Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start be saying that I have the utmost respect for NCRS, what they stand for, and the cars they preserve. I also know that I can never be part of that crowd because I'd rather drive and enjoy than preserve. That being said...

I took the 82 to a gathering this weekend. A group of guys from the local NCRS chapter came over and began "judging" my car. I already know my car isn't perfect and I already know that I have no intention of seeking certifications with it.

The group, one guy in particluar, began putting down every little thing he could find wrong with it, to the point of being rude and insulting. I let them know that I am comfortable with the fact that I do not have a 100 point car and walked away to avoid getting pissed off. They remained at the car for another 15 minutes.

No real point to my rant. Just didn't understand why my car, or any car, can't be appreciated for what it is, be it NCRS certified, custom, or worn out turd.

PS - I drove it home in the rain! :surprised

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Was this a judged event, or were they just offering their unsolicited opinions?

If the latter, I would have asked them to go offer their opinions to someone else who actually gives a ****.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I also know that I can never be part of that crowd because I'd rather drive and enjoy than preserve.
I'm standing right there with you brother. :thumbsup:

There's a place for trailer queen cars, but with my limited budget allowing for only 1 car, it's going to be driver!!

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Was this a judged event, or were they just offering their unsolicited opinions?

If the latter, I would have asked them to go offer their opinions to someone else who actually gives a ****.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Was the "gathering" an NCRS event? If so, were you parked on the Sportsman field?

Were the members of the "crew" actual NCRS members, or just local Corvette club dudes?

Just the same, you can find as*holes in any crowd. NCRS membership is not required for that organization.

:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The event was a non-judged display at the local Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just because you have a satin jacket with your name sewn on it, and an NCRS or local Corvette club logo on the back, doesn't mean that you know jack.

For what it's worth, I've been around Corvettes for most of my 36 years. My father has owned a Corvette restoration shop for 30 years, and worked on Roger Penske's Vettes back in the 60's, including the original Grand Sports. I've been with him in his shop, and at dozens of shows, when these "experts" start to "preach". 90% of the time, we just have to laugh at them. He's judged shows in the past, but stopped years ago. Most of his fellow judges couldn't tell the difference between lacquer and base/clear.

Enjoy your car, drive it, love it! Screw anybody that would put down a guy, or his car, who took the time and effort to come out to a weekend get together for car lovers and appreciators!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That attitude is the very reason I'm not a member of the local club and won't be. They turned me off years ago when I first bought my car. Bunch of dicks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Those guy's gave me a hard time too!!I can't imagine Why??
:rolling:
(If I want a car to look at, I'll build a model!!)

·
Registered
677 Posts
That attidude is the very reason I'm not a member of the local club and won't be. They turned me off years ago when I first bought my car. Bunch of dicks.
I have ran into similar vette guy's.They would all park their restored vettes together and they were beautiful to me but they were all alike maybe one was a stick,one red,one green or one had deluxe interior.(You get my point!)Anyway the people would all admire the cars and move on.The crowds would still gather around the customs and it drove them nuts!
Even though we would walk by and compliment their cars,
(I like a nice restored vette,just have no use for one.) they would still get nasty.They could not just say that they didn't like something they had to be rude.(Talk smack)I bet half never even turned a wrench on their own car because they didn't even make sense sometimes when they got into the mechanical talk.:crazy:
I guess I'm just a car guy.
If that is what being a vette guy is count me out.
I hope it is just a small group.
I would like to think that we as vette guy's have some knowlage of our machines and it is more than something that we ran out and bought just because we had the money and wanted it as a status thing.
It's OK to have the look at me car!Thats part of it!
The nose in the air attitude and the thought that it makes us have the right to be arrogant because we own vettes has no place ANYWHERE.IMHO

I fell in love with the car! Not the thought of just owning one.
SHOWME.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have ran into similar vette guy's.They would all park their restored vettes together and they were beautiful to me but they were all alike maybe one was a stick,one red,one green or one had deluxe interior.(You get my point!)Anyway the people would all admire the cars and move on.The crowds would still gather around the customs and it drove them nuts!
Even though we would walk by and compliment their cars,
(I like a nice restored vette,just have no use for one.) they would still get nasty.They could not just say that they didn't like something they had to be rude.(Talk smack)I bet half never even turned a wrench on their own car because they didn't even make sense sometimes when they got into the mechanical talk.:crazy:
I guess I'm just a car guy.
If that is what being a vette guy is count me out.
I hope it is just a small group.
I would like to think that we as vette guy's have some knowlage of our machines and it is more than something that we ran out and bought just because we had the money and wanted it as a status thing.
It's OK to have the look at me car!Thats part of it!
The nose in the air attitude and the thought that it makes us have the right to be arrogant because we own vettes has no place ANYWHERE.IMHO

I fell in love with the car! Not the thought of just owning one.
SHOWME.
Yes sir! When I had my blower on the car I was making a u turn at a show and this old lady hit her husbands car and pointed at my arm and said "that thing sounds broken" I guess she thought the blower whine was a power steering pump going bad.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
LOL yeah I have been parked at a few places with freinds who have had cars pretty cammed out and it never failes, some older guy who just assumed we were young and dumb would procede to tell us that we needed to get the car looked at because it was missing, or timing was off, or something.

Sometimes we would try to explain that it was cammed, but they still wanted to act like they knew more about the car than we did telling us that whoever worked on it screwed it up and this and that and its not suppose to run like that.

Yes sir! When I had my blower on the car I was making a u turn at a show and this old lady hit her husbands arm and pointed at my car and said "that thing sounds broken" I guess she thought the blower whine was a power steering pump going bad.:laughing:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Man screw those dudes. They probably can't even drive their cars worth a damn. If we can't all burn rubber and raise he'll together then what's the point of even owning them. Find comfort in knowing that you could probably leave rubber in their face on any given day:devil:The only thing correct i'm worried about is how to correctly dust some some fools like that. :devil:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts