Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 C5 Coupe has been my daily driver to work everyday for the last few months. I had the oil and filter changed about 3000 miles ago. I monitor my Oil Life on my DIC weekly so I will know when to change oil. Normally I wait till 25 to 30% oil life left then I change oil.

About 3 or 4 days ago I fired it up and got a Oil Level Low message on my cluster. The dam thing was almost 2 quarts low. The Oil Life was at 40%.

I put it on a lift to look for leaks and the LS1 was clean and dry like it was brand new. I see no smoke of any sort from my exhaust. My Corsa tips are a shade on the dark side. I have a X1 cam that makes the vette idle pretty radical. It has a gassy smell when idling if you stand behind the pipes. My tech says this is normal for higher lift cams.

I do drive the **** out of my vette on the weekends. Can't help it, makes my adrenalin flow. It dyno's at 435rwhp.

Have I worn my motor out? Bad rings, valve guides? I got to get this fixed or just keep putting oil in it between oil changes.

What would something like this cost to get rings and possibly head work done to stop any oil usage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 01 C5 Coupe has been my daily driver to work everyday for the last few months. I had the oil and filter changed about 3000 miles ago. I monitor my Oil Life on my DIC weekly so I will know when to change oil. Normally I wait till 25 to 30% oil life left then I change oil.

About 3 or 4 days ago I fired it up and got a Oil Level Low message on my cluster. The dam thing was almost 2 quarts low. The Oil Life was at 40%.

I put it on a lift to look for leaks and the LS1 was clean and dry like it was brand new. I see no smoke of any sort from my exhaust. My Corsa tips are a shade on the dark side. I have a X1 cam that makes the vette idle pretty radical. It has a gassy smell when idling if you stand behind the pipes. My tech says this is normal for higher lift cams.

I do drive the **** out of my vette on the weekends. Can't help it, makes my adrenalin flow. It dyno's at 435rwhp.

Have I worn my motor out? Bad rings, valve guides? I got to get this fixed or just keep putting oil in it between oil changes.

What would something like this cost to get rings and possibly head work done to stop any oil usage?
Unless its a crazy amount. I think your going to find a lot of LS1s burn oil..

·
Registered
90 Posts
GM had problems and recall's on the 01 LS1 motor for abnormal oil consumption. It was normal for them to have these brought in and have the rings replaced.

Unfortunitly I was unaware of this until after I purchased mine last year with 9500 miles on it. So far I have had no problems but it is largely a garage companion for my Stingray.

Had I known this prior to the purchase I may have thought otherwise. Good Luck to you...

Tux...

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
That is how I am with my 02 Z. It comes out to about 5k mi. between changes.
Everytime I drive mine hard, I have to add 1qt in that time. If I drive it normal, it never gets low. Mine is also a DD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts