Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do YOU pass the time after work and before you goto bed and on the weekends? I consider myself to be an intellectual and as such need to keep my mind occupied in my downtime. And I have found absolute bliss in 3D printing. After some experience with 3d printing and for my 3rd machine I bought a Tevo Black Widow printer. I was taken by the thick aluminum extrusion frame and large build volume..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought this machine back at the start of 2017 and from the time I purchased it I was committed to making it my own. From searching thingiverse and joining a facebook group for my printer I found 7 mods that I liked and printed parts for and applied to the initial build and from the start My Black Widow looked like this..

Early on I realized I needed a layer fan. That is a fan or fans to blow air directly on the hot filament leaving the extruder. I ran 2 fans in the beginning as it was the design I found on thingiverse..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I switched from the belt drive with one stepper motor to 2 stepper motors for Z like every other printer uses..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then after some firmware updates for the mainboard and the TFT i gained the ability to pause a print and change filament at will. This required human intervention during a print but in truth is the beginnings of multi material printing for me. And so i hung 5 spools of filament from the top of my Black Widow's frame so the filament changes could happen easy and fast..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I have embarked on an ambitious project to take the human intervention out of the 5 filament printing. I am doing this with the Prusa Research MMU2S, SKR 1.3 mainboard, LV8729 stepper drivers @ 1/128 micro stepping with the tft35 v3.0 touchscreen. I have also converted this machine to linear guides. Here is what my machine looks like today..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,470 Posts
All that simply amazes me but it looks like loads of fun

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have been slowly collecting gas signs and putting them on the side of my barn. They all light up with LEDs. Part of the fun is traveling to get them and meeting new people.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now that is cool. I wish I had a barn. If I had a barn I would fortify it. Bury it in a mountain of concrete with long term food storage, weapons, video cameras and maybe even some type or sort of missile defense system. Short range should be enough. Then I could realize my dream of a place for me and my printers safe from the persecution and judgement of my wife.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have finished reworking this printer. Somebody cue the Imperial March..

So now I have to program this thing. It has controllers but they are blank slates. I have to download universal firmware and customize it for my specific application. first 5 color print should be coming up here soon.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I'm fortunate that our engineering department has a 3D printer, which I've already used to make parts for my cars. Last one was a custom bracket for an oil catch can.

They really save a lot of time compared to what we used to do. Back in the day we'd have to machine up a fixture for a job, which would take hours of a draftsman's and machinist's time to draw and them setup and cut out of aluminum. Now it can be printed out from the same computer file without having to create a drawing or waste a block of aluminum.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am making progress. So far the stepper driver expansion boards and the MMU2S are killing the 5v supply from the mainboard. I might need to create an additional 5v like from a wall wart or something. We will see. But for now here is everything all powered up and looking the part..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here is the completion of my rework. The result of an imagination paired with skills..

I couldn't be more pleased with how all this looks..

I even got a few prints out of it but I wanted to try different stepper drivers and I plugged 3 of them in backwards and when I turned on my new machine I let the smoke out. I now wait for a new mainboard and new stepper drivers before I can continue with bringing to life the Multi Widow. And I made a thingiverse page sharing all of the parts I designed as .stl files. That page is right here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4048939

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I am now going to rework the first printer I ever bought, the GEEETech i3 pro B. I bought this printer for under $200 3 years ago and it has already seen waves of reworks. But now I want to upgrade it to a 32 bit mainboard, throw in some more precise stepper drivers, add some bracing to the frame, and make some changes to the routing of some of the wires so all wiring is behind the machine. Here is what this printer currently looks like..

I made all the Multi Widow parts in translucent red PETG. I think I will do this printer rework in translucent blue PETG. And while that roll of filament wont be here until tomorrow I have already designed some of the stabilizing pieces for the frame. This part I will mirror and print and have 2 identically opposite parts that go under the Z stepper motor mount plate and lock onto the long threaded rods under the frame. This part will keep the top of the frame from flexing forward..

I really like the way that the Multi Widow came out. I am so happy with the placement of the displays and am going to recreate that same look here. I am also going to have the display mounts double as a 20mm tall support to precisely locate the Z rods at their base. Here is the LH side that will house the buck LM2596 step down converter with voltage display..

Now I need to make the RH side that will house the tft32 touchscreen.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And here is that part..

Now I just need this spool of translucent blue PETG filament to show up so I can start printing this out.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just gotta finish wiring it up and I will have 2 24v 32 bit printers..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The future for FDM printing is multi material. It is in awareness and acceptance of this realization that I have built the Multi Widow..

She works with 5 spools of filament at once. :D

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Now that is cool. I wish I had a barn. If I had a barn I would fortify it. Bury it in a mountain of concrete with long term food storage, weapons, video cameras and maybe even some type or sort of missile defense system. Short range should be enough. Then I could realize my dream of a place for me and my printers safe from the persecution and judgement of my wife.

Just print a barn, duh.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finished reworking the very first printer I ever bought. Back in may of 2016. I had a build thread on this forum of its initial assembly. Right here: Anybody Here With A 3D Printer? . And now it is so much more..

This printer will be the single filament companion to my larger multi material machine. They look good sitting next to each other..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,470 Posts
How many different pieces have you made so far?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts