Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for nothing, Texas, for making me mount this thing on the front of my car. I got the Top Flite Reproductions bracket and color matching frame and installed it today. I got the removable version which has the main bracket mounted to a flat adhesive bracket with two wing nuts. It takes just a minute to remove it. It's ugly - just not as ugly as all of the other brackets I have seen. Pricey at roughly $200 for bracket and frame. After my wife and I both got stopped within 3 days for no front plate, it was obvious the TX law was going to be more seriously enforced. Anyway, here are the pics with the bracket removed and in place. The one with no plate shows the two mounting screws hanging down about 1/2". Needless to say, I'm bummed.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:thud: That's enough to make a man move to ARIZONA...

NO STINKIN' FRONT PLATES NEEDED....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thud: That's enough to make a man move to ARIZONA...

NO STINKIN' FRONT PLATES NEEDED....:thumbsup:
Tell me about it. :lookinup:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Tell me about it. :lookinup:
You did a good job.That is about as nice a mount as you will get.

Why did Texass decide to start enforcing the law ? Was it just about the $$$$. ?

ZEP

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You did a good job.That is about as nice a mount as you will get.

Why did Texass decide to start enforcing the law ? Was it just about the $$$$. ?

ZEP
The law has always been enforced in a spotty manner. Small towns were a great place to get pulled over. But a couple of months ago, a court case that had been on appeal for a few years was settled by the state supreme court. It was a drug case where a stop for no front plate started the arrest. The court ruled that the law is valid, and that the plate must be on the bumper, not in the window or glove compartment. It's like every cop in the state was waiting for that verdict, because in no time several people I know of were stopped for no front plate. They give a warning the first time, but put you in the computer. Get stopped again and it's $200. When my wife and I got stopped separately within 3 days, I figured they were serious.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
The law has always been enforced in a spotty manner. Small towns were a great place to get pulled over. But a couple of months ago, a court case that had been on appeal for a few years was settled by the state supreme court. It was a drug case where a stop for no front plate started the arrest. The court ruled that the law is valid, and that the plate must be on the bumper, not in the window or glove compartment. It's like every cop in the state was waiting for that verdict, because in no time several people I know of were stopped for no front plate. They give a warning the first time, but put you in the computer. Get stopped again and it's $200. When my wife and I got stopped separately within 3 days, I figured they were serious.
That's too bad. The Vette still looks smokin' hot..You do like Arizona, as I recall..:laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's too bad. The Vette still looks smokin' hot..You do like Arizona, as I recall..:laughing:
Love the place, but.....too many good teeth. :D

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Love the place, but.....too many good teeth. :D
:D

" Be true to your teeth, and they won't be false to you "

Soupy Sales 1960 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D

" Be true to your teeth, and they won't be false to you "

Soupy Sales 1960 :thumbsup:
And since that was 50 years ago, I am getting to see first hand who paid attention to Soupy and who didn't. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
And since that was 50 years ago, I am getting to see first hand who paid attention to Soupy and who didn't. :laughing:
:laughing: I still have 99% of my own teeth, and I DO think I owe it to Soupy, because I listened to and understood what he was saying..I was 10...:cheers:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You know, it really doesn't look that bad.

Most people probably don't even notice.

We have had that law in NJ as long as I've

been alive, (long time), and they have always

enforced it. I've even been pulled over for

the smoked plastic covers that go over the

plates. The officer said "I can't read your plate

through it," to which I replied, "Oh, can you

read." Well, $85.00 later, I guess I should've

kept my mouth shut, but at the time it was well

worth it. He was a schmuck !!!! :devil:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel your pain. I absolutely HATE the front plate on mine, but I don't need anyone out looking for a reason to pull me over.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
...actually it looks pretty good, it doesn't make it go any
slower or faster for that matter, so it becomes a Moot point....

...I uncovered mine after the first ticket, now that CA is in
a cash crunch I'm hearing more people here complain about it...:laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since our summers are very hot and some cars tend to run hot anyway, I wonder if the plate covering roughly 1/3 of the radiator opening will affect the cooling? Anybody ever had that problem?

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Thanks for nothing, Texas, for making me mount this thing on the front of my car. I got the Top Flite Reproductions bracket and color matching frame and installed it today. I got the removable version which has the main bracket mounted to a flat adhesive bracket with two wing nuts. It takes just a minute to remove it. It's ugly - just not as ugly as all of the other brackets I have seen. Pricey at roughly $200 for bracket and frame. After my wife and I both got stopped within 3 days for no front plate, it was obvious the TX law was going to be more seriously enforced. Anyway, here are the pics with the bracket removed and in place. The one with no plate shows the two mounting screws hanging down about 1/2". Needless to say, I'm bummed.

Tex, I hate to admit it since I put it off for so long.......but having the Top Flight on the front of my car is starting to grow on me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts