Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to buy an early 90s Mustang T5 in good condition? Would like to order one and get it crated, I can have it picked up by a shipping company to export it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Where to buy an early 90s Mustang T5 in good condition? Would like to order one and get it crated, I can have it picked up by a shipping company to export it. :cheers:
Hanlon motor sports has them new and used along with tremecs very cheaply priced. I bought mine from hanlon years ago and didn't pay anywhere near the keisler price
http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Did you get a Mustang, Dean?
The mustang tranny is a great tranny to upgrade our cars with overdrive. It is about $450 here, lots available and 89 is common..,
The 94 is stronger and actually easier to work with but it requires 2 TWO adapter plates, one 1/2 inch and one 5/8th inch but easy to do.
Both fit really well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mustang tranny is a great tranny to upgrade our cars with overdrive. It is about $450 here, lots available and 89 is common..,
The 94 is stronger and actually easier to work with but it requires 2 TWO adapter plates, one 1/2 inch and one 5/8th inch but easy to do.
Both fit really well.
A question came up as to how do you connect the spedo?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A question came up as to how do you connect the spedo?
Hanlon or a number of other sources sell the adapter since the tremec is also a ford tranny and requires it. It cost about $60 but I wiped one up myself using the stock chevy 400 unit as a donor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i thought that the input shaft length was different between the stock 4 speed and a ford trans. a friend has a tko 2 and i was thinking about putting it in the vette if it will work. can anyone help with info on that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i thought that the input shaft length was different between the stock 4 speed and a ford trans. a friend has a tko 2 and i was thinking about putting it in the vette if it will work. can anyone help with info on that.
It is. It is 1/2 inch longer so we add a 1/2 inch aluminum plate to the back of the chevy bellhousing to make up the different length and stud this aluminum plate to the ford tranny pattern and bolt the ford tranny to this plate.
If the tranny is say 94 it is actually 1 1/8th longer so we use 2 plates, one 1/2 inch thick bolted to the bellhousing using the stock bolts, one 5/8th thick bolted to the 1/2 inch aluminum plate with 4 studs comming out of it to match the mustang tranny.
While it might sound complicated it really is very simple and makes for easy setup of the tranny. You dial indicate the hole in the aluminum plate for zero runout and then add a few 1/4 inch dowels so alignment is perfect in future.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is. It is 1/2 inch longer so we add a 1/2 inch aluminum plate to the back of the chevy bellhousing to make up the different length and stud this aluminum plate to the ford tranny pattern and bolt the ford tranny to this plate.
If the tranny is say 94 it is actually 1 1/8th longer so we use 2 plates, one 1/2 inch thick bolted to the bellhousing using the stock bolts, one 5/8th thick bolted to the 1/2 inch aluminum plate with 4 studs comming out of it to match the mustang tranny.
While it might sound complicated it really is very simple and makes for easy setup of the tranny. You dial indicate the hole in the aluminum plate for zero runout and then add a few 1/4 inch dowels so alignment is perfect in future.
Do you know of anyone who sells the adapter plates? (or do you think the average joe home mechanic can make them accurately enough at home.. I would love to give this a try..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Do you know of anyone who sells the adapter plates? (or do you think the average joe home mechanic can make them accurately enough at home.. I would love to give this a try..
You need a guy with a lathe at least. You can NOT make a accurate hole at home without one. As for the holes a digital mill works great but it can be gotten around if you have the aluminum plate with the hole machined for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
back from the dead LOL.

i have found a new tko2 trans at a great price that was for a ford it will work great i think but does anyone know if there is a place that has a plate to bolt all this up. other things that i need to know before i buy what about pilot bearing diameter? any other problems that i need to think about?

·
Banned
608 Posts
Both fit really well.
:agree: Try to get the world class T5. They shipped with the Cobra's Mustang.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Try www.car-part.com - it's a nationwide search engine, I just found a few 1994 Mustang Cobra trannies for 700-950 USD..... other trannies are cheaper.... but it's a very convinient search engine if you need a used part. They have links to those junkyards who have the part you're looking for, you can sort by distance or price.... well distance doesn't matter since you're in Bangkok.... :laughing:

Some of these junkyards might ship intl.....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all but I have found a 5 speed over here from a Toyota turbo pickup. that can handle 400 of of toque with .82 OD 5th gear. Now the first gear will be quick buy my rear is under .3 so it may not be too short. I am in the process of making a lot of changes on my new 81 that i just bought. I have sold my other 81 for alot. And bought a friends 81 that I had helped on re building, again for lots.:smack

I will post pictures when everything is finished.:cheers:

·
Registered
174 Posts
so does anyone know if th pilot bearing part of the shaft is the same size as the Chevy stuff? and if there is anyone who has a prefab plate that will make it so i can "bolt it right up"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts