Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in from a Wednesday evening drive. After buying my first vette I immediately had the top end redone (stock). new egr, coil, nox sensor etc., we have already documented the smog fiasco. Once I got the car running reasonably well I noticed a bad noise coming from the right rear wheel. Turns out it was the bearing inside that huge aluminum hub. That bad boy cost me $200, then after 215 more for labor, finally, I actually got to drive the car. Put on 50 miles delicately tonight. Everything seems good. Do all vettes ride like a log wagon? Stiff I quess. Long time since I drove any kind of performance car, never one so low to the ground. Did not want to have too much fun until I put 500 miles on or so. Still it was fun, top off, warm night, oh yeah! I knew I bought this thing for a reason. Just thought I would share :laughing: Is it true that the automatic should not be driven in OD under 41 mph? meaning you should not drive around town with the indicator on the d with a circle around it?:huh:Lots of questions to be entertained, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Congrats on getting a chance to drive the vette!

As far as the ride, yep they are rough, but new shocks help, especailly if those are original :)

I have never believed people saying not to drive an auto in overdrive, that is what it is made for, unless pulling a boat, which I doubt you are doing. However, I like to keep it in drive and manually shift after 45-50, just like the sound of the engine that way. Besides most don't even go into overdrive until after 40+, which is the same as driving in D anyway...my .02

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine always went into overdrive when I hit 40 while cruising. But if you want to change that, you can adjust the TV cable to make it go into overdrive later. Very small adjustments though if you try. Probably better to not to do that, but you can.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
welcome Red Rider
gotta love the ZR-1:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
First, congrats on your ride. And, welcome to digitalcorvettes.

I agree with ChiMan, if those shocks are original (or even old replacements) you are in for a bad, jolting, unforgiving ride. And, you can't tell if the shocks are bad just by bouncing a corner of the car.

In my 96, I replaced all 4 at 40k miles. I didn't realize how bad they were until they were off, and I could open and close the shocks with my hands.

Having your OD on at 40mph does not seem bad at all. I can put my GS in 5th gear at 35mph, and drive just fine.

Enjoy your ride!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride.

I try to keep my A4 in "D" until I hit around 50mph. If I use "OD" at 40 she just seems to bog down alittle.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats:thumbsup:
If you leave it in OD and it doesn't seem like it is searching for a gear (between OD and drive) then you will be fine leaving it in drive while you are cruzing.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Since you have a very early C4, the ride will be rough. Corvette engineers softened the springs over the years. I like how mine rides but, it's all a matter of perspective. I like my ride when others think it's really rough.

Congrats on the Vette!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You're not supposed to drive in OD below 40 because the tranny will keep shifting back and forth from 3rd to 4th since that's where the shift point is set. In stop and go traffic for extended periods, this could over heat your tranny and cause damage.

Congrats on the new ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are on it. Thanks for that. I'm not interested in changing the status quo...yet... just wondered if it hurt the car to drive around on surface streets in OD. lt1vrt, that was my understanding on any vehicles with overdrive. Just want to know what is best in its stock configuartion. Obviously, it is no big deal to drop the shifter down a notch. I noticed out of all the forums I have checked on, the DC guys are prompt and interested, thanks. That is why I chose to be here.:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you're just on the streets cruising, You won't run close to overheating your tranny. Some people like to keep it in D which gives the perception of a little more power since you'll be turning higher rpm's. Leaving it OD will work just fine too if you don't want to mess with it.

But If you want to be street racer man, Downshift to 1st and go through the gears at each light. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Roger said:
I noticed out of all the forums I have checked on, the DC guys are prompt and interested, thanks. That is why I chose to be here.:cheers:
Thanks for the compliment! I just love this place, the people are smart, funny, helpful.... and they make my day!:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
welcome Red Rider
gotta love the ZR-1:thumbsup:

Thanks, I do enjoy the car alot. Having a C5 in Hawaii is cool. Would have liked to rent one when I was there for vacation, but couldn't get one :(

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
RedRiderZR1 said:
Thanks, I do enjoy the car alot. Having a C5 in Hawaii is cool. Would have liked to rent one when I was there for vacation, but couldn't get one :(
Hawaii-5-lo will let you borrow his car. He beats on it himself, so you could just treat it like a normal rental car.:laughing:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome RED RIDER!:cheers: Ecklers sells a delay switch that delays the tranny from going into overdrive. It installs in minutes....you unplug the plug to the tranny & plug it into delay & plug delay into the tranny....Kinda like an extension cord. I bought one for another vette I had & it worked well. Another option is a shift kit (I love my trans go shift kit) .:thumbsup: It will delay the overdrive shift, stiffin your shifts & barks second nicley (I love chirping second!:excited: ) !!! Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Hawaii-5-lo will let you borrow his car. He beats on it himself, so you could just treat it like a normal rental car.:laughing:
the funnist thing to do,is go about 30mph in reverse and then slam it back to 1st.BAM.we did that with a mini-van at least 5 times in a row,and the tranny never broke?:( the van did not run to good after that,but it had all the gears.

Red Rider,did you go to exotic car rentals?i think they only have a couple C-5s.$400 a day for the 50th ann.now the ferrari's and lambos are $900 a day.:surprised thats a week in a nice hotel.i was thinking if Patrick comes he can say he had to rent one for a company lunch.:thumbsup: then i could race him on the highway.:smokin:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Congrats on the new Vette Roger!! :smokin:

Try lower tire pressures for a softer ride. Probably no lower than 30 psi. if you want your tires to last. If you're already that low then I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Your torque converter is programmed to lock around 40 mph under normal throttle. My 87 was programmed to do it at 42mph. I hated that b/c most of the speed limits are 45 and under near me and that thing was constantly locking and unlocking. I was able to change the lock-up speed to 48 mph when I got a custom chip.

RedRiderZR1 has a good idea about the TV cable. When the slider is all the way in the re-adjust tab, you'll get your highest shift point and the hardest shift feel. That will also raise your lock-up speed but only a couple mph. The more you pull it out toward the front of the car the faster you will shift, and that will lower the lock-up speed, also the more you pull it out the softer you're shift will be.

I'll share my set-up for example. I have mine pulled out 5 clicks so that the trans is shifting into 2nd at 18mph so that by 20 mph (in town speed limit) I'm not really on the gas at all. It's also a good street setting w/ WOT shifts around 4800-5100 rpm's. For the track, I'll push the slider all the way in so the trans will shift at 5200-5500rpm's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
the funnist thing to do,is go about 30mph in reverse and then slam it back to 1st.BAM.we did that with a mini-van at least 5 times in a row,and the tranny never broke?:( the van did not run to good after that,but it had all the gears.

Red Rider,did you go to exotic car rentals?i think they only have a couple C-5s.$400 a day for the 50th ann.now the ferrari's and lambos are $900 a day.:surprised thats a week in a nice hotel.i was thinking if Patrick comes he can say he had to rent one for a company lunch.:thumbsup: then i could race him on the highway.:smokin:
hawaii-5-lo: I hope you dont do these stunts with your C5. Something fun to do in a beater, but not a vette.

When I went there, they didn't have any vettes, and everything else they had there would be cool, but too much $$$.
Dont want to break too much into mod (mad) money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Speaking of shocks. When I had my 87 coupe, that thing did ride rough. It had Bilsteins on it. I had this favorite corner by my house(sort of a test bed) and the car held good till I hit 100. It scared the crap out of me because it just walked over a lane (thank god it was there) didnt have any room for error when I came out of the corner. It just jumped around. Checked it out and the bilsteins were bad. No wonder it rode bad (Bad Shocks). I went and put on KYB shocks. Wanted something smoother than Bilsteins. It rode much nicer after I put the new shocks on. Smoother ride and that corner was FUN again. Side note, DO NOT BUY FALKEN TIRES. Serious understeer when I replaced my goodyears with these on that same corner.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I'm an old fart so my car rarely comes out of overdrive, been driving that way for years and four vettes, no problems yet. :)

By the way, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new ride. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts