1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small displacement V8
Flat Plane Crank
DOHC
Twin Turbo charged (outboard, not Blackwing in the 'V')
~650 HP
Lightweight pistons
Short-stroke crank
We posted the CAD drawing of this engine more than a year in the first C8 Facts thread sticky above. Sort of reads like a 2020 version of the original, infamous Z-28 302 that was as HIGH revver too...for an OHV engine.

Carbon Fiber for:
Splitter
LARGE wing
WHEELS - yep CF Wheels
Not mentioned by MT but IMO, a VERY high percentage of likelihood: CF front fenders and maybe rear fenders too. outside chance that the rear hatch could also be CF

MT says to expect pricing to start around $80k
MT says the Pandemic has pushed the debut of Z06 out (previously rumored to have been this Summer). They are saying maybe the first part of 2021 as a 2022 model or possible out to 2022 as a 2023 model.

Reactions: HN376RAR

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I believe the short stroke and lightweight pistons in combination with lower displacement are intended to reduce the inherent vibration that occurs in a flat plane crank engine. Not sure what the biggest reason was for abandoning the standard pushrod. 😧

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the short stroke and lightweight pistons in combination with lower displacement are intended to reduce the inherent vibration that occurs in a flat plane crank engine. Not sure what the biggest reason was for abandoning the standard pushrod. 😧
When we were told that the C8.R was powered by a flatplane, DOHC V8, we were being told that some configuration of THAT engine HAD to go into the Z06. That's also why we will see the Z06 C8 no later than early 2021. The only way the C8.R engine is LEGAL TO RACE per the IMSA /Le Mans Homologation rules a version of THAT engine had to be offered in a production car.

Regarding the update that the Twin Turbo is the ZR-1 (thanks for posting that ddreghr): This makes MUCH more sense. Again if you look back over a year ago at our predictions based on the power plant rumors, this change makes our engine prediction almost dead on - with the codicil that we don't yet know the Horsepower for the ZR1 or the Zora. The rumors last year were that the Z06 would return to a Normally Aspirated engine AND that 650 HP is the same as the Supercharged C7 Z06. So extending the redline up to 9k plus NA responsiveness AND MUCH better launch, the C8 Z06 will be a beast and leave the C7 Z06 in its dust.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
So extending the redline up to 9k plus NA responsiveness AND MUCH better launch, the C8 Z06 will be a beast and leave the C7 Z06 in its dust.
If the purpose is to just make it a faster Corvette 0-60, then you might as well save your money and buy a Tesla S, which will leave it in its dust. If you're talking about faster around the track, then maybe if you're the <5% who actually track their Corvette, it might have some meaning. Although now with all of the computer controlled (nanny) systems including the suspension and transmission, driver input has become even more removed.

IMO, Corvette (GM) has decided to compete by building a bargain Ferrari. Unfortunately, I feel that what they're creating now is neither a Corvette or a Ferrari. I'm sure the fanboys will support that. I think they've left behind many of their loyal customer base - including me.

I personally prefer the low-end grunt of my larger displacement, higher torque at lower rpm engine and a third pedal. I don't care if my Corvette isn't the fastest automobile on the road or the track. To me the thrill is my interaction with the automobile while I'm driving it.

Hey, to each their own. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the purpose is to just make it a faster Corvette 0-60, then you might as well save your money and buy a Tesla S, which will leave it in its dust.
That might not be true soon:

CarModel YearIndependent time
Porsche 918 Spyder20152.1 sec
Tesla Model S P100D20172.28 sec
Lamborghini Huracán Performante20182.3 sec
Porsche Taycan Turbo S20202.4 sec
Corvette C8 Stingray Z-51 (495HP)......................................2020............................2.9 sec
Corvette C8 Z06 (650 HP)........................................................2021.............................??
Corvette C8 ZR1 (800 HP)........................................................202?.............................??
Corvette C8 Zora (1000 HP) AWD.........................................202?.............................??

Regardless, we all know there is much more to a good sports car than just 0-100, and the C8, by all accounts checks all of the boxes with excellent scores thus far.

If you are talking about faster around the track, then maybe if you're the <5% who actually track their Corvette, it might have some meaning.
If it is faster around the track...and every test and YouTube Vid has stated it handles better than the C7, that translates to great handling on the roads. In fact, This week's "Everyday Driver" on Motor Trend featured the two guys driving a C8 Z-51 and a C7 Z-51 on the same mountain roads/high-ways. One said that he felt the same about the transmission as you before they started the comparo. By the end of the show, he was raving about the C8's better road communication and the instant responsiveness of the transmission - faster than possible with a third peddle. The other guy owns and has been dedicated to his Porsche Caymen. He said he now Wants and NEEDS a C8 because it out handles his Caymen and has better road feel. BTW, these guys rarely use manufacturer-provided vehicles. Both the C8 Z-51 and the C7 Z-51 were owned privately and loaned to them for this test.

IMO, Corvette (GM) has decided to compete by building a bargain Ferrari. Unfortunately, I feel that what they're creating now is neither a Corvette or a Ferrari. I'm sure the fanboys will support that. I think they've left behind many of their loyal customer base - including me.
I've been driving Corvettes daily to work since 1976 and lusted after them well before then. Not sure if that makes me a "Fanboy" but it certainly makes me a member of the Corvette "loyal customer base." I've seen and sat in the C8, but not driven it yet, but I WANT ONE!!!
I've watched scores of vids of folks driving in on the street and at the track. I've read every Car Rag article about the C8...and ever other Corvette for 4 decades - Codicil: I might have missed an occasional Hot Rod article or Drag Racing focused media. Regardless, Whatever LABEL anyone decides to place on GM's goal, it is quite clear based on the opinion of even those who have traditionally shunned Corvettes, that the C8 is THE best Corvette ever built and is at a completely different level above the C7. The C7 was/is a pretty damn good performing automobile so that is saying a lot.

As you said, each their own. 🙂

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Of course the C8 transmission shifts faster than a human, which I don't care about. I like the interaction associated with having to shift on my own. There's no doubt the C8 Z versions will be amazingly quick on the track, but (as I already asked) how many owners ever take their Corvettes to the track? I've taken my C6 to the track many times, where I can enjoy pushing it to the edges of its abilities responsibly. The impracticality, and recklessness of driving a Z near its limits on a public road should be obvious. No doubt that a nearly $1M purposely-built high performance car being faster from a dig than a $120K family sedan by 0.18 seconds is impressive. I'm sure Musk will have a software update to download that can change that.

I'll hang on to my C6 with the manual tranny and enjoy the kind of performance automobile that GM has decided to stop building. It's definitely not the fastest, but gives me a thrill every time I drive it nonetheless.

Good luck with your pursuit of a C8. I hope you get one soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, but won't be soon. My 14' x 16' 2nd story deck at the back of the house just fell. The builder 18 yr ago didn't install a metal weep shield above the ledger. No one was hurt but it's going to cost me ~$35-40 k so I too will be sticking with my 6mn C6 Z-51 for a while longer than I intended. Smashed my BBQ too. :cry:

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Thanks, but won't be soon. My 14' x 16' 2nd story deck at the back of the house just fell. The builder 18 yr ago didn't install a metal weep shield above the ledger. No one was hurt but it's going to cost me ~$35-40 k so I too will be sticking with my 6mn C6 Z-51 for a while longer than I intended. Smashed my BBQ too. :cry:
Wow, sorry to hear that. As a homeowner, It seems like there's always something lurking to potentially attack my bank account.

I hope that doesn't set you back too badly time-wise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts