Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to posting this up. I've had the trailing arm on my car and I've driven the car around the block and LOVE the results! No more noise from the back end of the car, ahahhaahha.

Well, it started with me yanking out the D44 and sending it off to be rebuilt. I also took out the driveshaft and halfshafts, dropped them off at a driveline shop, and had them balanced and new, solid, U-joints installed. Well, since the back end of the car was stripped down I was able to free spin the rear bearings. I found that the driverside T/A bearins were SHOT! The passenger side seem to spin (and felt) just fine. The D/S, I could barely spin with my hand. And, as you can see by the photo's, the bearings were DEF shot! The poor car has been sitting for SO long it has just taken its toll on the parts.

Well, I contacted Gary on the forum here and after a couple of phone conversations, I finally shipped him my D/S trailing arm.
Now, I sent this over the busiest shipping traffic time of year...Christmas! My crate got to Gary after 6 business days, from CA to CT! UPS ownes!

Now Gary got to work right away on the arm. He sent me SO many pictures, too! I couldn't believe it. Now, I have to say this, I did not ask or imply that I wanted any pictures at all! He sent me the pictures on his own accord. And I am very grateful he did, because I am very fascinated by the process and to see my own car part go through the process is awesome!

I can't thank Gary enough for his hard work and his EXTREMELY low price for what he puts into the rebuilding of these arms. He itemizes his WO's and his labor price is sooooo much lower then I would have ever imagined for the amount of time he actually put into the part. I am very impressed! Hell, I think I spent a total of 3 hours of his time, just on the phone, hahahahaha.

Enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm another Gary fan :thumbsup: I talked to him a couple of times on the phone and then went out to visit with him.

I have a new 3.73 12-bolt sitting in a crate at the shop here that Gary built up just after your T/As, and he's finishing my new offset T/As from Van Steel with the full coil over package now. If he doesn't suffocate under the snowfall back there I'll probably see my T/A's late next week.

Spring is going to be fun!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I SO look forward to having Gary build me a Super 10, and rebuild my TAs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
wow very impressed. im gonna have him do my ps box and my rear once in ready......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not to be redundant here but.... GARY RULES! lol I had him rebuild my steering box and I had the same experience you described! There are certain members among the online Corvette community that are indispensible and Gary is definitely one of them! :partyon:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gary's work is awesome to say the least. He's done the trailing arms and the steering box on the blue beast and if the differential ever goes kaboom, it will be headed to New Haven for sure!

Thanks Gary!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gary did my OEM steering box on my 65,000 mile 78 L-82 4 speed in October (2010) and I drove to CT from RI to personally meet him, deliver the steering box and talk with him-Gary is a true craftsman and a great corvette guy! He spent 2 hours talking with me and taking the box apart while I was there, inspecting it and explaining what he was going to do to blueprint/rebuild it, and at least an hour with me when I picked it up 1 week later. He also sent me pictures of his work that whole week-tons of pictures! The results on a box that was in very good condition were spectacular!!! The custom rebuild process with custom bushings, hand adjustment, and new parts produced a steering box that is far superior to the mass produced non adjusted factory new box! I am totally convinced by the end product that all the folks with Borgenson/R&P steering (Rack Attack, Steeroids, and all the other fancy marketing names) can get very similar steering with the factory OEM steering box for a fraction of the cost! If I want a borgenson steering box I will drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee or any number of cars that have R&P steering today which is just about all of them! I obviously believe in maximizing the design of the C3 components and often wonder why folks take a C3, add a C4 suspension, rack and pinion steering, and put in a LS1 engine-Is that a C3? or something else with a C3 body only? Gary is the best and he will be doing my trailing arms as well when I get to them!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics, brings back memories...
I ended up re-doing my trailing arms. They had previously been rebuilt per the previous owner, but I decided to dive into them anyway and make sure all was right. The arms looked okay from the outside but inside there was rust. Hence, they were blasted and painted on the outside & inside. I rewelded the arms at certain places to make sure it was strong. My arms also didn't have any parking brake pieces so I had to install all that stuff. It's a lot of work man and very tricky, it took me 3 times to get it right.
We are lucky to have a good resource in Gary. He has a reputation of doing very fine work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not surprised by all the good things said about Gary.
all he did for me, and the time he spent on the phone, and my trailing arm, really show's that he is very much indeed a great asset to the Forum!!!!!

I will be sending him my P/S Trailing arm for rebuild just so I know that it is up to the demanding task of taking my C3 down the highway in confidence.

So, as an update I wanted to share my experience with my C3 this weekend.
I took Code 3 down to the gas station and filled it up with $70 worth (20gal) of 87oct unleaded gas and 1 can of Seafoam.
I put over 200 miles on the car and did a huge amount of freeway driving in it. The first place I visited was my buddy's tire shop for a pair of 245/45/17 tires to replace the worn out front tires of my car. I then spent the rest of the afternoon and night, driving around to various locations and then meeting a friend for his birthday dinner.
I am SO impressed with this car, I can't believe it. YES it creaks and rattles, YES it sucks gas like there is no tomorrow, YES it leaks from the 30 year old rotten weather stripping...but I don't care! I had a blast driving the car around and I had nothing but confidence in all of Gary's work, as well as my own with a 1980 Corvette pulled, rotten, from a field and brought back to life!
This will DEF be a fun car to continue to rebuild.

Thank you, Gary, for all of your hard work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long did you car smoke after adding the seafoam? I heard it cause quite a noticeable smoke screen when you add it?

It didn't smoke at all.
I didn't put the Seafoam through the brake vacuum hose. I just added it to the gas tank and ran a full tank of gas. I think I'm down to about a 1/4 tank, now. I did pull the plugs and they are very clean...which is so shocking to me considering the poor condition that, not only the car, but the carburator is in. I mean, it IS 30 years old!!!! But the damn thing just keeps going.
Oh, it is a CCC car.
I have done the Seafoam mod to one of my other cars and left a white cloud behind it for about 4 miles, though! It was not very well taken care of, though. My Vette (even though is WAS rotting in a weed covered yard for over 2 years + rotting in a driveway for who knows how long) seems like it was taken care of for its 80k miles that are on it. The motor has fantastic compression and the main bearing I popped off shows no sign of excessive wear, or heat/oil issue's. I feel kinda bad about swapping it out...but then again, it IS only a 1980. Its nothing rare or valuable.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Thank you John and all the others for your compliments. I've enjoyed helping those of you I worked with and look forward to hearing about your cars once back on the road:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear end help

Thank you John and all the others for your compliments. I've enjoyed helping those of you I worked with and look forward to hearing about your cars once back on the road:thumbsup:
I take it you are the Gary that does the rear wheel bearing work? As you probably can tell , I just joined and I am an newbie to C3's. I have some questions about what I should do to my rear end. Dont have any issues right now, but I know there are know issues and would like to talk about what I can expect and what I should think about doing to head them off. Would you be willing to talk to me about this?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I take it you are the Gary that does the rear wheel bearing work? As you probably can tell , I just joined and I am an newbie to C3's. I have some questions about what I should do to my rear end. Dont have any issues right now, but I know there are know issues and would like to talk about what I can expect and what I should think about doing to head them off. Would you be willing to talk to me about this?
Sure I can PM you my ph#.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've had Gary do some work for me, it was all good. But we have to watch the compliments, or Gary's head will be so big he won't fit it through the front door!...J/K Gary...keep up the good work!:partyon:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I've had Gary do some work for me, it was all good. But we have to watch the compliments, or Gary's head will be so big he won't fit it through the front door!...J/K Gary...keep up the good work!:partyon:
Hey Gary, well maybe I'll start up a "fatheads" web site!!:laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts