examination the "water" looked green so I wiped some off the mufflers to take a sniff and what was to be belived as water/coolant was actually gasoline pouring out of the feed line to the fuel pump. Now I have the "responsibilty" of pulling the spare carrier and fixing the leak. By the way before the knocking rod will be fixed he wants the brakes working which is going to be a chore considering all the seals have dried up and are stuck to the pistons, and therefore makes piston removal a mortal bitch. Thats all my whinning for today, guess I better begin on fixing it:laughing:

Kyle I know those problems seem like horrible pains to deal with but these are the things you want to find in your garage during a shake down run, than out on the road cruising for chicks. :partyon:

In all honesty I think it would be a good idea for you to remove the spare carrier and exhaust and drop the tank. That way you can check for a build sheet, clean and paint the tank, and replace all the lines with new rubber. This will also give you an indication of how bad the exhaust really is. If it's on the fence it'll go on you as soon as you start to drive the car.

I agree with Metalkid. The new reman calipers from Autozone are the same castings as stock, sleeved with S/S, and come with a lifetime warranty. I think they are $70 each if you take them the core. No too shabby.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are most part stores SS sleved? I got mine from Napa 5 years ago but have no idea if they're SS sleved. The bores aren't pitted on his which is good, but trying to tell him to buy SS hasn't been easy as he doesn't want to spend the extra money to do so. He was wanting to get the build sheet anyways so it's a good thing that it leaks now. I'm the one who is doing all the work while he sits around and "cleans" things up instead of digging in and getting to know the "system" of a Corvette. By the way Matt I'll have better luck picking up chics in my boss's lifted Tahoe as I'm in the South part of town:laughing: I'm not whinning about doing work as I love to work 24/7, but he'll never get a good mechanical skill unless he jumps in head first. Also the mufflers are completely rotted out and the pipes are very rusty so side pipes are on the list of things to get.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Check with Napa. I believe they will be the S/S sleeved calipers and should have the lifetime warranty.

Call first, but I'm pretty sure you can take the seized calipers in as cores and walk away with new ones at no charge.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try my buddies at Advance Auto cause my calipers were over $150 each at Napa. When I did the rear brakes 5 years ago it was over $500 to do just the rear with stock stuff:surprised But thanks Metalkid and Matt for your suggestions as they're are valued:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts