Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive got a 93 teal Vett, and i was wondering if any one has switches over to an MSD opti spark?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also curious. Have a '93 and have been considering the same, although the price tag is a bit scary!
From what I've read in MANY mags, the stock ones are faulty in many ways -- unless you upgrade to '94-'96.
Might be easier to purchase the MSD, but don't know the real results.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did switch over to the msd opti spark after mine took a dump. I did have a problem at first. My mechanic said the connections were not for the 92 93 vette but it did match up with the cam so he some how put the other connection on it. Now it works fine. I don't feel any change but it does have a hose that suppose to eliminate the opti from getting moist inside

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put on a new OEM opti on my 93. It took 4 hours start to finish and I'm not a mechanic. The old one had a 101k on it so if I can get 60 to 80k on the new one I figure I'm doing good. The car runs great and I didn't have to make any mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also curious. Have a '93 and have been considering the same, although the price tag is a bit scary!
From what I've read in MANY mags, the stock ones are faulty in many ways -- unless you upgrade to '94-'96.
Might be easier to purchase the MSD, but don't know the real results.

I installed a Dynaspark in my 93 more than a year ago, no problems so far. MSD had not released their version yet, so they weren't an option. I don't know if Dynaspark is still in business though. (according to their web site they have a backlog of orders as they are re-engineering their product, but they are still offering a rebuild service for prior customers). Anyway, the price for the Dynaspark was about $600, roughly the same as the OEM. I believe the MSD is slightly cheaper.

Upgrading to the 95 (not 94)-96 does get you a slightly better (vented) version but there are other parts needed for the conversion, and I don't think the OEM is as well made as the aftermarket versions.

Interestingly, the 95-96 version is cheaper than the 92-94, but I'm not sure what the all-in cost is with the other required parts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey guys Ive got a 93 teal Vett, and i was wondering if any one has switches over to an MSD opti spark?
The MSD is a pretty well made piece....I've installed several of them since they came out , ALL with good results....but in my honest opinion, it's really hard (for me personally) to justify the $500 + dollar price tag for it since I've "never" had a single issue with a properly sealed and installed AC Delco factory replacement Opti-spark unit(at well under half the cost of the MSD if ya know where to look).....................Joe:thumbsup:

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
I'm still running my O.E.M. Opti, but from what I've read, the MSD unit is far better than the Accel Opti.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm still running my O.E.M. Opti, but from what I've read, the MSD unit is far better than the Accell Opti.
Yea, the Accel has had ALOT of issues(i've personally seen several with optical issues right after the installation)....IME, it's not even close to being on par with the AC Delco factory opti's.............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
The Cardone Optis are garbage, too. I helped a buddy put one on his '95 and it was defective right outta' the box. :down:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Wish there was a way to just go back to a good old HEI distributor... They never gave problems. Ahhhhh progress...:crazy:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed one a couple of months ago on my 92. Pricy but, considering that the cheap ones are just that, the GM's cost a little less but aren't vented (92-94), it's my daily driver and I'm not going to sell it, I spent the extra money.
There were a few thinks on the MSD I wasn't happy about but I'd still put another one on.

No where in the instructions or on their website shows that the connector does not fit a 92. No big deal to solder and heatshrink,though. If anyone needs the wiring diagram, I have it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My opti was broke and it took 12 months to pinpoint the problem I went with an MSD opti. Found it for $450 shipped.

The MSD opti is amazing and worth every penny. My car never ran this good.

Make sure you replace the water pump as a general rule. I bought a new waterpump for $200 at Summit just to be safe. I found out after the install that my waterpump was leaking, so its a good thing I did.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wish there was a way to just go back to a good old HEI distributor... They never gave problems. Ahhhhh progress...:crazy:
Fairly simple to do actually, people do it all the time(I've even done a couple at home myself over the years).......you can either drill(bore) the rear of the LT1/LT4 intake manifold for the regular old style distributor(and clamp), or send it to one of the several companies that can make the necessary changes for you......the LT1/LT4 block is the same as any chevy 350 underneath the manifold "regarding" the distributer hole and oil pump drive(the LT1/LT4 Cam's ALL have the gear on them as well)......a dummy distributor drive assembly is in there now driving the oil pump and it's simply removed and a regular distributor is plugged in it's place, Voila:D .........but all in all, if people can just keep moisture from getting in their opti's(IE: sealant everywhere, and attaching a nipple and a drain tube on the waterpumps bottom weep hole so that coolant cant run out on (or into) the optispark unit) 90% of them last 80 thousand miles or longer........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I didn't think there was enough room for an HEI distributor on an LT1. Seems the plenum is right up against the firewall (bulkhead to be correct:lookinup: ) I do like the little drain tube idea. Easy to check too while changing oil. I take a flashlight and give the water pump a good going over regularly.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I do like the little drain tube idea. Easy to check too while changing oil. I take a flashlight and give the water pump a good going over regularly.

i had my mechanic install a drain tube when he replaced the water pump. Didn't help, though, when a heater hose let go.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yea, the Accel has had ALOT of issues(i've personally seen several with optical issues right after the installation)....IME, it's not even close to being on par with the AC Delco factory opti's.............Joe:thumbsup:
not about optis but i worked at a shop for a few years as the oscilliscope guy, id get guys all the time saying i put this accel (part here) and now the car runs like crap, what did i do wrong?? scope the car and almost always the accel crap was bad!!! replace with stock parts and the car would run fine. i shitcanned a ton of that crap. i dont know how they stay in business. i wouldnt touch an accel part with a ten foot pole!!! just my experience, your results may vary.:D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts