Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...have just fixed my new filtering sistem: a Mr gasket velocity stack, on my opinion a more efficient flowing sistem then the traditional round (or oval) filter. my impression after a few miles is that the response of the engine at low/medium revs is better, the high revving (and i guess max power) stays around same...on top of this i really like the look:thud:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've heard others say that those foam elements can get sucked into the carb and/or catch fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know T/T...infact i'm planning to change the foam filter with a custom filter element made from a K&N filter to place on top of the stack..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard others say that those foam elements can get sucked into the carb and/or catch fire.
the filtering element can't get sucked in because it is in the middle of two steel meshes (like a sandwich) but of course it might catch fire, even it's a remote posibility though...the element will be changed anyhow.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Had a buddys 69 chevy P/U burn to the ground from a backfire W/foam filter:surprised :down:

Great Lookin Car!!! :partyon:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Over the years i used those stack type air cleaners on a variety of motors including tunnel rammed dual 4 barrel dragsters, boats, and street rods without incident.....:thumbsup:

People that have cars burn down have allot more problems than foam air cleaners:lookinup:

IMO - they might straighten the air out somewhat, but the air filtration is really poor. The best carb. air flow improvement is to install stub stacks on the top of the carb and then have the biggest open element or better yet cold air induction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Over the years i used those stack type air cleaners on a variety of motors including tunnel rammed dual 4 barrel dragsters, boats, and street rods without incident.....:thumbsup:

People that have cars burn down have allot more problems than foam air cleaners:lookinup:

IMO - they might straighten the air out somewhat, but the air filtration is really poor. The best carb. air flow improvement is to install stub stacks on the top of the carb and then have the biggest open element or better yet cold air induction.
the best (and i'd say the only viable for race cars) air filter set up is, specially with multiple carbs, these stacks type of inlet...of course with such thin foam filtering element the filtration is quite poor but when performance has the priority that's it, there is less compromise and more flow.
sixties and seventies carbed powerplants had no filtration at all, only a steel mesh to keep small stones out of the engine:cheers: :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
here`s why I don`t like (and wouldn`t use) one of those, first off not enough surface area, second if you have that much hood clearance...mount a carb spacer, I believe you would gain some hp with a spacer, a drop base and a 4" filter element.......but thats just me....of course if you look at NASCAR they all run spacers and drop base air cleaners.....
.....redvetracr

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, I also had a small block and big block with alki injection. 8 tubes without anything. Not even screens. The only time it ever screwed me was on the 509 ci BBC injected race boat. It sucked in a wall of water from getting to close to another boat out on the coarse.

I've had two fires on my Vette. Neither caused much damage. One was a spit carb line that was running off the back of the motor and lit on fire when it hit the headers. I was driving slow in a parking lot and it was leaving a trail of fire behind my Vette. I saw this strip of fire behind me when this guy yelled at me. I just floored the car and shut the key off. I was able to coast away from the strip of fire when the pump shut off.

The second was stupidity. I cleaned my K&N filter out win my solvent tank and then reoiled it. I drove down to store later on. When i came out the motor heat must have filled the intake with solvent fumes and when I tried to start the car the whole Filter burst into flames. I just opened the hood and got out my fire exstingisher

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
here`s why I don`t like (and wouldn`t use) one of those, first off not enough surface area, second if you have that much hood clearance...mount a carb spacer, I believe you would gain some hp with a spacer, a drop base and a 4" filter element.......but thats just me....of course if you look at NASCAR they all run spacers and drop base air cleaners.....
.....redvetracr
16" air filters also

I'm thinking about a nascar carbon fiber air box

Depends how high the price gets

Hopefully it fits under my stock hood

1 - 13 of 13 Posts