1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Click Here for Header Info

So...

I decided to do headers on my car.

I've had my choice narrowed down to LG Pro’s or Dynatech Supermaxx for a long time.

I decided to get the LG’s Pro’s based on reputation and seeing them in person at the recent Bloomington Gold show – I had to have them.

I started this project about 2-3 weeks ago. I’ve moved into a new house also during this time. In fact I think I closed on the house got the keys, moved in, started the header project along with 5 other new home related projects the first week. Then the girlfriend visited for 7 days during the holiday - plus I work full time…………..and……….well a ton of **** has been going on.

Today I am ready to put the car back together.

Here are a couple of pics:

I bought some socks for my plug wires. This should keep them cool inbetween the header tubes. :cool:

Some heat shielding I got from C6Dude. This stuff is great. It is very pliable and has a very sticky back. I used it to wrap the O2 sensors and sims. I used it on the starter housing. I used it on the starter wires. Where ever it looked like some thing was to close to the header tubes - I applied this stuff. ***IMPORTANT*** I also wrapped the clutch line on the drivers side. If this catches on fire - your car is toast. Just some advice that was given to me from a friend.

Another view. Adam's towels make great fender protectors during projects. :D

More "junk". I've taken over my entire garage with this project.

Just a shot of my garage during this project.

Driver side header just hanging there. I had to remove alternator, valve cover, coil pack, plugs and completely disconnect and remove the AIR tube on this side. ALSO - the spark plug and last manifold bolt were a bitch to get out. This side went in from the Bottom.... The car had to be jacked up way in the air. I'd say close to 3'. Special thanks to C6Dude for stopping by and helping with this procedure.

Passenger side header almost bolted up - just test fitting. I had to remove the starter bolts and push it out of the way. I also removed the Oil dipstick tube, AIR tube disconnected and pushed to the side and Coil pack\plugs. The header went in from the top on this side.

New header gasket - Notice part number on packaging. When I called to see if my local dealer had these - I used GM Part # 12558573. This is what I got. These are the correct ones. Not sure what the deal is on part #'s - but these are correct.

Look at the difference from the old manifold gasket and the new header gasket. This is why I bought new gaskets. I needed the round holes compared to the oval holes.

The only thing left is to put it all back together. I may go out and buy some 3" clamps. The kind that are about 2" or so wide. I like the way these form to the pipes - of different diameter.

Anyways - back to work. I think I may have got the record for LONGEST header install......:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
nice write up:thumbsup:

i love the lg pros but i had mine ceramic coated and had a shop do them

did you start it up yet? if not just wait till you floor it for the first couple times:devil:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Thanks for the pic's and the write up, cool project...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Nice pics and write-up. Now I know where to go if I decide to put those on my ride.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kudos guys.

Last Nights Update

I got the passenger side completely bolted up and all the supporting accessories on that side have been reinstalled.

I had no problems at all. I was concerned with using the original header bolts - as I have heard some stories about these getting cross threaded and people screwing up the aluminum threads. No such issues. Everything went back together with out a single problem.

I also bolted up the Driver's side last night also. I had to "play" with the header on that side a little. The bottom of the header attaches right behind the bell housing under the car. I had to loosen this "hanger" a little to get the header to line up correctly with the bolt holes on the head. Not a problem but just a lot of get under the car - go back up top - get back under the car - go up top - just a little bit of a pain in the ass.

BUT - I just have one final pass to tighten the bolts and then reinstall plugs, wires, alternator, valve cover and AIR tube.

Then I can fire up the air compressor\air wrench and get under the car to attach the x-pipe, blank tubes (normally cats would go here) and the B&B Bullets.

I should have more pics - and I will DEFINETLY have a vid when I'm done...:devil:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks good. My LG header install is a blur. I was a buddy's house at mightnight and it was 35deg outside. 3corvette owners drinking beer with nothing to do, next thing I know my car is in the garage up in the air. We finished about 3:30-4am on a wed. No more midnight moding ever again.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Nice write up. Lets us know how things go after you fire it up. Codes and stuff like that. Are you going to get your car tuned? Lets us know.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tuned???

Patch,

Yes.

I will be getting the car tuned after. I think the Fuel Air Ratio needs to be adjusted and I want my fans to kick on a little earlier. Plus I read something about "catless" tunes - I have to do more research... But supposedly you can tune out the rotten egg smell w\out cats....:huh:

I should NOT have any codes thrown on first start up. I got the O2 simulators from LG also. We'll see if this is the case or not. If not - then I could always have the O2 sensors tuned out also.

I've read that my car will run rich till the tune - a lot of black exhasut all over the rear of the car and tail pipes.

More to come....:D

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
wow man congrats on the longtubes and the new house! bet its going to be an awsome pad when your all done with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Patch,

Yes.

I will be getting the car tuned after. I think the Fuel Air Ratio needs to be adjusted and I want my fans to kick on a little earlier. Plus I read something about "catless" tunes - I have to do more research... But supposedly you can tune out the rotten egg smell w\out cats....:huh:

I should NOT have any codes thrown on first start up. I got the O2 simulators from LG also. We'll see if this is the case or not. If not - then I could always have the O2 sensors tuned out also.

I've read that my car will run rich till the tune - a lot of black exhasut all over the rear of the car and tail pipes.

More to come....:D
You dont have to have a tune. I have LG Pro's with bullets. You wont make full power with out a tune. When you are getting on the car hard, there might be some black smoke a few times. I have cats on my car, but had an LS1Fbody before that had headers, no cats and exhaust. Had mine not come with cats, I would have gone no cats. BTW LG Pro's+Bullets=drool. I love the way my sounds.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW LG Pro's+Bullets=drool. I love the way my sounds.
Now your making me very excited to get this done...:devil: :D

Question for you Jargan.

Yesterday I got all of the plumbing done under the car. But when I went to hook up the LG pipes to the B&B over axle pipes - I noticed that the LG pipes are not threaded for the bolt. :huh:

SO... I left it at that. My old stock H-pipe had threaded holes for the bolts to connect to with the B&B system.

What does your setup look like. Are there just two bolts and nuts holding the two together?

I figure today - I'll run out and get some bolts and nuts to tie the two together and then allign everything - clamp everything down tight - and start her up fpr the FIRST TIME...:cheers:

thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now your making me very excited to get this done...:devil: :D

Question for you Jargan.

Yesterday I got all of the plumbing done under the car. But when I went to hook up the LG pipes to the B&B over axle pipes - I noticed that the LG pipes are not threaded for the bolt. :huh:

SO... I left it at that. My old stock H-pipe had threaded holes for the bolts to connect to with the B&B system.

What does your setup look like. Are there just two bolts and nuts holding the two together?

I figure today - I'll run out and get some bolts and nuts to tie the two together and then allign everything - clamp everything down tight - and start her up fpr the FIRST TIME...:cheers:

thanks.
Well my car has a corsa X pipe when I got it. So I already had the bolts. What you do is got to oreilly's home depot, or lowes and find some bolts, nuts and lock washers that is the right size. After that you are good to go.

Here is a little taste of what your in for. :D Here is a video clip of my headers and bullets.

Yes I have cleaned the polished everything since the video. It rained the day before.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my car has a corsa X pipe when I got it. So I already had the bolts. What you do is got to oreilly's home depot, or lowes and find some bolts, nuts and lock washers that is the right size. After that you are good to go.

Here is a little taste of what your in for. :D Here is a video clip of my headers and bullets.

Yes I have cleaned the polished everything since the video. It rained the day before.
Thanks - I will do that.

I have to install Apple Quick Time to watch the movie... Let me go see where I can DL that from...thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks - I will do that.

I have to install Apple Quick Time to watch the movie... Let me go see where I can DL that from...thanks.
It's from apple.com LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice video

Outstanding Sound!!!:agree: :cheers:

I have the Corsa Indy exhaust and I am waiting for my LG PROS (No CAT) and listenining to your makes me drool........

Great Job Dude.

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
Very cool! How do you like Plainfield? I'm next door in Oswego :thumbsup:

Where are you going to get it tuned at?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very cool! How do you like Plainfield? I'm next door in Oswego :thumbsup:

Where are you going to get it tuned at?

I'm actually a couple more miles down 59 in Joliet. I like it - no more crazy traffic in Naperville. :laughing:

I'm going to have a friend tune it for me. If that doesn't work out - I may go see the guys at FLP.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts