Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Dunne caught up to the Yellow SS and made some observations on 8/29 about this corvette mule vs the last few he's observed:

DETROIT — Here's our latest look at what the Corvette folks have been working up for the ultra-fast coupe class, the 2008 Corvette SS. At least SS is the name most used in referring to this 600-plus-hp, supercharged beauty. You might think it looks like today's Corvette, except for the tape over the fenders and the black covering on the hood. But you'd be wrong.

Let’s go through the subtle—but very important—changes needed to make this a 200-mph car for the track. We think the hood covering hides a new bulge there—a necessary tweak to make room for that supercharger nestled near the vee at the top of the 6.2-liter V8 engine.

There's also a solid possibility that the new hood on the new ‘Vette is made of carbon fiber instead of the traditional Corvette fiberglass. If so, that's a major move toward weight savings. Based on the black top we’ve seen on our spy shots of this puppy in blue and then again in red—though it’s new to the yellow, which we’ve also already seen—we feel even more strongly that the prototypes are already carrying carbon-fiber black roof panels.

You might check out the stingy aero lip atop the deck in the rear. That’s new to the Corvette line, and a necessary accessory when traveling at high speed: At speed, the lip catches the air stream and forces the stream upward, creating a down pressure on the rear wheels (always good to have ultimate traction when moving at this car's hyperspeeds).

That black lower rear fascia arrangement surrounding the exhaust tips also looks new to us.

The rear view also shows new, stingy "mud flaps" that extend the fenders to cover the width of the Michelin tires. We told you before that Michelin and Goodyear were bidding for the tire contract for this vehicle, and so far it’s looking good for Michelin to take Goodyears off the Corvette for the first time ever. The Michelin sidewall details include "light load" and "outside" designations, with separate designs for each wheel. Rear wheels probably have an aspect ratio of 35 on 20-in. rims. Another detail near the fender is hidden beneath the black tape—probably two separate slots for air evacuation.

Finally, we see the design of the wheels themselves once again. Behind the dual five-spoke design on the outside of the rims, there are 10 additional spokes set inboard. As with the carbon-fiber body parts, the wheel design offers ultra-light, unsprung weight to aid handling and ride and to cut down on the vehicle's overall weight. Boy, is this beauty gonna need it. —Jim Dunne

Enjoy!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The wheels look nice... that's all I care about, who cares about the motor details?:laughing:

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the only exterior changes made from the ZO6 are only the hoods, fenders, and the stingy aero lip atop the deck in the rear, and thats it ? I expect more than that! :(

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
"There's also a solid possibility that the new hood on the new ‘Vette is made of carbon fiber instead of the traditional Corvette fiberglass."
Nice pics, nice shots of the wheels... but I posted pictures here on DC 4 months ago showing the carbon fiber surface of the SS hood.

So, his solid possibility is well known at this point. :laughing: :rolleyes:

Who still reads the mags?

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
The biggest Baddest Monster of them all (AKA CORVETTE SS)! Meet your competition Viper! :devil:

You have to love a bad ass Corvette!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
its right hand drive? just an observation, these pictures makes me more depress and feel like im going backwards after patrick showed us the pics of the blue one with the hood revealed and side vents!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
its right hand drive? just an observation, these pictures makes me more depress and feel like im going backwards after patrick showed us the pics of the blue one with the hood revealed and side vents!:rolleyes:

The second picture is in the mirror so its backwards. The mule is left hand drive.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
So the only exterior changes made from the ZO6 are only the hoods, fenders, and the stingy aero lip atop the deck in the rear, and thats it ? I expect more than that! :(
Me too. Perhaps the side air vents are dual similar to the Blue picture at the top of our DC website. I also wonder if they plan to keep the roof and side pillars black vs. body color.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Notice the taped over name right behind the wheel on the lower front fender. I think this car may be further along than a Mule:huh:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Even though we've seen most of this before...I was still expecting a more agressive look..wider fender flares or something.

Anyone think the Z06 gets a HP bump for the 2009 model to slot in between the base and SS?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hot. Can't wait to see the engine details.

Its kind of funny how they make these super hi-po corvettes with so little change made to the body. Its already made to go 200!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i just hope the new front fenders are more shark gill inspired as opposed to stacked dual openings...no offense p!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,166 Posts
Z07 seems to be a more reasonable label for this beast. The slight body changes to the Z06 as first shown by Ankurpatel and Patrick and again here, would best be labeled as a Z07 to emphasize the Z06 relationship, rather than try to imply the newer model is unique. JMHO

Save SS or Sting Ray, or whatever, for some future, more model that is more unique in appearance from other vette offerings - should it ever arrive.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Everyone's critiquing the bezeezus out of small appearance details.
It's the CAR, folks. :thumbsup:

Remember the days when you could buy a base 2 dr. post sedan, bench seats, radio delete...... and a honkin' (real) 427?. Keep the foo-foo. Giv'me the ponies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts