Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 11K miles on my 01 C5 roadster. Driving around town the car is flawless. When I run up to Tampa about 50 miles away, I come home late in the evening/morning and I-75 is very clear of traffic.

I know some will criticize me for this, but for the majority of the trip, I have stretches of 3-5 miles where I don't see another vehicle. I cruise at 110 and once or twice I'll kick it up to 140 for maybe a mile or so.

The next morning I find a quarter size amount of red fluid (trans) on the floor comming from the back of the transmission and what looks like oil (dark brown) about a foot towards the front of the car.

I've taken it to my local chevy dealer who replaced $1000 worth of seals and after four times taking it back in, they can't figure it out. I plan to take it to another dealer, but I was hoping someone may have an idea of what this might be.

I asked the dealer if it could possible be some kind of valve that sprays fluid at high speeds due to high pressure. He said it could be and replaced such a valve on the car. When I asked if there were two valves that could be producing two kinds of fluid he said he didn't know!

Obviously I'm not taking my car back to this dealer, he doesn't know much more than I do. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't want to keep taking it in for the same thing and get a lemon report on carfax.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Get under it and find where its coming from after a long drive. oil will travel back wards on the car so it may becoming from the power steering or some thing up front.

·
Read Only
575 Posts
:agree: Cars rarely break right where they are supposed to!! :laughing: For example, I chased a chirping sound underneath my shifter (an old car) for months and months and couldn't figure it out. Turns out my rear U-Joint was out and the sound was traveling all the way up through the drive shaft, through the transmission and into my shifter! SO, don't rule out something in the front of the car! Try to follow the leak if you can to trace it back to it's original leaking point!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I got under it, and I can see what looks like fluid stains sprayed all around under the car above the transmission. It's an automatic by the way, should have said that before.

I'm thinking that perhaps if there is too much fluid for constant high speed/pressure, perhaps there are valves that release it. The first time I took it to the dealer all fluids were replaced. I bought the car a year ago from an older guy who I doubt drove it like I am. So maybe there is a bit too much fluid? From the factory and then from the change. If I take it easy and roll from 70-120 in fourth gear it doesn't happen. When I slow to let someone move over and jump on it to kick it down into third and keep it up to 120-140 is when I notice the fluid the next morning.

I didn't buy the car for looks alone. I'm hoping this is a normal thing and just a precaution GM takes for the guy who enjoys a midnight run occationally.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
It sounds like it may becoming from the breather tube. But under normal conditions it should not leak there.

and what you are describing as your driving habits are normal for a Vette. actually below normal. and you should have no leaks at any time from any fluids in your car.

·
Registered
956 Posts
What color is the fluid that is leaking now?

If its clear fluid, I know for a fact the diff has a breather tube and it will let diff fluid out if the diff is overfilled. This will continue to happen for quite some time and it can be a little disturbing because there is not a good way to check the fluid level on the diff. Unless someone knows a better way, the best you can do without draining and starting over is take the diff fluid fill bolt off and stick your finger in there to make sure the fluid level is not too far below the fill hole.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Breather tube sounds like a likely culpret. Especially if it happens occationally, which this is. It's a garage queen and I let it sit for weeks at a time and it never leaks while parked. It's only after high speed runs for 50 miles or so. The fluid is red and about two feet from the back bumper. Then there is also dark brow fluid (looks like oil) about a foot away towards the front. They are always in the same location.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i just went thru this with the rear diff had it serviced oil leak tada! Took it back open plug 1/2 qt to much! Drained it cleaned it down and no more leak! vent tube on diff was doing it's job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AZZ061. Sets my mind at ease. However Kanon said: "If its clear fluid, I know for a fact the diff has a breather tube and it will let diff fluid out if the diff is overfilled." The fluid towards the front could be clear fluid that is "dirty" making it look like oil. In fact it looks very much like that.

The other fluid is definitely red. Is diff fluid always clear? All work was done by the dealer so I assume there is a common fluid used. Could the red "trans looking" fluid be comming from the breather tube?

·
Registered
956 Posts
The other fluid is definitely red. Is diff fluid always clear?
The fluid I removed from my car was clear (bought used) and the Mobil fluid I added was clear. So I believe the answer would be yes, but I'm not going to pretend to know all about the different types of diff fluid.
;)

All work was done by the dealer so I assume there is a common fluid used. Could the red "trans looking" fluid be comming from the breather tube?
Its possible the trans has a breather as well, but I really don't know. I'd have to check my service manuals.

I'm trying to understand how you have what appears to be diff oil closer to the front of the car than the trans oil. The tranny is in front of the diff. The most common leak points for these cars are the connection between the tranny/diff and the seals around the half shafts coming out of the diff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there is a pressure valve spraying trans fluid on the underside of the car then it may be running to the back and dripping behind the diff. I may have two "normal" leaks here. I really appreciate all your help guys. I need to get a shop manual that shows how to check the trans fluid, unless you guys know how. Owners manual says take it to the dealer. I would not be concerned if I could check the level. Anybody know how?

That's a vital test that can be done easily on any car I've ever had. Seems like GM could put that into the dash system. You can check so many functions of the car rolling down the road, that's one they should add. I'd pay a few extra bucks for it, especially now.

I think you can check the trans fluid temp on the dash. Guess if it reads 0 I know I'm screwed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts