Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... driving home from the golf course today. No warning, just the teeth grinding sound of metal on metal, then a lot of white smoke out the tailpipes. It's siezed; won't crank at all. Coolant mixed in the oil. it's a bad scene.

The car only has 28,000 miles on it... :(

But I'm not mourning. I'm already pricing out LS6 long blocks on the web (since the only new LS1's I can find are crappy 320 horse F-car engines). So far the best LS6 prices I've found are 4500 for a long block, and 6500 for the whole enchilada (intake, exhaust, throttle body and ignition)

If any of you happen to find a new LS6 listed cheaper than this, please email me with the info... [email protected]

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
moore_rb said:
... driving home from the golf course today. No warning, just the teeth grinding sound of metal on metal, then a lot of white smoke out the tailpipes. It's siezed; won't crank at all. Coolant mixed in the oil. it's a bad scene.

The car only has 28,000 miles on it... :(

But I'm not mourning. I'm already pricing out LS6 long blocks on the web (since the only new LS1's I can find are crappy 320 horse F-car engines). So far the best LS6 prices I've found are 4500 for a long block, and 6500 for the whole enchilada (intake, exhaust, throttle body and ignition)

If any of you happen to find a new LS6 listed cheaper than this, please email me with the info... [email protected]
DAMN! Any idea why? That's pretty odd for a LS1 to let go like that with no notice.:surprised

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
sorry to hear that,you think the oil pump just quit,i'm no f-body expert,but my friends 99 LS1 is not "fly-by-wire",i guess you could use your intake,t-body and sensors,but your right,i would look for more if money is there.But thats just me.....not sure how desperate you are,but heres a sale from a local club.
2001 vette LS1-21,000 miles.
Long block-no intake,injection,flywheel or accessories....$2500.
[email protected] just trying to help.good luck.:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: My LS1 is history...

Patrick96LT4 said:
DAMN! Any idea why? That's pretty odd for a LS1 to let go like that with no notice.:surprised

It's VERY odd. I drove this car hard, but I also pampered the hell out of it. It was the 37th production 97 built, but I don't imagine that had anything to do with it. The factory folks really take their time on employee orders. The warranty has been up for over three years now.

I'm cracking it open today to find out what failed. The PCM snapshot says oil pressure, oil temperature and coolant temp were all right where they should have been. I'm thinking it might have blown a head gasket, then sucked coolant into one or more cylinders. If that's the case, it might only be hydro-locked; but it might also be cracked (cool liquid in hot aluminum combustion chambers is never a good combo). I'm expecting the worst.

Also, it could be that a cylinder sleave came loose and the piston got wedged in it. I'll let you all know what I find. I'll also try to keep a photo journal of the repair so you can all follow along...

Guess what Santa's bringing to our house, boys and girls! That's right, Car Parts!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If I could spend 12 hours a day in my garage working on Corvettes, I'd be the happiest man alive...
Looks like you've got a couple day's covered
Sorry to hear about such major problems ...
At least you've still got 2 vettes to drive:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts