Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh yes! All this talk on other forums about leaky batteries. Checked mine and the positive terminal just fell of the battery :huh: Removed the tray under the battery and there was acid ash all over the PCM. Wires looked OK but the black elec tape is a little scary:surprised Needless to say the whole area is covered in baking soda!! Has anyone else had trouble with AC Delco battery terminals. Any help from GM?

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
That's a defective battery. And, if it's a known problem, or if there is a TSB, you might get a free battery out of it.

Call or stop by the service department at your local Chevy dealer, offer him a donut, and have him go through the Technical Service Bulletins.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If everthing is well, I'm going with a Optima battery. I'm worried about the expensive PCM and all the sensitive wiring attatched. Check those batteries people, before you put your baby to sleep for winter. Hate to open that hood over winter to a acid mess like me :surprised

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
this is extremely common with the early C5'S.i still don't have an Optima yet.damn, i better do it.Good job with the baking soda.make sure to jack up the car and check the frame.it usually strips the paint off the frame.touch it up.it will take a few boxes of baking soda.if you don't remove the tape and clean each wire individually,the acid will continue eating the wires.I would even replace the wire loom.good excuse to go with red wire looms,i did... :laughing: sound's like it's been leaking for a couple day's,i would get under the car too.WEAR GOGGLE'S.the dealer even takes of the inner fender well if you stay on there butt about it.Is your car under warrenty?I think there was a TSB on the 97-2000.car's.Most of those are out of warrenty.good luck..:smokin:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I would wash the area down around the battery several times to make certain all the acid cleaned off. My worry would be the wiring getting screwed.

Doubt you would get any help from GM regarding this except for a bill when you take it in.

Good Luck.

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Originally posted by TIKTGTR ...<br>
If everthing is well, I'm going with a Optima battery. I'm worried about the expensive PCM and all the sensitive wiring attatched. Check those batteries people, before you put your baby to sleep for winter. Hate to open that hood over winter to a acid mess like me :surprised<br>
I'd let them give me a battery and thereby acknowledge the problem, ask them about the pcm, document it so to speak...then put the optima in.

For what it is worth, one of my company vans an 01 Chevy G3500 crapped out went stone dead a few weeks ago on a Saturday. We were 364 miles inside of warranty, called Roadside, they towed to the dealer I have history with. Dealer called on Monday that truck was ready. New battery, old one was dead, they covered tow, labor and battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by RT66Z06 ...<br>
Are you going with the red top or the yellow top?

Ray<br>

Ray, I'm going with the Red one. Not really a stereo nut so I don't need the yellow. Thanks everyon!! I've looked at it a lot closer today and after scraping all the crystalized ash off it "looks":huh: OK!!

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Take the time to clean each and every wire by putting the car on a lift and opening the passenger wheel well. From above nothing looked to be badly effected. I would hire a GM tech to do this as I did on my 1999 C5 when I noticed a little and I mean little acid leakage.

Figure about 2 hours labor..and no parts..

I might suggest going over to www.corvettemechanic.com and making this post. Its a site specifically for GM Corvette questions like this. The tech that fixed my car is there and very knowledgable.

Here's the link to my photo album of the temporary damage that occurred and was fixed as good as new.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/C6325D52394CFAD

Do the right thing as it can if not taken care of properly cause phantom electrical issues later on.

Good luck and it can be taken care of if done correctly

JB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts