Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, its been 3 years since i last logged in dcvette.com and the main reason is that my car was just garaged and was just sitting there for the last 3 years. I have a 383 Corvette with Port and Polished Edelbrock perfromer heads and a big lumpy cam with the Miniram intake, 3.73's etc etc etc. Its a very fun car with plenty of power the reason im here is to figure out which muffler type will give it a monster sound at full throttle but managable around town at low speeds? My exhaust system consists of Headers, true dual 3'' pipes ( no x pipe or y pipe) and no muffler and no cats, just exhaust tips welded unto the 3'' pipes. So as you can imagine it is loud as hell even when is idling especially around town at low speeds. Sounds like a racecar from Nascar so its to loud for the Old Folks around my area. So I was just wondering which Mufflers would benefit me as in very loud at full throttle and not so loud at low speeds??? Any help would be greately appreciated if you need more info of my mods just let me know.

Tony,

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I love the Corsas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the Corsas.
I can't find anywhere where they sell the mufflers only for a 1987 corvette. The corsa does sound nice. I think that sound just made the top unless someone else can recommend me a different type of muffler

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I can't find anywhere where they sell the mufflers only for a 1987 corvette. The corsa does sound nice. I think that sound just made the top unless someone else can recommend me a different type of muffler
I think I saw just mufflers on Summit Racing some time ago. Maybe MidAmerica Motorworks sells just mufflers. Either way, just toss the Y-pipe if you don't want it. It's like parsley. There if you want it.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I put Magnaflows on my car after driving it for awhile with no mufflers. It has some drone at 2200rpms but it still sounds great! I just got the mufflers and made them fit my exhaust I didn't buy a Corvette specific exhaust. Just find a good local exhaust shop and have them handle it.

Or as Grumpy would say, now is a nice time to own a welder.:laughing:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put Magnaflows on my car after driving it for awhile with no mufflers. It has some drone at 2200rpms but it still sounds great! I just got the mufflers and made them fit my exhaust I didn't buy a Corvette specific exhaust. Just find a good local exhaust shop and have them handle it.

Damn, that Magnaflow sounds good too, hmmmm you just threw a monkey wrench in the equation. I guess the question is, which muffler has that mean "corvette" sound at full throttle

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
The muffler eliminator route was probably my favorite exhaust roar, but it was loud in the cabin. Wife hated yelling over it on long trips.

After doing 383, cam and headers the straight pipes had to go. I'm running a high-flow cat too, which really seems to cancel out drone when I ran straight pipes too. Haven't gotten to try any of the name brand performance mufflers yet, but I used a set of OEM-style replacement mufflers from Mid America that I had. With these, both outlets are functional (unlike stock) and they do open the exhaust up without being too crazy. It's a decent option if you're looking to wrangle your exhaust but still have healthy idle/WOT. Then again, some Magnaflows would look great. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Damn, that Magnaflow sounds good too, hmmmm you just threw a monkey wrench in the equation. I guess the question is, which muffler has that mean "corvette" sound at full throttle

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
If I remember I'll shoot a short video of the sound this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

love my magna flows.. drone was helped by putting a good dyna mat type product on my rear deck.

and the best part is rumbling though parking garages and setting off alarms:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Magna Flow makes a cat back system for the 87. I attached a link. You might want to call them and ask which muffler they are using, I'm sure you can buy it separately. Also, I used to run a built 383 in my 75 coupe, and found you make better torque, and over-all performance if you run a cross over pipe between your dual exhaust, usually just down stream from the headers.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=362

Larry

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Dude, your car sounds super sweet!!!:cheers: which magnaflows do you have?? Part#? or model #?

Thanks man!! I woke up the wife while listening 2 your exhaust tone on my iPad :surprised
Well the mufflers came off a cat back system from a 92 LT-1 car and I have an LS1 in my car so you probably won't get this exact sound. A friend gave me the mufflers off a car he turboed so that's how I ended up with them. I'll try to get a part number or something off them next time I'm out in the shop.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the mufflers came off a cat back system from a 92 LT-1 car and I have an LS1 in my car so you probably won't get this exact sound. A friend gave me the mufflers off a car he turboed so that's how I ended up with them. I'll try to get a part number or something off them next time I'm out in the shop.

i know these say 92-96 corvette but im gonna get my next set of mufflers welded on not bolted on so these should fit my vette right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

if they do fit these are the best prices i found online...what do ya think?? should I pull the trigger on these?

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for some reason that ebay link doesnt show the mufflers but they are 395.00 shipped and i posted the amazon link above of the exact same mufflers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts