Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it up and running in no time. The small cap really cleans up one of the most crowded spots on the C4.

Still need to mount the external coil, which I'll be doing off the wiper motor bolt with a bent L-bracket. Then I just need to tighten up the loose wires.

>>> See the coil installed here.

I absolutely hate wiring, so using the harnesses from EFI Connection made this a stress-less job. Only had two wires to splice, the Tach and Battery which go into the pigtail that connects to the coil.

The distributor came with cam lube for the lower gear, and the coil comes with basic mounting hardware. The harnesses come in wire loom and decent length for varying mounting locations.

Parts Check:

* MSD-8366 Distributor
* MSD-8226 External Coil
* Large to Small HEI Distributor Harness (PN: 100-00447)
* Coil Connector Pigtail - Gray (PN: 100-00445)
* Coil to Small Cap Distributor Harness (PN: 100-00444)
* Plug Wire for coil

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
That thing is half the size and twice the performance of the original. Now you can replace plug wires without using a pry bar.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice, i have the same!!

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Good idea! Now what are you going to do with all that extra room in there? :laughing:

Nice job:thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice job ! :partyon:

For those who don't know,the entire hood seal does come out so getting to the stock cap,wires ,etc is then a piece of cake. :thumbsup:
remoe all the torx screws, T15's,disconect the windshield washer hoses then pry it off the cowl to break the factory sealent. clean off the cowl etc then just use some silicone to reseal it when ya put it back on.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on the mount location for the MSD external coil. I was originally going to use one of the bolts of the wiper motor, but ended up using existing holes above the brake booster. Things are still close to the distributor and didn't require extending any wires. It's easy to access and inspect.

I used two regular L-brackets, which were bent. The existing holes were enlarged to fit bigger bolts. The hood does not make contact with the coil, and the bracket is more than sturdy (washers on the back end really help).

Now just need to clean up the wires and get them wrapped.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I need som help, i got the the harnesses from EFI Connection and i really hate wiring im so bad at it.
There are two cables that need to be connected somewhere, white and pink but where and how?
Could really need some pictures :D

Anyway the coil is mounted in almost the same location as Dan85Vette did.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There are two cables that need to be connected somewhere, white and pink but where and how?
Pink (+) and white (-) go from dist to to coil.
Old hot (pink ) wire from HEI now goes to coil Pos / white tacho wire goes to coil Neg
Done

If you are using a dual connector coil like Dan and the pre made adapter harness then you can't screw up ; the connectors are keyed and only go on one way.In one side and out the other

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes i use the same kind of coil and thats no problems you cant screw up there and in the other end one of the wires have the connctor that goes to the dist but the other one has only two loose cables. I guess the should go to the old tach and bat connector, can i just connect them with the old connector ??'
I hope you understand what i mean, hard to explain in english :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I guess the should go to the old tach and bat connector,
I hope you understand what i mean, hard to explain in english :D
You got it , just as I said above

Only need the pink wire to make it run
White is only for tacho

If a permanent install ,I would solder / heat shrink or use inline crimps for a more secure connection

·
Registered
515 Posts
I need some more room in my engine bay, is this small cap dist. also shorter than the stock one, or just smaller in diameter? It looks like you have a little more room from the top of the wire connectors to the bottom of the hood seal. Maybe its just me eyes, or the angle of the picture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts