Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, Post more pictures. Last year I replaced my tired old 81 engine with a fresh,stock, GM "Universal" crate engine. Installed a 700R set-up at the same time. Paint is next/last. I have changed just about everything but the glass. Interior,front end,t-arms,rear end (3.08), VB and P Grand touring suspension,Bilsteins, American Racing Wheels. I wish I could do more, but Kalifornia smog laws have my hands tied. My next one will be a pre 75, then I can really have some fun. The car handles and stops VERY well. It will cruise at 100MPH , or 65 at 2000RPM. It just has 220HP, and that is all. It's Mommas car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You didn't install that thing with the distributor in place did you? Man, that's gutsy (or something else ;) ).

Glad you kept the valve covers. I swear, that's my favorite part of my 81.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
You didn't install that thing with the distributor in place did you? Man, that's gutsy (or something else ;) ).

I was told the castings on those type covers, were junk, and to not bother stripping and getting them powder coated, as they would not look good....so I did a set of later model steel covers instead.....seeing those with what looks like black crinkle powder coating makes me think I screwed up....

what gives man??

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told the castings on those type covers, were junk, and to not bother stripping and getting them powder coated, as they would not look good....so I did a set of later model steel covers instead.....seeing those with what looks like black crinkle powder coating makes me think I screwed up....

what gives man??
They are Magnesium. They don't weigh s--t, and seal well. It was hard to get the old paint off. Took stripper then bead blasting, but I liked the "Krinkle paint" finish.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yep. It's a DUI Dizzy. Did not have a problem with it in.. I even left the hood on. Dropped in from the side.:laughing:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was told the castings on those type covers, were junk, and to not bother stripping and getting them powder coated, as they would not look good....so I did a set of later model steel covers instead.....
I think the casting is fine but the finish isn't. That's probably what you saw and it is true. Getting the top layer of powdercoat off was easy. The finishing is hard. I used steel wool followed by finer and finer sandpaper. Finished it with Mothers aluminum wheel polish. Shines up very nicely but you'd never mistake it for chrome. Bird is right as welll regarding the weight. They weigh almost nothing.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks outstanding bro! As for the money pit, go price a new one .... You can do a lot to a C3 with $600.00 a month :thumbsup:
1) True. Cheaper than a new one.

2) Proof of always buy the best one you can afford to start with. Long term savings there.

3) As good as a new one. I won't start that one.;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Looks good man.
Got my tranny and cross member in today, few minor details tomorrow and the body is ready to drop on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts