Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
headlights, front bumper brackets disassembly, nose fiberglass issues?

Finished some more body disassembly the last couple days in the nose... headlights, front bumper and brackets, etc. The maze of vac hoses served as more motivation to convert the system to electric along with the wipers. In contact with Richard454 already for advice & parts.

I have some suspicious areas on the inside of the fiberglass that might need repair. :surprised
Any thoughts on these? :huh:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Finished some more body disassembly the last couple days in the nose... headlights, front bumper and brackets, etc. The maze of vac hoses served as more motivation to convert the system to electric along with the wipers. In contact with Richard454 already for advice & parts.

I have some suspicious areas on the inside of the fiberglass that might need repair. :surprised
Any thoughts on these? :huh:

Is the excess bonding agent 'under' the rubber closeout for the front bumper support? If so, as excessive as it might seem, it appears that it could be factory.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I absolutely LOVE a new C3 build, and what a start do you have! The LS swap will be one of the funnest and most rewarding mods you'll ever do to this car. :D

Consider me....

Subscribed!:partyon:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is the excess bonding agent 'under' the rubber closeout for the front bumper support? If so, as excessive as it might seem, it appears that it could be factory.
Thanks, I'm hoping so. It certainly is an area I want to investigate sooner rather than later... get the paint stripped on the exterior in the area and see what I find underneath... hopefully no accident damage, etc!

Now the fun begins!!!!

Goodies are on the way!!!

While you are at it.....

Look at modding the headlight buckets a bit for some better /bigger housing headlights- A LOT easier now!!!

Richard
Thanks Richard! Got home yesterday and found the box of goodies for the electric headlight conversion. All looks good... looking forwawrd to testing them out and probably will seek some guidance from you when I do. :cheers:

I absolutely LOVE a new C3 build, and what a start do you have! The LS swap will be one of the funnest and most rewarding mods you'll ever do to this car. :D

Consider me....

Subscribed!:partyon:
Thanks Patro! Your supercharged LS build is bada$$!! Just the original 454 in the plans for me tho... maybe bored and stroked? Going to get the body to a point when no more work can be done on it until it's permanently back with the chassis, then pause that work to do the engine/trans. :cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Subscribed also - I'm currently prepping my 77 body for Lizard Skin application as soon as I get the adhesives and "crap" off the windshield frame and rear window area. Gotta luv this site because it always seem that I can find a build or topic that addresses something I'm contemplating. Not great at remembering to take pics so appreciate you guys that do - keep em coming Greg.

Reactions: GregS_72

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Subscribed also - I'm currently prepping my 77 body for Lizard Skin application as soon as I get the adhesives and "crap" off the windshield frame and rear window area. Gotta luv this site because it always seem that I can find a build or topic that addresses something I'm contemplating. Not great at remembering to take pics so appreciate you guys that do - keep em coming Greg.
:thumbsup: :agree: Lots of great guys over here for help and inspiration for sure, and back at you by the way. I'm contemplating Lizard Skin as well... let me know how it goes for you. Why did you choose that instead of a mat product? And I've got the same crap to scrape away eventually too... have you found any tricks to make it easier?

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My car had a bunch of excessive bonding agent from the factory as well.

I did the "Llizard Skin" inside and the Zero Clearance" on the outside.

And found the best stuff to really break down the adhesive & crap was Goof-Off Professional in the metal can- about $20/gal at Lowes/Home Depot.

Lizard Skin-

DSCN4826 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Zero Clearance heat shield-

Got it really clean-

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lizard Skin ? "cause Richard's doing it"... seriously, I struggle every day with my plan and choices and sometimes back the other way the next day, etc. For the sound and heat control I like the finished "thickness" of the spray on products and the fact that I don't have to pick one or more "stick-on" products when so many options and opinions are out there. Yes, it's slightly more expensive but I'd say much less work.

As far as the adhesives - Goof-Off, razor blade scrapers, putty knife, and the wood chisel occasionally.

(wow that's clean Richard)

Reactions: GregS_72

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
For the sound and heat control I like the finished "thickness" of the spray on products and the fact that I don't have to pick one or more "stick-on" products when so many options and opinions are out there. Yes, it's slightly more expensive but I'd say much less work.
:agree: I've used the skin on a number of builds and it works well. I sprayed it on the firewall and floor both outside and inside of my 1970. My feet don't roast like they did with the 69 big block I used to have.

:cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Paint Removal & Fiberglass Inspection

Time flies and somehow it's been 2 years since the last update on my project. Finally have the paint removed and a lot of fiberglass repair is now the next step. 20180725_140438.jpg

Lots more pics are on my blog at https://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/... would post them here too but can't figure out how other than that one attachement pic. I miss the good 'ol free photobucket days!

Need some advice too if you get a chance to look at the pics. The front end has the most fiberglass repair needs. I've never done it before (but never done any of this before and got this far somehow :crazy:). What are your thoughts on repairing what I have or just getting a whole new front clip? What would be the easiest path to take? Thanks! :cheers:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts