Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, it was the the PowerAde NHRA nationals earlier this year at Rte. 66 raceway in Joliet, Illinois.

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE. We were in a camper near the finish line, and when those cars go by at 300, not only is it the loudest thing you've ever heard, or the most powerful feeling you ever felt... but all of the air with 500 feet is sucked behind as it goes by, like a vaccuum.

Truly a feeling that cannot be understood when watching the 300mph cars on TV.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I'm sure it will be this weekends CarQuest NHRA nationals this weekend in Joliet Route66. I am working Friday 230-10p and the finals Sunday 9a-close...anyone going?

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
ChiMan said:
I'm sure it will be this weekends CarQuest NHRA nationals this weekend in Joliet Route66. I am working Friday 230-10p and the finals Sunday 9a-close...anyone going?
Craig, you working at the track?

I'll be there on Friday with a group of CF members. We'll be sitting in the North stands somewhere, I think. Jim P hasn't answered my post where I asked if they'll be on the north side again.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
NHRA NAT's for sure!
I'll be in the south stands on Friday as well.

Also, as far as awesome events go, I grew up in Upsate/western New York. I made it to Watkins Glen a few times in the early 70's to see the Formula One races. I did not know at the time what history I was watching, I just liked the "cool" cars. As I look back at the lotus racers, jackie Stewart, etc. Wow that WAS awesome.
There has not been an F1 race there since what, 1978???
Age and time gives perspective.
Matt383

·
Registered
596 Posts
1989 Keystone Nationals, at Maple Grove Raceway, outside Reading, Pa., held 2 weeks after Labor Day.
Kenny Bernstein had won 4 Funny Car championships in a row ('85-'88), but that season, Bruce Larson had a good handle on the then-new direct-drive, multi-stage clutch, thanks to the late, great Maynard Yingst.
By Labor Day, it was 'make-or-break' time for the Bud King, and during eliminations, Bernstein & Larson were paired-up in the semis (I think?).
Bernstein lit the tires soon after the green, and valiantly pedaled several times, but to no avail, as Larson ran a then-decent 5-twenty-something.
I said to my buddy in the stands, "You know, I think we just saw Bernstein's 'last gasp'!"
I think John Force beat Larson in the Final (Force's only win that year?).....
I think the '89 Keystones also had the first side-by-side 4-second runs in eliminations (Amato over Muldowney on a holeshot 4.97 beat her 4.96), but that could've been later ('90? '91?)

Late in the season, a stellar strip, teams are hungry to win before the end of the season, trees surrounding the track (providing HP-making oxygen), all add up to GREAT RACES at the Grove!!!
The rained-out event has been re-scheduled for October 4-5 this year; if it's rained-out AGAIN, it may be held in late October, or November!!!!!
Imagine the ETs they'll run at this track in 50-degree weather!!!!!!
:) :excited: :thumbsup: :cool: :D

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Any NHRA National event is awesome, it's hard to describe the sound, the smell of the Nitro and the feel of the cars as they go by. I was at qualifying this past Friday at the Mid-South Nationals at Memphis Motorsports Park and was sitting in the west stands (not the pit side), well those stands are a lot closer to the track than RTE 66 and we could feel our hats starting to come off as the funny cars went past.

I've been to the US Nationals in Indy also, but my favorite races were the 24 hour races at Daytona in the mid-80's

·
Liftin' the fronts
2,261 Posts
The best race I have been to was the 25th Anv. U.S. Nationals held at Indy in 1979.
The best races that I have raced at would be a three way tie between the 78 NHRA Winternationals in Pomona Ca. , the 81 NHRA Summernationals in Englishtown N.J. and the NHRA U.S. Nationals of 81.
I picked up a class win at Indy and Englishtown, great memories.

Bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
1973 Indy 500

I grew up in Indianapolis. I very rarely miss a 500 since 1965. I love them all. Jim Nabors, balloons, cannons, Gentlemen start your engines, thirty three very powerful motors firing, goosebumps, sitting in grandstand E looking down the front straight as they come blowing toward you... you just have to be there to understand! TV doesn't help. 1973 took three days to run (rain) and I loved every minute of it. AJ should have got his 5th that year, but pit rotation cut short by rain gave it to Johncock. Big wreck to start the race, Salt Walther got hurt but lived to tell. People say we just go to see the accidents and death. The reality is we come to see these guys defy death. That year Swede Savage did not defy. He died several months later from wounds he had received in the accident. That makes you very sad, but he died from doing what he loved. If you ever get the chance to go see the Indy cars run at Indy do it, you will never regret it.
Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
come on now? no one has been to the great american race, the Daytona 500? By far the best racing event i have ever attended

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is only event to go to if you want to see absolute performance. It's an event where even the last car to finish is the appittomy of motor cars. The event is of course any F1 race. These cars out handle everything else ever made to race and few comp cars other than Drag racers can out accelerate them. As to the sound, well, when one flys by you at 16 or 17k rpm there is nothing else like it. I get goosey bumps just thinking about it. Can't wait for Canada and Indy this summer have great tickets and room reseveration for both.

Hail Schumy and the ultimate road machines FERRARI !!!! :excited:

Morgan

p.s. I've followed Schumys career since before he won his first title with Benneton. Always knew he would be one of the great ones!!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maddadd said:
There is only event to go to if you want to see absolute performance. It's an event where even the last car to finish is the appittomy of motor cars. The event is of course any F1 race. These cars out handle everything else ever made to race and few comp cars other than Drag racers can out accelerate them. As to the sound, well, when one flys by you at 16 or 17k rpm there is nothing else like it. I get goosey bumps just thinking about it. Can't wait for Canada and Indy this summer have great tickets and room reseveration for both.

Hail Schumy and the ultimate road machines FERRARI !!!! :excited:

Morgan

p.s. I've followed Schumys career since before he won his first title with Benneton. Always knew he would be one of the great ones!!
Eventually I will get to an F1 race. I've always been curious.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would say the F-1 race in 1997 Canada. I'v got to see and touch an F-1 car of the Ferrari and talk to Michael Schumacher.:partyon: :partyon:

MIKE

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
O.K. Monaco is a very good place to go and see and hear them rev there engines up to 18,000rpms and dash for that first turn!:partyon:

When my partners reply to my message I should have pit and driver access at evey F-1 race at Indy. Crossing my Fingers.:thumbsup: I already have permanent seats!:nuts:

MIKE

·
Registered
136 Posts
Be more specific. How are you getting pit access to every F1 race? Permanent seats and partners?
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
maddadd said:
There is only event to go to if you want to see absolute performance. It's an event where even the last car to finish is the appittomy of motor cars. The event is of course any F1 race...

agreed, F1 cars are the best cars in the world, I still think the daytona 500 was way more exciting than any F1 race ive ever seen. There are more lead changes at daytona than probably a whole season of F1... its anybodys game. dont get me wrong, ive been to the indy F1 race and the canadian one, they were cool but not as cool as the 500.

The crowd was a major part of this. I didnt think the crowd at indy was half as cool as the crowd at daytona...

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me its not just the race itself. I go to many races. All the races are a small part of my vacation, so the track location has a big roll in whole experience.
Mike

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
For the pit passes they can be purchased separatly or in a package.

Below are infomation on F-1 tickets and news.

ITV NEWS F1 Tickets F1News; I Read Also I Read

ITV-F1 is the magazine I subscribe to!

My permanent seats, pit and driver passes are from my partners. My partners are not to be revealed. I don't want my view taken from me!:toilet I hope you understand.

MIKE

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use Grand Prix Tours except at the Canada race. From memory, pit pass is around $2500 per person. Something I am not willing to add to my already high vacation cost ($5000 -10,000 typically). Consider yourself lucky.
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts