Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car started effortlessly. runs great and makes good oil pressure. Now I've got to tune it and dyno test it.

See the full story by clicking here

Click here to see the video of the engine running for the first time.

I'm stoked.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Nice job!!! I'll bet your happy to have your "baby" back!!
:cheers: :thumbsup: :cheers: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
i wanna see that baby on the dyno :partyon: , but r u going to break in the engine first (like 500 mile break in) or something like that b4 u floor it and see what it has?? i was always tought to break in motors (at least 1000-2000 miles) before giving it full throttle........

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pemjr said:
i wanna see that baby on the dyno :partyon: , but r u going to break in the engine first (like 500 mile break in) or something like that b4 u floor it and see what it has?? i was always tought to break in motors (at least 1000-2000 miles) before giving it full throttle........
My appointment to have it Dyno'd is Wednesday afternoon. It will have roughly 350 miles on it by then (I have been driving it everywhere since I got the new engine running). I'll change the oil and filter Tuesday night before the appointment, but the engine is ready for a few WOT pulls. I haven't taken it above 4 grand yet. Two or three hard runs to redline during the break in help seat the piston rings in the bottom of the grooves. After the dyno trip, I'll baby it for another 1000 or so miles before heading for the track or spanking any nitrous'd Civics.

Modern engines are so well engineered that traditional break-ins are not really necessary. I expect the dyno to give back numbers that are about 5% lower than what the engine will make after a couple thousand more miles, just because the engine is still a little tight, but it's ready. I added a half quart of oil about 100 miles in, and it hasn't used another drop since, and the oil is staying clean and clear, so I'm confident that everything is good to go...

Another "rule" that no longer applies is the one about not using synthetic oil during the first 1000 miles. All Corvette's since 95 have come straight from the factory with Mobil1 in the crankcase.

I'll post results Wednesday or Thursday!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dalc5 said:
Your nuts are very large......

Thank You... :cool:

My wife concurs your observation... :smokin:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Natural Hi said:
I was wondering why did you chose shorty headers over long tube?
It was mainly a cost decision. I was planning to install LS6 factory manifolds, but I found this set of BBK's locally and cheaper than the LS6 pieces, so I grabbed them. After dropping 5 grand on the engine, and another 2 thousand on all the misc. crap (the belts were 50-something a piece) the $400 price tag on these BBK's was too good to pass up.

I intended for the shorties to bolt right up. If I had known that I would be fabricating and welding in order to make them work, I might have gone the long tube route.

Someday when my savings account has recovered from this little exercise I will probably go back and re-do the exhaust with long headers and less restrictive mufflers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts