Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Recognizing more & more that I need to get involved more on DC and figured I would get a build thread going here for the mild restomod I'm in the midst of with my '72 LS5. A few milestone pics...

took delivery of the car Oct 2013

Intended to drive and enjoy for a few years first, but found reasons to begin sooner and so in Apr 2014...

Frame back from powder coater Oct 2014...

Current projects include much work with Gary Ramadei (aka GTR1999 and all round great guy) on my trailing arms and also now have one of his 'Super 10 Bolt' rear end creations in the works. Really excited about the capabilities of that!

I keep a blog updated with the details because it is easier for friends/family to follow along. If you're interested, it can be found at http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/ and if you all don't mind I'll post brief updates here.

Thanks and looking forward to much help from DC no doubt! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Hello all,

Recognizing more & more that I need to get involved more on DC and figured I would get a build thread going here for the mild restomod I'm in the midst of with my '72 LS5. A few milestone pics...

took delivery of the car Oct 2013
Nice car Mndshp! Nice project too, thanks for posting a build thread.

That hood ...Lt1 I know but the bump in the middle is flatter than the ones I see for sale new, no bump at the rear. Do you know if they're
available from the aftermarket? Also, I wonder if there's a long version?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Greg,
You will find things here more laid back and without the arrogance you will on the other forum for corvettes.
That is going to be a nice car for you and your son to spend quality time together on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice car Mndshp! Nice project too, thanks for posting a build thread.

That hood ...Lt1 I know but the bump in the middle is flatter than the ones I see for sale new, no bump at the rear. Do you know if they're
available from the aftermarket? Also, I wonder if there's a long version?
Thanks! I believe the hood is just the stock big block hood with the 454 badging. Isn't the LT1 hood the same but with LT1 badging? Eckler's carries this hood as well as others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,
You will find things here more laid back and without the arrogance you will on the other forum for corvettes.
That is going to be a nice car for you and your son to spend quality time together on.:thumbsup:
Thanks Gary!!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Welcome! Great that you made it over here. You will find lots of help if/when you need it. Looks to be a really nice ride when you get her done.
I am hoping that we will follow power tour next year to its projected St. Louis stop.
Two words of advice: get an AIM, and don't change anything from stock because you will hurt your resale value.
Just kidding. :laughing:
here are my two words of advice. Have fun with it and post lots of pictures for us. We love this stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Listen to Bret, he knows. All that flare stuff could really affect the value. Look no further than Richard for top notch advice on keeping that original engine. Let's face it, we all do this for the resale value and the small amount of time these projects take.. :rolling:
Welcome! Great that you made it over here. You will find lots of help if/when you need it. Looks to be a really nice ride when you get her done.
I am hoping that we will follow power tour next year to its projected St. Louis stop.
Two words of advice: get an AIM, and don't change anything from stock because you will hurt your resale value.
Just kidding. :laughing:
here are my two words of advice. Have fun with it and post lots of pictures for us. We love this stuff :thumbsup:
Looking like I found a good home here!! :partyon:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome to DC!!!

We like build threads!!! With pictures!!!

Brent beat me to it- "you'll need an AIM" and "keep it stock"- no one would ever want a car that has been modified....

Feel free to ask questions - Lot's of hands on experienced guys ( & gals) here w/o the pomposity!!! (sounds better than pompous a$$es!!!)

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Welcome,

Great group of enthusiasts here who are very willing to help (you spend your money) however they can. :rolling:

Great looking start for a project.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Welcome to DC!!
I came here a while ago after leaving that "Other Place"
Much better...I've found a home here and haven't been back to the Dark side yet....

Anyone want to talk about oil???
Hahaha!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Welcome buddy.
I can't believe you took the body off that frame-now it's not a survivor anymore and without the original body mounts the car is now worthless. :smack

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front suspension recently came together after a bit of a hiatus over the winter. I have to keep plugging away! It's not going to build itself!

New blog post at http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/ if you're interested. I like to keep all the details there to make it easier to follow for family & friends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All...
FWIW, changed my username from MndShp to GregS_72 across internet land... reflects my name and my car.

I've got a new blog post up. See http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/ if you're interested. (it does reference a post in that other corvette forum... hope you don't mind :lookinup:)I discuss static and dynamic compression ratio as I prepare for the engine build to start soon. Includes a spreadsheet I wrote that was easier for me to use like I wanted than the online calculators I found. Also show how someone can easily set up their own. A small give back to the online community that has helped me so much thus far! :cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rolling Chassis

It's a roller again! :excited: Been slow going lately, but finally got my project to this milestone. Updated my blog at http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/ where I record the details if you're interested. Easier for family/friends to follow there. Cliff's notes...

rotor runout dialed in
stainless fuel lines and brake lines
rack & pinion steering
trailing arms by gtr1999
super 10 diff by gtr1999
rebuit half shafts
wheels & tires
sway bars

[

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice job Greg, looks real sweet. Will defiantly be following this one, and keep us posted often as you can. Oh yea I meant to say blog and not video in my PM.

:cheers:
Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
time to start on body work... wiper system removal

Baby steps for sure, but got the wiper system removed over the last couple days. An engineering marvel I think, especially considering when it was designed. Even so, I'm pretty sure I'll convert to Richard454's electric wiper door using the power seat motor... just ordered one today in fact to play around with. The main reason being I'm after a clean-looking engine bay and firewall, so getting rid of some vac hoses sounds good to me!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts