Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm cruising along at say 80mph and somebody comes along and wants to run can I drop back in fourth to get some real torgue ? or would that get me killed? in 6th gear it's just a gradual pickup and 5th is a little more kick so I think I would try 4th .but don't want to see a piston jump through the hood either. any advice on getting more top end speed? or what's safe and what ain't.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Learn your car, what speed will your car do at red line in each gear. Practice shifting down. You need to have the RPM's up or you will lock the rear wheels.

A lot of people will tell you that its OK to down shift to 4th. an they do it all the time. But work your way up to 70 or 80, or you will hurt some one or your car.

I think the C6 will do about 150 in 4th, so if you want to win get down in the gears, But please practice, practice, practice...

one old mans opinion...

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
In the ZO6 I can be in 5th and drop it to 2nd at 75 and pull away.

Jr.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mo

Thanks guys I appreciate all the info. I know you can strech those gears out pretty well but i didn't to slam it the wrong lower gear and do an 80 mph donut.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
In the ZO6 I can be in 5th and drop it to 2nd at 75 and pull away.

Jr.
In a MN6 Z51 C6 75mph puts you close to redline in 2nd. At 75mph I would drop to 3rd and use my torque but, you should rev match or like Ivan said it could lock your rears momentarily.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I love practicing downshifts on an open piece of road from time to time. Theres nothing like hitting a perfectly executed rev-match.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info. I know you can strech those gears out pretty well but i didn't to slam it the wrong lower gear and do an 80 mph donut.:thumbsup:
C6 standard Z51:

redline (or there about)
50 in 1st
70 in 2nd
100 in 3rd

·
Registered
383 Posts
If I'm cruising along at say 80mph and somebody comes along and wants to run can I drop back in fourth to get some real torgue ? or would that get me killed? in 6th gear it's just a gradual pickup and 5th is a little more kick so I think I would try 4th .but don't want to see a piston jump through the hood either. any advice on getting more top end speed? or what's safe and what ain't.
(Said in best, mock, police car loudspeaker voice) "OP - Open the door and step away from the vehicle. Please turn your keys over to the first real car guy in your general vicinity and immediately report to the local Chevy dealer to acquire your new Volt."

I said it in your other thread - get the driver mod. At present, it sounds like you may have too much car for your skill level. Go to Bondurant, Barber, an autocross event, SOMETHING!! Find an instructor and learn how to drive. Otherwise, if you try a roll race starting at 70 mph, by the time you are done you are in excess of 120 mph. You sound like you are not safe at that speed. Please don't try to push it up or down a highway ramp as they will be picking you and your car out of the detention basin. I sure hope there's no gators in them there water holes.

I am running a supercharger on stock engine internals and making 715 horsepower at the tires. I drive the car HARD. Thankfully, the driver mod was installed more than two decades ago. I spent the time learning the car, the shift points, the car's capabilities, etc. If I didn't know what I was doing, I would spin the car like a dreidel on Chanukah as the car can break the tires loose in just about any gear at speeds under 100 mph. If I did not know my shift points, I would have already had to build a new motor for it. Please learn.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
:agree:
I watched someone destroy his Vette with a downshift as he was pulling out to pass. He lost control when the Vette spun and bounced off the center wall.

Know your car and practice, practice, practice if you are going to race. Car control can be the difference between life and death.

:cheers:

·
Registered
401 Posts
@ 70 cruise Ill go to 2nd and shift to 3rd @ 7200 rpm.:thumbsup: When I shift Im going well over 115. I have a m6 with 3:42s and you should see the look on the face of others:surprised Of coarse I have a few mods done:devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts