Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Below is a self-explanatory timeline for my order. I have read MULTIPLE C8 order experiences all over the net, but it is very obvious from them, that GM's build system and Bowling Green's manufacturing line/system had a very flat learning curve for the C8 going into 2022 - due mostly to the post-Covid supply issues that have haunted many industries including the automotive industry. However, in 2022. BG C8 units produced rates have mostly leveled off at about 980 per week in 2022. There have been several one-week closures in 2022 attributed to parts shortages, but 2022 has had, by far, the most consistent high build rate year for the C8 generation. We can expect to see these rates temporarily drop as new C8 models like the E-Ray, ZR1, and The Zora make their way into production, but BG is probably closer to "normal running" than at any time since 2019. Therefore, the below might be "normal" until the back order of Stingrays and Z06s begin to approach only a few thousand.

I hope the information below helps someone.

Order Timeline
3/9/2022
I called approximately 6 dealerships that were publically listed as dealers not charging Market Adjustments plus Boardwalk (my 2007 purchase dealer). Most ARE charging markups. ALL quoted ~36 months wait for Z06. Bomnin Dadeland Florida offered no markup on the Stingray nor on the Z06 with waits of 9 months and 24-36 months respectively. $500 to go onto each waiting list, refundable up until I give them the details for the order for each and the order is placed with GM. I reserved a place on both lists after calling the Dadeland website number and being transferred to the person I had been speaking to (not a fraud). Sent $$ ACH.
3/12/2022
Received a receipt for ACH transfer from Dadeland for the deposits - email
6/20/2022
Called Dadeland and confirmed I was on their list. They said to expect a call from them to place the order from late September to mid-November - dependent upon BG production issues.
10/29/2022
The dealership notified me that they are ready to book the Stingray order on 11/2/2022
11/2/2022
Order placed with Dadeland Sales Representative. A $5,000 down payment wire is required as soon as reasonable. The sales Rep emailed a copy of my order back to me. I checked it against my Corvette website build. Perfect.
11/16/2022
Received an email from Chevrolet confirming their receipt and acceptance of the order: "Your Corvette is at the starting line." However, there was no mention of the numerical order status
11/21/2022
Called the GM Corvette Concierge to find out the numerical order status: 3000​
12/14/2022
Chevrolet email: "We appreciate your patience, Your mid-engine masterpiece is still moving through the Corvette Order Status Program." In hindsight, this was probably the notice that the order is at 3300.
12/24/2022
Received an email from NCM, Shane Webb, requesting the wording on the interior NCM delivery plaque. He stated that the dealer signature was also required, so I printed, signed, and attached the image to a return email that copied my Dealer contact, requesting that he do the same. He did so the next day.
12/28/2022
Reached out to Shane at NCM, asking for the current order status and best guess at when delivery could take place so that I can make air and hotel reservations. He also told me that the "T-Shirt" bra purchase and installation($25) can be arranged through the NCM Corvette store and their PDI team. Order status is 3300 with a TPW of 1/16/2022. Delivery is approximately two weeks from the day the car comes off the production line.
12/29/2022
Applying Shane's information with the most recent assembly line time per production unit, the delivery date at NCM should be between 1/31/22 and 2/7/22. Still too risky to book airline or hotel reservations.

1/9/2023 Shane at the NCM has notified me that my NCM delivery is TENTATIVELY set for February 1, 2023. Exciting.

1/23/2023 Becky at NCM has confirmed my February 1, 2023 delivery and provided lots of good information about what comes with the delivery, what documents are needed by me to complete the delivery, and how to get those docs. So I have reached out to Dadeland Chevrolet, Florida, my MSRP C8 dealer, for the docs they are to provide.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
I looks like you will be driving a new one in February. Make sure I know the date and I might be able to come and see it

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please see the update at the bottom of the original post above. :)

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1/23/2023 Becky at NCM has confirmed my February 1, 2023 delivery and provided lots of good information about what comes with the delivery, what documents are needed by me to complete the delivery, and how to get those docs. So I have reached out to Dadeland Chevrolet, Florida, my MSRP C8 dealer, for the docs they are to provide.

Reactions: HN376RAR

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yesterday was my NCM delivery day. DC's Tripple Dizzle and The Torch went FAR out of their way to travel to BG to meet up for my delivery. Two really great guys whom I cannot thank enough for braving snowy and icy roads to meet and take a plant tour together, then have to turn around and head back to avoid the expected severe weather. Thanks sooo much guys.

The Folks at NCM impressed us quickly with their knowledge and their desire to help. Our tour guide, John, seemed to know every nuance about the Factory and the car. He was even able to recite my VIN number without looking at the sheet. He said it was easy when you know what each of the letters and numbers means. Regardless, we were impressed.

At the factory, he led us on a 1.5-hour tour that was amazing. One example is the 500,000 Sq Ft Paint section of the plant. Employees entering the painting area are subject to "air washes", must wear a special zip-up one-piece, and head ware. No aftershave or perfume is allowed because those airborne molecules could mix with paint to cause flaws on the panels. We saw a group of Elkhart Lake Blue panels painted and clear coated by automated arms about 6-7 feet away from another arm doing the same to another set in Torch red. Overspray is prevented by downdraft air circulation that is accounted for in the programming of the painting arms. All overspray goes into a membrane that is eventually recycled as a component for cement. When each set of "arms" finish a panel set they return to a station that cleans them, changes over to the color required for the next set to paint, and then sends the cleaned arms out to paint more panels. All of the panels for each Vette are painted together, then baked, then separated, and sent to the various parts of the plant where each is installed. The area we saw was obviously well-lit, but the lights were for our viewing benefit because there is this could easily be a lights-out operation, repeated flawlessly over and over again with near-perfect results each time.

Eventually, of course, all of those separated panels meet up again on one Vette. Pretty impressive given the size of the Plant and the number of operations and assemblies performed. It appeared that many, many panels, subassemblies, and parts are moved via "self-driving" carts following paths determined by signals in the floor. Each stops and waits until the cart in front of it has moved on...or cleared after installation. We saw front and rear subassemblies raised to join the rest of the body and chassis and OH HOW I WISHED they would let us take pictures of that. SO COOL. Ironically it reminded me of the reverse of this operation that is required for most rear-engined Ferraris when it is time for some of its normal periodic maintenance that costs thousands; NOT the C8.

Torch and Tripple D, please chime in with anything I missed (I know I missed some things here) and any corrections. We saw a LOT of stuff yesterday.

The Museum Tour is also not to be missed and extremely informative, but this post is already far too long. I'll wrap this one up with a screenshot my son took from the NCM delivery cam that was streaming when John was schooling me on the setup and usage of the C8 features. I didn't realize until just now, that this is the best pic I have of my new Vette. So thanks for following this experience. I hope it helps or at least entertained some of you.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Reactions: rheavn

· Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I being a retired truck driver have been in many factories. Most require ear protection to enter. That’s just to be on the dock to unload freight. I couldn’t believe how quite the Corvette factory was. That’s what really stood out to me. That and all the new Corvettes in different states of assembly.

Most of the employees that made eye contact would acknowledge us with a smile or a slight wave. I know this has nothing to do with production but impressed me all the same.

I’m glad I braved the weather and made the trip. If nothing else to meet Longtimer and his wife, very wonderful people. Everything else was icing on the cake. I know you have a big smile while driving your new Corvette on the first leg of your trip home. Hope your better half enjoys her pampering at your first stop. Safe trip Longtimer.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
What a great day not only the plant tour but mostly meeting Longtimer and his lovely wife. Like LT said John was super knowledgeable and made the delivery experience go smoothly. This is a pic beside his new Vette in case you want to see what us old farts look like,
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
746 Posts
Congrats on the delivery and thank you for the write up. I shared it with a co-worker and urged him to check the R8C box.
;)

I feel compelled to share a pic of myself now. Unfortunately, I have none of me in front of the toys. This LinkedIn pic will have to suffice:
Smile Dress shirt Table Wood Tie

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks to Tripple Dizzle, The Torch, and all who followed. Here is a pic on the first SUNNY day for my new ride. Taken in the Opryland Hotel parking lot - 35 degrees, but it's smoken' hot IMO. :D That's my wife's hat in the window. Yes, she's short but she can see out well enough from there. As you see, Elkhart Lake pops in the sun. The boomerang is the optional Shadow Gray but in person looks identical to the wheels (70th Anniversary wheels) that are called MidnightGray. BTW the car is filthy from the drizzle in BG and trip down, but still looks pretty good from this distance.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ooops, almost forgot. I asked John if in his, experienced and inside opinion, the BG plant would ever put on a third shift to satisfy current and/or future demand for all of the new Vette models. His VERY quick and firm response was, "NO." So my guess on another thread on this subject was WRONG. They target 94 cars per shift per day so don't expect much variation from that maximum.

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Norm, keep in mind that I adopted the "Longtimer" handle TWENTY years ago when I joined DC. At that time I had been driving Corvettes every day to work, et al for 27 years...a long time.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
TWENTY years ago when I joined DC.
You've been around here a long tine.

Date Joined: Nov 6, 2003. Original DC member# 3668.

I wonder if any of the old timers remember their original DC member number. Mine was 799

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had forgotten mine. We've decided to detour South at Flagstaff. I want to spend a day in Prescott and then on to Phoenix to see some relatives we haven't seen in too long. We'll go right through Sedona. Tempting to try to contact Patrick.

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
That would be cool. BTW DC Started on January 3, 2003 with him as member #1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts