Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is what I got... My father gave me a 69 corvette mostly original except for paint and very minor things its a automatic 350 convertible with 65000 original miles he was the second owner and purchased the car in 1970. He has now passed down to me. Car has been parked in garage for 5years and now brought it out to get it ready for summer. Just wanted some tips or advice on what I should or shouldn't do to my car? I'm just looking to give it a little more power cause it doesn't have that get up and go that I feel it should have. What minor changes can I make or add to my car to make it a bit faster keeping my same original 350?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Sounds like a nice car. If it's original then you have a pretty decent engine, even the base was 300 hp and had 10.5 CR.
The Auto should be a TH400 but the rear gear used most times was a 308 maybe that's where you're not feeling the punch you would like?
Typical engine mods were intake,carb, timing, and exhaust. You should have 2" exhaust so if you need pipes jump up to 2.5" with some good flowing mufflers. The Q-Jet carbs aren't bad once tuned and setup, and timing can be advanced as well in most cases.
If the car has been sitting a long time then I would get it road worthly and safe first. The brake system will need attention, rubber seals may need to be replaced, flush the eng and trans, prime it if it hasn't be turned over in a while, even pull the plugs ,shoot some oil in and rotate it over. Check for a nice smooth feel and them fire it up.
Once you're there, maybe you are now?, then you can decide what you want to do with it.
Good luck with it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill post some pics shortly and thank you for the tips... I did tune it the plugs have been changed new calipers all around new front bushings and belts.. I have purchased but have not installed a set of hooker headers and a magnaflow exhaust kit... If you no or can recommend anything else I can bolt on or change while trying to keep it still kinda original I'm all ears..... Thanks again. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
First test the engine. Compression, vacuum, oil pressure, etc. don't just throw money at it. 65,000 miles is a lot on a 69 engine. I would suggest a good rebuild before you try to up the power.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so you recommend i test it and then have it rebuilt anyway cause its old or if all seems well then continue my add on's??

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That is a nice ride!

I agree with IBurke- compression test, leak down test, find out what shape the internals are- you might be money ahead by pulling the original engine and dropping either a crate 350 or if you're wanting "out there" power, a 383.

Just the basics, get the distributor setup correctly, get the carb dialed in, with all that and the exhaust system you have, see how it feels.

FWIW- there are a few guys in your area that understand what's going on and can give you a little guidance if you need it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok sounds good but now just wondering what am I doing to the value of the car or how would I be hurting it as far as original and the whole matching numbers thing that I dont really seem to know to much about.. Sorry for asking dumb questions just learning and tryimg to get tips...

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
That looks like a nice pristeen 69, The only thing I would do to it is a motor rebuild and a good tuning. And maybe put it back to its factory color. It looks like a realy nice survivor...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's a beautiful car!

Without diving into the motor you can change the rear gear to something like a 3.73, it'll hurt the car's highway manners but make a world of difference in terms of around-town pep. If you're worried about originality, buy a rebuilt pumpkin and keep the untouched original under the bench. Going from a 3.08 to 3.73 feels like finding 50 hp in first gear.

The transmission could be enhanced with a shift improver kit or slightly higher stall converter, both will up the around-town fun factor.

I don't think you'd be harmed valuewise with some restrained underhood dressup like finned aluminum valve covers or chrome accessory brackets. Maybe even an aluminun manifold. Just keep the original parts and stick to bolt-on replacements that look period correct.

enjoy that sweet ride!

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Pull the matching #'s motor out, store it, and put a crate motor in.:thumbsup:

Never have to worry about ruining the original that way.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I missed the numbers matching part :thud:

IMHO, even better reason to pull the original 350 and drop a crate motor in there. If the crate goes TU, it's no big deal- if the original does, it can't be replaced at any price.
Unless you're wanting to do the NCRS Survivor.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Wow really nice ride. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Nothing personel but I would lose the trailer hitch.:D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Your '69 is very nearly original and has managed to stay that way for forty years. My advice would be to leave her that way.

The stock 300 hp is fine for cruising. The stock TH400 is plenty strong enough to serve the 350.

Paint your ralley wheels argent silver, add the caps and rings, cruise and enjoy.

:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Your '69 is very nearly original and has managed to stay that way for forty years. My advice would be to leave her that way.

The stock 300 hp is fine for cruising. The stock TH400 is plenty strong enough to serve the 350.

Paint your ralley wheels argent silver, add the caps and rings, cruise and enjoy.

:thumbsup:
That's what I'd do, drive it. If it uses a qt in 500 miles then address it, otherwise if it goes 1000+ miles before needing a qt I'd leave it alone. That car was setup as a driver,which is fine. Once you start building replacing engines, rebuilding the diff( the correct way) it's going to really add up. All depends on what you really want from it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts