Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :buhbye: A good friend of mine is looking to buy a 1990 C4. This car is on a small lot here in town. I walked up and took a quick look at it today, and have to say it is a nice looking car. The car has almost 80,000 miles on it, so that works out to be almost 4,000 miles per year, give or take a bit. I have been asked to go to the lot and do a top to bottom inspection and test drive of the car with my friend. I am not a used car genius by any means. What are some out of the ordinary things I should look for? Are there any specific Corvette things I should be looking for? Don't want to see my buddy drop his cash on a car that is going to be a basket case. We are thinking that $6500.00 will be the first offer, and try to keep it below $7250.00 at the top end. Thanks :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Hello :buhbye: A good friend of mine is looking to buy a 1990 C4. This car is on a small lot here in town. I walked up and took a quick look at it today, and have to say it is a nice looking car. The car has almost 80,000 miles on it, so that works out to be almost 4,000 miles per year, give or take a bit. I have been asked to go to the lot and do a top to bottom inspection and test drive of the car with my friend. I am not a used car genius by any means. What are some out of the ordinary things I should look for? Are there any specific Corvette things I should be looking for? Don't want to see my buddy drop his cash on a car that is going to be a basket case. We are thinking that $6500.00 will be the first offer, and try to keep it below $7250.00 at the top end. Thanks :cheers:

same stuff as normal cars.. what things do you have wrong or noticed on yours?
don't believe the warning lights-- those are easily reset and problems may not appear with just a few minutes idle or a short drive.

Be wary of very fresh looking fluids on a car this old-- recently changed to mask a problem.

bring a vacuum guage and watch for flutter at idle.. old school basic idea of engine condition

be wary of not stock looking items-- not every DIY 'r is a master mechanic

biggest thing is unreported wreck damaged. they were the top of the line once and worth the money to repair at one time... so look for paint mismatch, peeling, gaps around the back of the doors off, more than normal or excessive alignment shims-- especially not symetrical front back and equal on each side.

leaks around the back glass corners. windows not aligned.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tell your buddy to thoroughly inspect the body for rust....and see if he fallls for it! :laughing:

Had an x-gf that was looking at a fiero some years ago and i asked her if it had any rust on the body. She said hold on let me go look again and sure enough she went back to the car and looked it up and down. :smack

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell your buddy to thoroughly inspect the body for rust....and see if he fallls for it! :laughing:
:laughing: Thats funny...If he treats the car anything like his Harley, it will live the life of a queen and so it should. We will see what the weekend brings.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3 biggest PITA's on my 90 were the air bag light, red infl light in the DIC + the seat belt man will stay lit. Its a problem with most/many 90's.

Bose radio & speakers are junk & pricey to repair/replace.

Injectors will need to be replaced if they have not been done. Multitech injectors fail with ethanol fuel. If its a 6sp the dual mass flywheel will rattle @ idle, this is caused by half hearted injector operation. If the engine is nervous (shakey) at idle the injectors are probably on the way out. If one fails the engine will not start when hot.

First year for speed density engine management system, 91 also had it. GM went back to mass air flow in 92.

Check the anti lock brakes, the pump should run for a few seconds when vehicle speed reaches about 4 mph.

For a while I wished that I would have bought another 89 but the 90 is sorted out now & runs like new money. Love the "fighter pilot cockpit".

A good set of Bosch 111 injectors can be purchased @ FIC for a reasonable price.

Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts