Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2008 (or so) Z06 wheels yesterday...$825 on craigslist. I drove two hours to pick them up and, even though I got home at midnight and had to work the next day, I managed to throw one side on to see how they are going to look. In one word, awesome! Of course, that's my humble opinion.

Anyway, I've got a little work to do on the rears but the 275/35/18 fronts fit great. The rears are HUGE, to say the least! They are 325/30/19 and look every bit it! I couldn't believe how much rubber was on these things...I believe they are 12" wheels. Anyway, I put them on last night, they bolted up just fine but I didn't try to turn them (car in neutral) as I knew they were hitting. For one, they were touching the muffler and I'm sure a few other spots as well. So, I'm off to get a spacer today so I can get this thing rolling tonight! Not sure how big to get so I think I'll grab a few and try them to see what works best. Obviously I'll have to get Grand Sport fender extensions (anybody have advice on something as an alternative to the expensive Grand Sports?). I also plan on dropping the car in the front and rear, just wanted to wait till I got the wheels to do so. They pics show the car just after I put the wheels on...note it has not settle on the springs after being jacked up.

Anyway, I'll have more pics as I go. Thanks for looking!

Fronts:

Untitled by clemson_tiger29679, on Flickr

Rears:

Notice the difference in the size of the black mark and the new tire width!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks great!!! Ill be using 4 OEM fronts on my track car, and this is getting me excited. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a search with not much luck. Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to look for in the rear wheel wells that can be moved/removed to provide a little extra room for the tire? I'd even take a pic of the rear suspension/wheel well area if anyone can link one. Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
The big things that you need to make sure the wheel clears are; trailing arms, frame at top of wheel well (above sway bar link), muffler (as you found out), and longer lowering spring bolts. If you are only rubbing on the muffler after your install I would say a 3/8" spacer should put the wheel far enough away from everything, but that is just an educated guess.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Also dont forget, if you cant get 9 turns or more on the lug nuts, you need to change the wheel studs to longer studs. Lucky you have a c4, much easier to do. I have to change my c5 studs and its a royal pain in the ass.
There are spacers that bolt to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer, but those are 1" and up sized spacers. If you cant get 9 turns on the lug, your pushing your luck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also dont forget, if you cant get 9 turns or more on the lug nuts, you need to change the wheel studs to longer studs. Lucky you have a c4, much easier to do. I have to change my c5 studs and its a royal pain in the ass.
There are spacers that bolt to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer, but those are 1" and up sized spacers. If you cant get 9 turns on the lug, your pushing your luck.
The wheel shop told me 4 1/2 turns...but I certinaly like 9 better! :) I'll know tonight...plus more pics tonight in better light!

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
The shop i use wont let a car out of the shop with less than 6 turns. I use alot of spacers as we have alot of cars with different sized wheels. The spacer company always give me crap when i use a 1/4 spacer with stock sized studs. Youtube has some vids of roadracers and drag racers snapping the wheels off.
The the wheels look great on the c4 bro. Ive had a few c4s in my day as well. Looking forward to the final pics.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here goes guys! I ended up using like a 1/8" spacer on both sides. I actually probably don't need it on the passanger side as it looks like it would clear the muffler without. I think I could get away with no spacers if I could get the muffler bracket loose on the drivers side and shift the muffler in 1/8". The muffler brackets and bolts/nuts are rusted, for obvious reasons.

I drove the car a few miles and I hope it settles a little more. Either way, I'm planning on lowering the car all the way around in the very near future. I'm extreamly happy that the 325's fit! It looks awesome! Here are some pics...it was raining and the car wasn't washed, but you get the idea. More pics to come on a sunny day. Also, sorry for the quality...cell phone pics.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those look Awesome!! :partyon::partyon: I love how the rears stick out just a little, but not too much. Looks Great! :cheers:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look Awesome!! :partyon::partyon: I love how the rears stick out just a little, but not too much. Looks Great! :cheers:
Thanks! I really want the Grand Sport extensions but I'm just not paying $300-$400 so I'll just have to get used to the tires sticking out just a little. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks! I really want the Grand Sport extensions but I'm just not paying $300-$400 so I'll just have to get used to the tires sticking out just a little. :)
I was never a fan of the "stick on" look of the GS flares, but I seem to be the only one. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Looks go bro...

I agree lowering would really make everything pop! All my past c4s were slammed. But i didnt think you can really go much lower, the wheels will hit and crack the fenders yeah? The GS flares wont solve that problem.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks go bro...

I agree lowering would really make everything pop! All my past c4s were slammed. But i didnt think you can really go much lower, the wheels will hit and crack the fenders yeah? The GS flares wont solve that problem.
I noticed yesterday that the rear barly scrubs every now and then when I hit a huge dip, so lowering the rear is indeed probably out. You are correct about the GS flares not solving this issue, but they would help hide the tire sticking out past the rear fender well. It only stick out 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and honestly, I like the look of these wheels so much that I don't care. :) Either way, the flares would def help the issue...I just gotta keep looking for someone who has a set cheap cause those little strips of fiberglass are not work $300! LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I lowered mine about 1 inch with the longer bolts from a lowering kit but didnt lower the front. Use a 12mm spacer in the rear and they will fit except the very outside of the tire rubs a little at full compression. You can cut the lip of the fender well under the GS flares and it will not touch. Also had to add 1/2 inch longer studs with the spacer. The fronts are 19 x 10 with 285's and fit perfect, and the rear are 19 x 12 with 325's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this wheel setup on my -91 and I use no spacers. I set the camber to almost zero and had to take away some material on the trailing arm bracket and bolt head. >Some rubbing on inner fenders though. Awesome look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts