Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the deal. Since the headlights in my 87 Coupe did not rotate, I did extensive testing as per forum member's recommendations. Found BOTH motors were damaged. They were in a really crappy condition since water somehow entered them. So I went to a local GM parts distributor and ordered the upgrade kit (like the one Mid America sells) to use 1988-90 motors. The 1984-87 motors are relay-driven (3 relays). 1988-90 motors are driven by a module. I read the instructions TWICE before begining the installation. The relays were eliminated as per the instruction manual, all splices were checked twice against the instructions, all work done with the battery disconnected. When finished, I turned the headlight knobs to manually close the headlights, connected the battery and turned on the lights. VOILA!!! The headlights opened. Nice, very nice. But when I switched them off, the headlights turned off but THEY DID NOT CLOSE!! So I disconnected the battery and rechecked all the connections and splices to make sure they were tight and correct according to the manual. They still open but do not close.
Any forum member tried this conversion kit? How can I trouble shoot this problem? Please help. This kit costs almost $600 and my car still looks the same wit the lights popped open.

:(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard my last post about headlight

I deserve a :spanked: and also a:nuts: . I always say that I'm Mechanically inclined but when it comes to a car's elctric/electronic systems I'M really dumb:surprised .

Today, after posting the half-assed post above, I assembled the headlight with the covers and started aligning the left side assembly. Then I realized that the head light connector that feeds electric current to the headlight was off. So I connected it and gave it another try. VOILÁ!!!!!!! BOTH sides opened and closed correctly. :surprised :surprised :surprised I could not beleive it. It seems, and my experience confirms it, that in order to close, the headlight has to be ON and then OFF. Apparently, it sends a signal to the module that tells it to close. I thought that signal was sent by the switch position.

Sorry:huh: :huh: for the inconvinience. You can all put away your manuals until the next time I goof off.

Really, owning a Corvette is a learning experience.

Now I can go :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: and :partyon: :partyon:

The wife will be happy since it really was her idea of fixing the headlights and yesterday she came from work and found me ROYALLY PISSED OFF.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So the almost $600 spent, was well spent. Now, all I have to see is what else breaks down.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Congratulation. Don't you love it when you figure something out on your own. :)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
This is good to know cause now none of us should have to go through the aggravation. Your efforts are apprecatiated:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Re: Disregard my last post about headlight

AlfonsoGomez said:
I deserve a :spanked: and also a:nuts: . I always say that I'm Mechanically inclined but when it comes to a car's elctric/electronic systems I'M really dumb:surprised .

Today, after posting the half-assed post above, I assembled the headlight with the covers and started aligning the left side assembly. Then I realized that the head light connector that feeds electric current to the headlight was off. So I connected it and gave it another try. VOILÁ!!!!!!! BOTH sides opened and closed correctly. :surprised :surprised :surprised I could not beleive it. It seems, and my experience confirms it, that in order to close, the headlight has to be ON and then OFF. Apparently, it sends a signal to the module that tells it to close. I thought that signal was sent by the switch position.

Sorry:huh: :huh: for the inconvinience. You can all put away your manuals until the next time I goof off.

Really, owning a Corvette is a learning experience.

Now I can go :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: and :partyon: :partyon:

The wife will be happy since it really was her idea of fixing the headlights and yesterday she came from work and found me ROYALLY PISSED OFF.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So the almost $600 spent, was well spent. Now, all I have to see is what else breaks down.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
ops:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Cool. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts