Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is a list on my first mods for Dirty_Red this month, Please tell me what you think, and what else I might need.

1. Corsa Pace Car Exhaust System/w Pro Tips
2. K&N High Folw Intake System
3. Coolent by-pass kit
4. AC Delco MAF Sensor (1000+ cfm)

Jesse:lookinup:

·
Banned
591 Posts
1. Corsa Pace Car Exhaust System/w Pro Tips

I prefer quiet stealth

2. K&N High Folw Intake System

I prefer a blackwing

3. Coolent by-pass kit

no HP gain

4. AC Delco MAF Sensor (1000+ cfm)

not needed unless you do heads and cam

my .02

:cheers:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
This is what i would buy,i have the sidewinder now.I sent you a P.M. on the other mods.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Hey Hawaii, where did you see that cold air intake. I'd like to get a little more info on it. Does it fit on the C5? or is it strictly C4?

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
poncherello said:
Hey Hawaii, where did you see that cold air intake. I'd like to get a little more info on it. Does it fit on the C5? or is it strictly C4?
This is at www.thelapd.com it's for the C5,The t-1 cobra is what i have now,this wasn't out when i bought my intake.This also has a ram-air plate that can be removed,it's a great system and repells hurricane type rain,here is a picture of the one i have now.

the system in the top picture,starts out like mine,but instead of the 90* turn,it goes up to the liscence plate cavity.When you go race,remove plate and ram-air time.They claim 25 hp and torque,with-out the ram-air function.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
This is at www.thelapd.com it's for the C5,The t-1 cobra is what i have now,this wasn't out when i bought my intake.This also has a ram-air plate that can be removed,it's a great system and repells hurricane type rain,here is a picture of the one i have now.

the system in the top picture,starts out like mine,but instead of the 90* turn,it goes up to the liscence plate cavity.When you go race,remove plate and ram-air time.They claim 29 hp and torque,with-out the ram-air function.:thumbsup:
I think you can pick up 29HP if you have a 600HP engine and it can't suck enough air for the blower, then the lower restriction helps.

But, for a stock motor, I can't imagine 29HP otherwise GM would have done it.

Thoughts?

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
29 HP seems like alot just by adding the cold air intake. But I'll take a look at it. I would guess you need to cut the back of the license plate area out in order to make that function like a ram air. :huh:

By the way, how can I post a picture in the thread. My screen says I may not post attachments.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I think you can pick up 29HP if you have a 600HP engine and it can't suck enough air for the blower, then the lower restriction helps.

Thoughts?
I always doubt horsepower claims.(thats why i said,"they claim")G.M. can't even get away with a [email protected] with modded lid,it wouldn't pass the Federal new car intake noise,and water injestion laws,or i'm sure they would.

How about the V-ram,they claim 40 hp,:laughing: so thats like saying put a v-ram on your car,and now you have as much power as a Z06.
I never dynoed my car(dynos don't win races),but the intake i put on,knock .2 off my 1/4 mile and added 2 mph.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
How about the V-ram,they claim 40 hp,:laughing: so thats like saying put a v-ram on your car,and now you have as much power as a Z06.
I got the V-ram installed on my 2002 and it gives me as much power as a Z06. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts

Thoughts?
Hi Patrick,
three years ago I would have fully agreed to you. In the meantime I had to learn some things about the LS1.
One thing is that the LS1's air filter housing is like a tight air restrictor. There are only 4 small holes in it, each like the little finger of a child. I made some mods on my '99 FRC and made topspeed tests on the Autobahn before and after the mods were installed (same day, same weather, same way, same point of clocking, just two hours later). This method of comparing seems to me quite sound. The following mods were made:

-Donaldson blackwing with housing and cut out plastic base, so the filter gets the cold air directly from the bottom.
-SLP MAF sensor.
-Vortex airbridge with silicone coupler.
-Ported throttle body.

Everything else stock, even the exhaust.
In stock condition the FRC made 5800rpm / 177mph, with mods I could clock 5900rpm/180mph.
According to good old formula of vehicle dynamics ( v = k * 3rd radix(p) ) you can calculate, the hp gain is quite exactly 25 horses.
I've been told, the LS1 was intentional throttled over the air intake, because when they put the first prototypes on the dyno in 1992 or 93 it had lots more horses than were intendet.
In the meantime I've added an LS6 intake manifold and an open exhaust, now it revs straight 6000 in 5th gear, that's 184mph. Not bad I think!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts