Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the pictures of all the cars in the rain in the Cars & Coffee thread and remembered how I drove my new vette home, about 2 hours, in a pretty good steady downpour. It'll be 3 years ago May 3rd. It started out as a pretty nice early Saturday morning but as my wife and I drove to the dealer the ominus black clouds began to form and sure enuff, just as I pulled out here came the storms. Not exactly what I had planned as my first Corvette driving experience. I'll admit it. I was a bit nervous. I was driving this high powered sportscar, for the first time, in a driving rain storm. My wife was driving in front of me so I just followed, paying more attention to the car and letting her do the navigating home. It rained all the way and when I got it in the garage I just stared at my wet vette, not really believing it was there. Of course, the next day, a Sunday, it was a beautiful sunny day. Figures. That was the only time my car has seen rain. Yes, I'm one of those.
So I was wondering, does anyone have any stories about crazy things that happened on their first trip home with the new car?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had almost the same experience.
I picked up my vette July 3. 2008.

When we got to the dealership the sun was shining...As we were going over the paperwork it started to get really dark outside.
My wife stayed to finish up the paperwork as I drove the vette, for the 1st time, to our home.

I was constantly looking up at the sky as I was driving.
When I finally got to the house I backed the vette into the garage and within moments it started to rain then down pour.

I made it without getting the corvette wet.

The only time my vette has been in the rain was at Corvettes at Carlisle 2009 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many years ago sold my 63 convertible (in 1981), knowing that just around the next corner my next Corvette will be there. NOT!

30 years later (February 26 2011) after looking for months on Craigslist near and far and any other place they may have Corvettes listed for sale, and trying to get approval to buy one, you know.

Finely the day came Saturday, 26, found a 2008 6 speed black 44,000 miles on it. Just what I wanted, test drove it YES I WANT IT. NO! Had my wife and my daughter with me. Did not like the black one with 6 speed manual. There was a 2002 YELLOW convertible there they both LOVED it, 12000 miles on it - chrome wheels auto. Nice but I could not see me with a YELLOW Corvette. I like to be a little less noticed. I’m old. But over in the back was a 2004 Lemans Blue Commemorative Edition Convertible 24,000 miles, I would take that one; they liked it, but still liked the yellow one. I show them I bought it. It’s a Corvette who cares.

Went and signed papers, DID NOT TEST DRIVE IT, it was get late. It’s a Corvette who cares. They got it out and washed it put the plates on, started 1 ½ drive home. Got my VETTE. My wife went with me and not my daughter, I was surprise. About 5 to 10 miles in my trip home I had a very BAD feeling, it rode worse than a 3 ton truck with no load on it. Every bump was a noticed, living in Ohio roads are not the best anyway. Not HAPPY, Got my VETTE!

The good news after getting home, I just may be nervous with my new ride. That night I found the FORUMS, looking around. Read about run flats may be my ride problem, then I saw a article about Magnetic Ride F55, 03 and 04 had spacer in the shock and dealer forgot to take them out on a lot of Vettes. One night after work I had to look, jacked up back wheel, removed it pushed up the boot on the shock, there it was a white plastic spacer on top of my shock. Removed both back ones, still have fronts in. Went for a test drive crossed RR tracks and bumpy roads WOW like a new car. THANK YOU ALL THE FORUMS FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR US, ALL CORVETTE LOVERS I might have never enjoyed my CORVETTE without you guys. The poor guy who had the car before me may be why it only had 24,000 on it

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I picked up my 2007 Vette from the dealer, it had 4 miles on it. Drove out of the lot, adjusted the tilt of the steering wheel, the adjustment lever fell out onto the floor. Pulled over, snapped it back in, never a problem since. But it was not a good feeling after buying the car.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I bought mine in '06 from a dealer just north of Philly (while I lived in NC)....Driving it home I coulda sworn I was goiung to run out of gas because the fuel gauge was barely moving- we had to stop and fill up the HHR that we drove up there in (hahaha gogo rental miles). Got back to Bragg and still had 1/4 tank left rofl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts