Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I saw this area on the site and thought it was a great idea ! Id like to share my story of how I obtained my 87.

A little about me first. Ive always played with cars since I was about 14. When I was a young lad, my mother had a couple C3 vettes and I developed a love for these cars way back then. Corvettes have always been my favorite, regardless of the generation, I love them all.

Ive worked as a mechanic, gave it up to work at FoMoCo. During times of layoff, and "economic slowdowns" Ive always went back and worked at the garage of an old friend of mine.
Ive built a few cool cars, a couple V8 Monzas, a couple Camaros, both gen 2 and 3s. My last gen 3 was an 82 Z28 with a 468 big block chevy. Last year I finished restoring an 1980 Z28 and use that as our "summer" car.

This brings me to the Corvette...

I was checking ads on our local kijiji classified ads. Now, Im always in search of something within my abilities to buy, fix and sell to make a few bucks. While cruising the ads I came across a yellow corvette, the engine had some issues, the car had been on the back burner for a year or so because of a pending divorce. At the end of the ad, it said - interested in trades for diesel pickup, diesel generator, something interesting of same value.

I contacted the owner by email, told him I just happen to have a old 95 dodge cummins 2500, I may be willing to trade. We swapped pics back and forth, asked a boat load of questions each. I told him the old truck barely had a panel without rust but ran like a cummins should. Bone stock, never been touched or monkeyed with and 400 thousand kilometers on the clock. He told me the Vette was in the middle of a MAF to SD swap and he had basically given up after buying a 68 Chevelle earlier last year.
The problem was, we were 6 hours away from each other, so we made arrangements to meet here, he'd test drive the truck, Id look over the car and we'd go from there. All went well with that part, he and I agreed that we would be honest in our evaluations of both vehicles in the emails and when we met. Well, Im here at DC so he liked the old Dodge enough to do the deal, and I was happy with the overall condition of the vette even if I had to change the engine.

A a gesture of goodwill, I told him if we did the deal, Id let him drive the truck 6hrs home with my plates and insurance, for bringing the Corvette to me to look over.

We shook hands, signed the ownerships, and he left for home in the old truck !

I now own a yellow 87 !

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That for this....

What do you think of that !

:cheers:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts