Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the latest edition of I cannot win for losing.:thud: I figured out that I don't have a rear main seal leak:thumbsup: Turns out The moroso oil pan I am using requires a 1\4 npt fitting and a dipstick with O rings to seal the gases and the oil in. When the motor was reved the oil was shooting out the hole and all over the back of the motor. I stuck an npt plug in the hole and removed the dipstick I was using for now until I order the right one. that fixed the problem.

While I had the car jacked up I figured I would modify my old SB shroud to seal the opening between the radiator and the crossmember. this was an sb to BB swap and I used a Dewitt radiator. Well everything was going great and I was really proud of myself at how I had modified and fabricated stuff and it actually fit and looked good. I was down to drilling my last mounting hole and was trying to be mindful of the radiator. The drill broke through the mounting plate a lot sooner than I expected and went straight into the brand new $600 Dewitt aluminum radiator.:WTF :thud:

I have found a couple of radiator repair shops that advertise specializing in aluminum and plastic rad repair but being that it is Labor day knowone is open. So exactly how screwed am I or is a 3/16 hole going to be easy to fix?:huh:

I could go on and on whining but there is no use in it so I just have to suck it up and do what I have to do.......:spanked:

Wade

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
OH **** man, sorry to hear that, gotta be a bummer...for sure....

same thing happened to me on my stockish fresh '89 Camaro rad here....when doing the DeWitt Spals install...got tired, damn drill bit grabbed, into the core....figgers....I FREEKING DENTICAL STORY.....

BUT....pull the rad out....clean the area with carb cleaner, then Denatured Alky....let dry in sunlight...then take some of that white boat epoxy sold at Boat US, boating supply stores.... comes in a small blue/white box, 2 parts....it's what I used...block off the area, make plenty of room, get the metal into shape best you can....and stop run off....

pour in the epoxy mix, let cure for several hours....good to go....make damn sure it covers the hole at least 1/4 inch all the way around, even if you have to go up/over something....

mine has held since last spring sometime....in 100f weather for 3 months now....best of luck....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pobably a real dumb bubba question but will JB Weld work? I beleive it is a 2 part epoxy.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Pobably a real dumb bubba question but will JB Weld work? I beleive it is a 2 part epoxy.
I would say YES, by i'ts reputation alone.....

I know back in '78 or so freeking DATSUN, Nissan had aluminum tubes in the a/c evaprator they were GLUED to the elbows....freeking glued aluminum in a a/c evaporator...go figger....I had fairly reasonable success fixing it for a couple of years, untill aftermarket tooled up and made a copper replacement for 100 bux.....but gotta figger the pressures, temp variations...etc....

so I know the epoxy trick will work, just a question of what type...I bet your JB Weld is fine....

need controll drip/run so it stays where it's needed, and lay against other fins/cores whatever, for support....help adhesion...

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts