Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been posted on here in relation to torque converters. Custom built converters by Edge and Vigilante are two brands commonly mentioned, as well as a lot of off the shelf brands available at Summit or Jegs, etc.

So what would be the most important thing to you in regard to upgrading your torque converter. Getting off the line faster, right???

With that in mind, an interesting question came to mind. Suppose you had a car that came off the line with the tires right at the point of breaking loose, but maintained traction, but you felt like you could be a little faster with a better converter. If you upgrade to that better converter, how is that going to affect your off the line performance?

If you increase your torque value, are you also going to be in a position where your tires do break loose. Are you better off with the higher torque value and having to learn how to use it properly, or with the converter that allows you to just mash the gas and go.

Would like to hear some opinions from some of you guys that go to the track and have experience with stock and custom, or at least upgraded converters.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is of interest to me, also. I had a converter built by some guy on eBay. It's a 3500 10" that flashes @ 2800 RPM. I brake torque mine at the line, then mash the gas and go. Although this works fine, it's killing my city fuel mileage. I guess I have a "loose" converter. I'd like to hear thoughts on this and torque multiplication and other factors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts