Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally some progress. I posted most of the pertinent info in my intro thread.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144956

Have begun tearing things apart.
1. So far: seats and carpet are out ( have new carpet, insulation, seat foam and leather covers.
2. Motor and trans are out. The L-48 is being replaced by a 425hp 355 w/700r4
3. Rear already has a fiberglass spring. Front is getting the VB&P Performance plus kit.

Today's project was getting the front brakes off and looking inside the calipers. Mind you, these brakes were completely redone just prior to parking 20 years ago. The PO said they had "Stainless" brakes installed. Not sure what exactly that means. I'll let the pic tell the tale.

There looked to be grease cake & crystallized all around the piston in the area just below the seal. Not sure what the black crud is that was under the piston. The only part of the brakes that resembles stainless is the casing that the piston moves in. On this caliper, the grease that was caked on the piston has eaten into the piston. Now I need to know if I can get replacement pistons or should I just be looking for new brakes?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You are correct, the bores are stainless sleeved. You can rebuild these with new pistons and either your choice of lip seals like factory or the better o-rings. Rebuild kits can be had for ~$150 for all 4 calipers.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Have begun tearing things apart.
1. So far: seats and carpet are out ( have new carpet, insulation, seat foam and leather covers.
2. Motor and trans are out. The L-48 is being replaced by a 425hp 355 w/700r4
3. Rear already has a fiberglass spring. Front is getting the VB&P Performance plus kit.
Sounds like you're in deep now! Look forward to watching your progress. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Fellow Coloradoan, and fellow '75er. Nice!

I looked at your intro, and it says 2010.
It would have killed me to sit there and stare at my car that long and not work on it. I haven't touched mine for a few months now, and it's driving me nuts.

Can't wait to see more pictures and progress.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats Bryan. You and I are in the same boat. I just acquired my 75 from my Brother. Has been sitting since about 1992. I just pulled my calipers apart as you did and found the same crud, mud, and gunk. The good news is that the calipers are already stainless sleeved for you as well as I. I scrubbed out the bores with scotch brite pads and some clean brake fluid. I am going to replace all of the pistons with the o ring type as recommended by the members on the forum. Good luck with the resto/build. I'll be following your posts closely as I am sure some of the things that you find will also pertain to my car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellow Coloradoan, and fellow '75er. Nice!

I looked at your intro, and it says 2010.
It would have killed me to sit there and stare at my car that long and not work on it. I haven't touched mine for a few months now, and it's driving me nuts.

Can't wait to see more pictures and progress.
Yeah..2010. Once I got it back here from Illinois I got hot and heavy into the destruction, bought almost everything to get it done and had to pause due to money. I had to help my son in NC with a child custody case. Still trying to recover from that. Need about $1k for the 700r4 and connverter, still need radiator and fans, carb, battery and driveshaft. I'm sure there will be more :laughing:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yea that sucks big time. But that's the curve ball of life huh?! What do ya do....

As for the cars....kind of ironic that all three of us (75's) got their cars from family members. Mine was my father in laws. Crazy.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It starts just like yours. Then one thing leads to another, and before you know it, it's become a labor of love. Look forward to seeing your progress!:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts