Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to sell my 4th gen Trans Am and buy my brothers C3 roller. The car is a frame up restored '78. (completed about 8 years ago) He sold the motor and was in the process of putting a new one in and we spoke and I bought the roller.
My Tans Am was a 9sec N/A "street car" Lol :laughing:
For this build I want to make it a NICE 10.0 index car but capable of running 9's and be VERY streetable.
I bought a crate 406-10.5cr solid roller, nitrous prepped sbc. Motor made 531hp on pump gas and will see 200-250 worth of direct port nitrous.
For the trans I have a Trans Specialties th400 and 8" converter.
For the rear I will be doing the Autofab 4 link with a posi and it will have very little gear, I'm thinking 3:08.
Here are some pics.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
stock replacement fuel tank set up to run Weldon fuel pump and regulator.

using stock sending unit, Jaz rollover vent

motor pics:

Home-made mounting bracket for filter pump and reg.

That's it so far...........thx for looking

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well ,you better really build that rear and suspension really strong.Thats the weak spot on these cars,werent made to do drag racing.Ive been through 3 rears.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx, yeah I mentioned in my 1st post I was going to do the Autofab 4 link, the kit works with a 9" rear so I figure 33 spline axles should do it.
I don't have alot of experience with these cars, not any actually so ANY advice is appreciated. Dont be shy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thx, yeah I mentioned in my 1st post I was going to do the Autofab 4 link, the kit works with a 9" rear so I figure 33 spline axles should do it.
I don't have alot of experience with these cars, not any actually so ANY advice is appreciated. Dont be shy. :thumbsup:
Im sorry didnt see it,the car looks nice :thumbsup: the autofab rear is probably the best out there,good choice.Toms rear is a good choice too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Awesome build!

I like the fuel tank setup....I am looking at fuel tank to engine supply options myself.. I wasnt sure if I wanted to sump the rear, the front(since it sits lower) or go with the Rob McC 1/2" / -10 pick up that goes in the stock location... Still hashing out the options...

I am definitely subscribed to your build..... If your car is light enough, 530hp will put you in the 10.80s or so.....On 200hp worth of dope you'll go 9.70s no problem....

You'll probably need more then 3.08s though on motor.....On a 7000+ rpm engine, I would go 3.73s, 28" tire and spin it through the traps at 6800-7000rpms or so...that would be around 135mph+....Plenty for 9s and you can still drive it easily on the street...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm back and forth on the gears. I'm not real concerned how it will run on motor, the converter I bought was on a 750hp car so it would be a bit tight for me on motor alone. I'm still not decided. I had 3:73's on my TA and you're right, definately a good all around street friendly gear.
I got the tank installed today. I went with -12 fittings just to have an excess of fuel volume in the lines before the pump since I do not have a true sump. I figure I will have to race with a minimum of 1/3rd tank because like you said the front is lower than the rear.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I am curious, why put the regulator in the rear? It would be far more efficient closer to the carb.

Looks really good so far though, I wanna build a C2/early C3 someday. What direction are you going with your build?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx guys.
I originally planned on putting the regulator up front but after talking with Jim at Weldon-he said that for carbuerated applications they suggest the use of a deadhead reg. between the return reg and the carb. His suggestion is to just mount the ret reg out back close to the fuel tank this way you eliminate that extra line from the engine bay to the rear of the car and the fuel stays cooler etc.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as the direction for the car, I want a nice 10.0 index car that I can drive anywhere and go to car shows etc.
My last car was more of a dedicated drag car that I drove on the street. This car will be a dedicated street car that I can race at the track.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thats going to be one mean vette!

Love the color as well :partyon:

<------

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you guys. I'm going to pick up the converter and bolt kit for the motor mounts and trans tomorrow from my buddy. I'm also picking up a used engine hoist so hopefully I could drop this motor and trans in the next week or so.
Is it feasable to drop the motor and trans together at once or no in these c3's?
I'm probably going to weld on -10 bungs to the 2 access holes in the valve covers so I can hook up either a vacuum pump or vent it to the exhaust. It's a decent hit of nitrous at 200+ but I'm not running much compression so I really don't think I need a dedicated vacuum pump. I may even use 2 catch cans in leiu of any vacuum at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts