Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often, especially noticable at idle, I hear kind of a shaking sound around the belt area on the passenger side. Seems to be coming from around where the belt straps on to the air conditioning area. Any one know what could be causing this?!? It sounds like something's loose, but happens irradically.

thanks!

David

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Every so often, especially noticable at idle, I hear kind of a shaking sound around the belt area on the passenger side. Seems to be coming from around where the belt straps on to the air conditioning area. Any one know what could be causing this?!? It sounds like something's loose, but happens irradically.

thanks!

David
Bet it only does it at idle with the A/C on...:D . The relaxed side of the A/C belt is hitting the lower radiator hose guard. Either thighten the belt or get a shorter belt.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Bet it only does it at idle with the A/C on...:D . The relaxed side of the A/C belt is hitting the lower radiator hose guard. Either thighten the belt or get a shorter belt.
I dunno why, just that I have fought that crap on several later sharks with the R4 compressor.....most of them have the complaint, and belt changes seem to not last long....

methinks there has been a large production changeover to metric in the V belt industry, and the measurements of the V pitch angle are differant....

witness the concaving of the backside of belts on olde tyme pullies in recent years....no other reason than that V is not riding the same pressures from crotch to top of the V, so the backside goes concave around the pulley...

witness they are no longer an honest 1/2" wide either....

:devil: :D :WTF :cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it truely is the belt that's causing the shaking/jingling sound, how do I tighten the belt or should I just replace it? Can I still buy these belts?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
If it truely is the belt that's causing the shaking/jingling sound, how do I tighten the belt or should I just replace it? Can I still buy these belts?
Personally I have had limited success for very long by just tightening...it's a log free toss for any belt, let alone something that appears not suited to the application.....

I have heard that NAPA may have some belts built to the olde tyme American V belt standard...but don't quote me on that, YMMV, methinks it would take an olde pahrt to know of any changes.....I"m not sure, i'ts just observations on my part, from jumping back into the olde car hobby around '90 or so...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts