Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt an eraly design muncie. I bought a used case off ebay since my old one had a loose countershaft and front bearing. The 7/8" countershaft was a tight press fit and endplay was 0.005" and I put a thin coat of RTV in the countershaft hole. But the new case has a leak from the front of the case. Since it's not overfilled, I put RTV on the bearing retainer bolts, I'm guessing it's the countershaft again.
Is there some way to fix this other than bushing the countershaft hole or buying a new case? Maybe an O ring on the camfered countershaft end?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Could also be from the gland nut to retainer bevel. If it's bugged up it will cause a leak. If the counter shaft was a tight fit then it should be ok but you have to check it. I use the Permatex gasket maker, the red anerobic type, on the shaft bore. The endplay is on the tighter side but still in spec, I believe it's 005-030"
Are you sure there are no cracks in the case?

Here is the retainer bevel that mates with the gland nut. The bevel on the nut must be pointing away from the input.

Here is the nut

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics. I definietly got the nut on correctly and it was a new one. The old one was pretty rough. And definitely no cracks.
The 65 muncie I had did not include a slinger, but this seems to leak mostly while sitting.
I noticed the Muncie supercases have a thicker case and a machined area for what I'm assuming is a rubber seal/plug, so I was thinking about a thin O ring in the beveled area. The bell housing should smash it in there.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
how much clearance is there supposed to be between the slinger nut and the bearing retainer bevel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts