Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a M20 in my 1970 and am stuck. I used a clutch alignment tool and I think I am in the crank bushing, but the alignment between the tranny and bellhousing seems to be off. What am I hung up on?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How far is it from sitting all the way up against the bellhousing
All old stock parts or any new parts?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If it still won't go remove the clutch and pressure plate and install the transmission and check the alignment of the transmission, bell housing, and pilot bearing... These must be in perfect alignment or it will give you big headaches latter...

Also make sure the clutch plate slides easily on the splines of the input shaft.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You're close, but not in the pilot bushing. Try turning the output shaft with the trans. in gear. Wiggle and push.
I agree, the end of the input shaft is not in the end of the crank. There is a lot of slop even with an alignment tool and the disc probably isn't centered. Have someone engage the clutch while you wiggle the end of the tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 69. I could not get the tranny in all the way after many attempts including having my wife depress the clutch. I noticed some scrape marks on the bell housing from the heads of the input shaft housing bolts. I had taken the input shaft housing off to inspect. The heads of the bolts have to be parallel with the outside edge of the housing otherwise the bolts heads will block the tranny from going in all the way. I realigned the bolt heads and the tranny slide right in.

John

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will have to get the motor mounts tightened up and install the z-bar and linkages. Then I will try depressing the clutch. I think the weight of the clutch caused the alignment tool to sag resulting in the misalignment. The bolts and lock washers all clear (I initially thought I was caught on the lock washers).

I will report back after finding the time to give this a try. Between work, getting married, and other life commitments its hard to find the time to work on the car. :down:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I will report back after finding the time to give this a try. Between work, getting married, and other life commitments its hard to find the time to work on the car. :down:
damnit man, get your priorities straight :laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damnit man, get your priorities straight :laughing:
Coming from the guy who hasnt finished his own project.... :laughing:

I know, Im a hypocrit. :smack

·
Supporting Vendor
127 Posts
Hey............ Fred Mann is correct!
Have some push the clutch in or use a pry bar on the clutch fork to take the pressure off the clutch.
Generally we use an old transmission input shaft to align the pilot bushing instead of the plastic ones.
We also use a couple of alignment studs screw (screws with the heads cut off) into the bell housing to help center the transmission.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I got time to install the z-bar, linkages and got the muncie to move that last .5"!

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Expect a progress report on the entire car tomorrow. :partyon:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Today I got time to install the z-bar, linkages and got the muncie to move that last .5"!

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Expect a progress report on the entire car tomorrow. :partyon:
sweet :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts