Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Readers!
Some of you may have seen my thread on the 'other' forum, but the more time I spend here (DC), the more it appears that I should have started with a post here.
Let me start by saying how much I appreciate the info posted by those who have done this before me. There would be NO WAY I could have done what I have without your posts and support on forums like these. It is an inspiration and ultimately the decision maker when I decided to make the plunge!
So I want to do my part in sharing that same information so others will be inspired.
Just a bit of History:
I bought the car in Oct of 2013. It's a 68 SB, manual, no AC. Not too many options. It was built around the end of the 68 model year (about 200 jobs according to the Black Book) and has many 69 model year upgrades on it. Somewhere along the line, someone swapped the 68 doors with ones from a 79. Another find during primary inspection was the passenger 1/2 shaft came loose at the diff and beat the fiberglass box into submission.
I plan on making this a flared restomod powered by a LS1. It's well on its way as I write this...
The best way to bring you up-to-speed is via photos:
Pickup day!

At Home

Interior:

Coming apart:

Body off!

Frame is in great shape!!!

Diff Rebuild;

[/IMG]

After:

[/IMG]

Frame Blast!

Seam Welding and Adding Gussets:

VB&P Kit installed - POR 15 on the frame:

My Son helps strip paint with a razor:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Wheels and tires show up!!!

Chassis Complete!

Fiberglass repair begins:

1/2 shaft blowout fixed:

Filling in Door locks, script, & antenna mast:

Motor & Trans are here!

Fenders & Quarters too:

Just put the motor in late Friday night!

Then I got distracted with the seats showed up Yesterday!

Did a bunch of research to make sure I will fit: I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. I will fab a custom mount for the seat (non slider) and you can see that I will fit perfect! (note the hole in the birdcage to be fixed):[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

So I have several hundred photos that I took along the way if there is something you are interested in.

I have several thousand questions that need solutions as well! Will keep this thread updated as I spend mostly weekends working on her.
Thanks again to those who have helped me get this far! Appreciate the support.
Steve

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Thanks for starting this very cool build thread. I love the progress and the direction your build is headed.
There are several of us here on DC that can help in several ways with any questions that pop up. We can even influence you to spend more money than you really thought possible
After seeing what many of the other forum members do to their projects. I have a feeling your build will do that to me. :smack

I have been through the LS swap stage with mine and cant express how awesome the LS motor is in a C3. I have so many people asking whats under the hood because of how different it sounds from the Gen 1 small block that these cars normally have. My setup is a 402 stroker Ls2 engine with a 4L70E auto trans with a 3200 stall and 373 gears, this setup is a blast to drive.

I also have a full set of full fender flares from CIC and hope to someday get them on the car, your build will possibly speed up my will to dive in and get it done.

I am really looking forward to seeing your project come together.

Terry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea!!!!!!!!!!! All over this build. How long you been working at it?

Thanks! Bought mid-October last year. Spend the fall and winter stripping the chassis and rebuilding.

It has a full VB&P 'big daddy' kit in her. I was impressed with VB&P's kit and craftsmanship.

Now that its summer, Im trying to get a majority of the bodywork done cause its a dirty job!

Steve

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Welcome to DC Steve. Another great build to watch! Love the wheels, what are they? You will enjoy all the good people and knowledge on this site.

:cheers:
Mark

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Sweet! I have seem your build in other places and am glad you are starting a thread here. The are a lot of us here that are interested in your build already. Want to see more!
I am 6'2" also. I asked my wife aka "side pipes" if she wanted to drive it. She said no so I am going to bolt my seats right to the floor.
Speaking of seats, what are those and are they comfortable?
Welcome aboard, and keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to DC Steve. Another great build to watch! Love the wheels, what are they? You will enjoy all the good people and knowledge on this site.

:cheers:
Mark

Mark,
Thanks!
The wheels are from Complete Custom Wheel.
John (the owner) knew exactly what I was doing with the car and knew the specs right off his head! They are top notch quality to boot!
http://www.ccwheel.com/

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet! I have seem your build in other places and am glad you are starting a thread here. The are a lot of us here that are interested in your build already. Want to see more!
I am 6'2" also. I asked my wife aka "side pipes" if she wanted to drive it. She said no so I am going to bolt my seats right to the floor.
Speaking of seats, what are those and are they comfortable?
Welcome aboard, and keep the updates coming.

Thanks Brent!
Your thread was one that helped me make the jump! :thumbs:
The seats are Sparco R100. I found them to be very comfortable & supportive. They are much more reasonable than the Corbeau A4's. Summit carries them.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wow, thanks! I also like the choice of wheels. They look similar to super James wheels, and his car looks damn fine.
I work for sherwin Williams and there is a product called ac10 made by hi lite solutions. It's a rust remover and will leave a phosphate residue that can be coated over. Works great.I will look into those seats when I find the money laying around with nothing to do. I have some c4 seats but I would really like to have the recovered. That price for the seats is probably less than I would spend recovering mine.
Now... Tell us about the door panels?
Hey, this is all wrong. You are the new guy doing a swap and here we are all asking YOU all the questions!
Looks like you have things under control and the build looks like it is coming along well.
Btw, cyber gray was one of my final choices when I was picking out colors.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks! I also like the choice of wheels. They look similar to super James wheels, and his car looks damn fine.
I work for sherwin Williams and there is a product called ac10 made by hi lite solutions. It's a rust remover and will leave a phosphate residue that can be coated over. Works great.I will look into those seats when I find the money laying around with nothing to do. I have some c4 seats but I would really like to have the recovered. That price for the seats is probably less than I would spend recovering mine.
Now... Tell us about the door panels?
Hey, this is all wrong. You are the new guy doing a swap and here we are all asking YOU all the questions!
Looks like you have things under control and the build looks like it is coming along well.
Btw, cyber gray was one of my final choices when I was picking out colors.

Brent,
SuperJames uses the same brand wheels, different style. His car is top notch!!!
Sounds like your product ac10 is similar to POR 15.
Degreaser (I've gone through a gallon of the stuff, Prep(etcher) and paint.

My door panels were from the 79' doors that came with the car. They were pretty ragged & had been died previously (originally they were oyster color dyed black) The die on the carpet was more grey than anything... I stripped the skin off the substrate bought the new door covers from a guy on fleabay. Good quality. Just took time and patience gluing the panels & stapling them back together. The most difficult part was riveting the felt seals back on. I had to carefully align, drill the holes and rivet them into place. I still have to drop in the pull handles and the interior release handle. Should be the easy part.
All-in-all, it was $300 cheaper than replacing the entire pad. Just takes time and patience. But I don't have to tell you about that!

FYI, Inferno Orange was in my top 3 colors... I love the color.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is looking fantastic!

What size CCWs are those (specifics, offset, bs, etc.) I assume you must be putting some big flares on the car because those rears are HUGE!

I really like the look!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Thanks! Bought mid-October last year. Spend the fall and winter stripping the chassis and rebuilding.

It has a full VB&P 'big daddy' kit in her. I was impressed with VB&P's kit and craftsmanship.

Now that its summer, Im trying to get a majority of the bodywork done cause its a dirty job!

Steve
How is the body work coming along, I noticed what I believe to be CIC's 4" rear flairs. This is gonna be a cool ride.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is looking fantastic!

What size CCWs are those (specifics, offset, bs, etc.) I assume you must be putting some big flares on the car because those rears are HUGE!

I really like the look!
Thanks!
18"x10.5" front & 12.5" rear
offset (dont quote me on this, as John at CCW knew the exact specs) 4.75" front & 5.25" rear.
Tires - 275/30/18 front & 335/30/18 Rear.

FYI, I tried to get BF goodrich rival tires and BFG didnt have them made (the rears) & were not planning to fire up production any time soon, even when I called them more than once to prompt them.
Had to switch to Michilen Pilots but had to shell out $100 per tire more!
Cha ching!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Fiberglass fun, Paint stripping not...

How is the body work coming along, I noticed what I believe to be CIC's 4" rear flairs. This is gonna be a cool ride.

Slow! Had to stop this last weekend and strip more paint to get to the areas where more fiberglass repairs are needed.
If there is any job I dislike doing so far, its stripping paint!
Anyway, both door locks are filled in, antenna, rear 'corvette' script 1/2 shaft damaged (pic above).
This weekend will be front splitter repair & more paint stripping :down:.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 453 Posts