Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A California college student got an interesting surprise when he recently took his car into the shop for repairs: mounted to his car’s undercarriage was an FBI tracking device, monitoring his every move.

According the International Business Times, Yasir Afifi posted pictures of the curious device on the Internet and the FBI arrived to reclaim their device without an explanation as to why they were tracking him. Zahra Billoo, an attorney with the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) said the group is contemplating legal action on Afifi’s behalf, noting two similar cases in Ohio.

The case raises new privacy issues related to modern technology. Afifi’s discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declaring it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly use tracking devices on a suspect’s car without a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway. In a similar case, however, the D.C. Circuit Court came to a different conclusions, meaning that a Supreme Court showdown over law enforcement’s use of GPS technologies may be coming in the near future.

Several news outlets have reported that Afifi has been on a federal “watchlist.”

He has two brothers in Egypt, and lived there for five years. His father, Aladdin Afifi, was head of the Muslim Community Association in California. Billoo noted that it runs one of the largest Mosques in the state and has done so foe many years. Aladdin Afifi died in 2009. There is no evidence that Afifi is connected to any radical groups.

According to Wired, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is also taking a serious interest in the case:

Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after seeing pictures of the tracking device posted online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for a case like this to challenge the ruling.

“This is the kind of thing we like to throw lawyers at,” Afifi said Alseth told him.

“We have all the information we needed,” the FBI told Afifi when they came to retrieve their device. “You don’t need to call your lawyer. Don’t worry, you’re boring. “

They shook his hand and left, Wired reports.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/muslim-student-discovers-fbi-tracking-device-on-his-car/

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:nuts: <-- Holder

·
Registered
677 Posts
His dad's name is Aladdin...I wonder if the F.B.I. tracked his carpet:D But in all seriousness, finding that thing would totally freak me out. I would be looking over my shoulder all the time expecting to get dropped by a guy in a suit at any second.:lookinup:

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
His dad's name is Aladdin...I wonder if the F.B.I. tracked his carpet:D But in all seriousness, finding that thing would totally freak me out. I would be looking over my shoulder all the time expecting to get dropped by a guy in a suit at any second.:lookinup:
....why freak out its just a tracking device, but if your up to
no good thats different...:D....if I knew it was there
I'd take it to every strip club I could find, then let them figure
it out....:laughing:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
if I knew it was there

Or let the wife drive it shopping every day, while you stay home and do something enjoyable....:laughing:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
A California college student got an interesting surprise when he recently took his car into the shop for repairs: mounted to his car’s undercarriage was an FBI tracking device, monitoring his every move.

According the International Business Times, Yasir Afifi posted pictures of the curious device on the Internet and the FBI arrived to reclaim their device without an explanation as to why they were tracking him. Zahra Billoo, an attorney with the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) said the group is contemplating legal action on Afifi’s behalf, noting two similar cases in Ohio.

The case raises new privacy issues related to modern technology. Afifi’s discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declaring it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly use tracking devices on a suspect’s car without a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway. In a similar case, however, the D.C. Circuit Court came to a different conclusions, meaning that a Supreme Court showdown over law enforcement’s use of GPS technologies may be coming in the near future.

Several news outlets have reported that Afifi has been on a federal “watchlist.”

He has two brothers in Egypt, and lived there for five years. His father, Aladdin Afifi, was head of the Muslim Community Association in California. Billoo noted that it runs one of the largest Mosques in the state and has done so foe many years. Aladdin Afifi died in 2009. There is no evidence that Afifi is connected to any radical groups.

According to Wired, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is also taking a serious interest in the case:

Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after seeing pictures of the tracking device posted online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for a case like this to challenge the ruling.

“This is the kind of thing we like to throw lawyers at,” Afifi said Alseth told him.

“We have all the information we needed,” the FBI told Afifi when they came to retrieve their device. “You don’t need to call your lawyer. Don’t worry, you’re boring. “

They shook his hand and left, Wired reports.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/muslim-student-discovers-fbi-tracking-device-on-his-car/
sucks to be him.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
The FBI is getting sloppy... or are they ? Although, every terrorist out there -will be looking under their cars from this point forward. Shouldn't be hard to spot from our satellites... as they will undoubtedly be praying beside their cars -five time a day... from this point forward.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The Government has mandated tracking devices in all cars. Traffic enforcement and licensing will change radically over the next decade.

:cheers:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
According the International Business Times, Yasir Afifi posted pictures of the curious device on the Internet and the FBI arrived to reclaim their device without an explanation as to why they were tracking him.
You mean the FBI isn't nice and sometimes plays by the "spirit of the law" and not the "letter of the law"?

There's a news item:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
....why freak out its just a tracking device, but if your up to
no good thats different...:D....if I knew it was there
Or mail it to Iran.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I almost wish that happened to me. If the FBI came to claim the device the convo would have gone something like this:

FBI: We are here to claim the secret tracking device you posted pictures of online.
Me: So its your tracking device? Interesting.
FBI: Yes. Please give it back now.
Me: Do you have a warrent?
FBI: No.
Me: Do you have paperwork saying it is yours and was put on my car?
FBI: Yes. We document everything.
Me: My laywer will need to see those documents. See you in court. Have a nice day.

:nuts:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I almost wish that happened to me. If the FBI came to claim the device the convo would have gone something like this:

FBI: We are here to claim the secret tracking device you posted pictures of online.
Me: So its your tracking device? Interesting.
FBI: Yes. Please give it back now.
Me: Do you have a warrent?
FBI: No.
Me: Do you have paperwork saying it is yours and was put on my car?
FBI: Yes. We document everything.
Me: My laywer will need to see those documents. See you in court. Have a nice day.

:nuts:
You left out the last part, where you and your lawyer wake up in Syria with some stinky dude hooking your nuts up to a generator.. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You left out the last part, where you and your lawyer wake up in Syria with some stinky dude hooking your nuts up to a generator.. :laughing:
:laughing: And that is why I argue for due process and no military tribunals. :spanked:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts