Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
c5 vs c6

Personally i have decided to keep my c5 because i dont see that much of an improvement in looks. The c6 looks good at certain angles just as my c5, the rear end is butt ugly on the c6 especially the side view which makes it seem like somebody sliced it with a meat cutter, they should have kept it more rounded like the c5. Until you actually own a c5 making a rash decision like the c6 is the better of the two is wrong. the first the c5 is as much a beautiful car(curve vs sharp edges) sure the interior is not as up to date but the engine bay looks much better than the squished up c6 engine bay and those engine covers were brought back from the 80s yeck. Man i cant even handle my 350 horses on my c5 let alone 400 so it the power issue is irrelevent to me. Just 2 cents from a c5 owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that actually Chevy should have continued the C5 series and made the new c6 a updated C5. Outside of the wheels, there were no significant design changes for the C5, and the C6 really looks like a updated c5. Hopefully, they will tweak the design some to make it look better over time.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i think the C6 is better looking...was going to get a C4 in about 3-4 years but i'm going to wait and save for a C6 instead...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I DISAGREE

If people bought Corvettes based solely on looks, I could understand your feelings . . . to a point. But I and most Corvette freaks also want a lot of other things: performance, handling, quality, etc.

And, while both my C5's have been great cars, my new C6 (which will be ordered on the first day dealer ordering is accepted, will be equipped with Z51 and a 6 speed). The new car will ride better, corner better and stop better - and willl kick my '02s butt seven ways from Sunday.

Personally, I CAN'T WAIT FOR MONDAY to go to the LA Auto Show to see the new car. #7 will be my best Vette yet!:cheers:

·
Registered
166 Posts
C5 vs C6

I think the C5 is a beautiful car and I think the C6 is an improvement on the C5. I've been following the Corvette since '63 and each change has brought about a better Corvette than the previous. I believe in "technology push" and outwardly I see improvements in the design over the C5, though I wish they would have pushed the envelope a little bit further. I love all Corvettes for what they stood for in their generation, but technology and competition pushes the Corvette to move ahead or get lost in the pack. The C6 is the next iteration of Corvette performance and styling and the engineers and designers have done a great job in keeping this icon of American performance ahead of the pack. I love all Corvettes for what they were, are and will be "the one and only".

There can be no other. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
C5 Vs C6

I think the C5 is a beautiful car and I think the C6 is an improvement on the C5. I've been following the Corvette since '63 and each change has brought about a better Corvette than the previous. I believe in "technology push" and outwardly I see improvements in the design over the C5, though I wish they would have pushed the envelope a little bit further. I love all Corvettes for what they stood for in their generation, but technology and competition pushes the Corvette to move ahead or get lost in the pack. The C6 is the next iteration of Corvette performance and styling and the engineers and designers have done a great job in keeping this icon of American performance ahead of the pack. I love all Corvettes for what they were, are and will be "the one and only".

There can be no other. ;)
I don't disagree with your comments above, however, there are two things I don't like about the C6. First, the storage well in the trunk was eliminated for some reason unknown to me. Second, the ability to access the trunk area on convertibles was eliminated supposedly to reduce road noise. On trips, not having that access is a nuisance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally i have decided to keep my c5 because i dont see that much of an improvement in looks. The c6 looks good at certain angles just as my c5, the rear end is butt ugly on the c6 especially the side view which makes it seem like somebody sliced it with a meat cutter, they should have kept it more rounded like the c5. Until you actually own a c5 making a rash decision like the c6 is the better of the two is wrong. the first the c5 is as much a beautiful car(curve vs sharp edges) sure the interior is not as up to date but the engine bay looks much better than the squished up c6 engine bay and those engine covers were brought back from the 80s yeck. Man i cant even handle my 350 horses on my c5 let alone 400 so it the power issue is irrelevent to me. Just 2 cents from a c5 owner.
I never owned a C5 but for my money I like the shape of the C6 rear end better. I like the way it flows around the side of the car much better. I also have always liked the round exhaust pipes better and I like the position of the back up lights better. They are both good looking cars and the changes are sure more evolutionary than revolutionary. I have heard from a friend who has owned many Vettes that this one is the most refined and the nicest on a long trip. I find the exhaust is too quiet at idle and light throttle but sounds nice when you put your foot in it which I am prone to do.:laughing: As far as the power goes, it is sure not too much. With the TM I have never spun the wheels execpt when wet. It just goes like bat out of hell. I have a few rattles in the dash that bug me but otherwise it is an awesome car. Highway mileage over 31MPH too.

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
Wasn't the C6 something like 80% new parts or am I thinking of some other car?:crazy:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have owned two C5s and now the C6, while keeping my 200FRC. The other C5 was an 03 loaded coupe with an automatic. I can honestly tell you the C6 is a much more refined sports car. Looks are subjective. I love the looks of a C5, but the C6 is just better IMHO. Even with TM the C6 outperforms the C5 by a mile.The wind noise is reduced, the handling is better, and the looks scream CORVETTE. I love the C5, but the C6 is just an all around better car. Either way, you get to drive a first rate sports car. Now if I can just finish that 76:cheers:

·
Registered
645 Posts
The difference between by 98 blk/blk (sold) and my current 05 blk/blk. The C6 is a better design, not as loud while driving. The stock exhaust on the C5 is much much louder than the C6. Just about everything between the two except the paint is very different in a better way in my eyes. Drive a C6 for the day if you can, you will see the true difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I remember reading an article earlier this year in Corvette magazine. The article featured an interview with one of the C6 GM designers and there were hints about the upcoming C7 design. In the background were rough pencil sketches of what looked to be a sharpened angled C6. The designer actually hinted that the C7 will continue the evolution of the Corvette vs. the revolution and similar to the C6 evolving from the C5 in terms of looks, the C7 will do the same off the C6. I would like to try and scan the article pictures, however the drawings were very light originally, but the idea is that the C7 will have sharper angles and be less rounded than the C6 while maintaining a similar design style.

Anyway, back to topic, I own a 2004 C5 Verte and chose the C5 over the C6 primarily due to the $20K delta in price during the summer of 04' as the dealers were incented to move all remaining C5s to make room for the C6s. I got a great deal and although I literally drove both cars back-to-back, the difference wasn't enough to warrant the $20K markup for the C6.

Depending on how great the C7 is going to be, I plan to do the same thing, or at least shop, at the end of the C6 run.

You can't go wrong with either car. Both have distinctive styling cues that make them unique. I for one have always liked the looks of the C4. It's certainly isn't as refined as the C5 or now the C6, but it's unique and screams Corvette Heritage. Who knows, someday maybe I can enjoy owning one from each generation. This is America and anything is possible! :partyon:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 2001 c5 Z06 and modded it. I dig the car. Its good looking and fast as hell. Handles great. Its certainly a race car built for the streets. Tons of fun and even though I dig it..

The C6 is the better vehicle. No question in my mind. The C6 is more refined. quieter, better looking...

Just a more evolved vehicle.

Do I want one? Hell yes but since I paid for my c5 Z for cash and it being worth half of what I paid for it. I just don't have the URGE to spend 20 or 30 or 40 grand out of pocket to buy the new 430 hp Z51 C6.

Its an amazing deal. The only problem I have is my present ride is as well and its paid for with only 60k Miles..

When the time comes there is no question the new C6 would be my first choice.

Its that great a car. Just not great enough to get me to drop the 20 or 30 grand plus my trade in for a new one.

Maybe GM did too great a job on the C5? I just can't imagine getting rid of this car.

fwiw I think the shorter overhangs on the c6 were masterful in design.

I see myself at some point buying a black Z51 C6 A6 and having a party with it. The extra refinement is an added bonus!

JMO

JB

·
Registered
475 Posts
Had a 2000 coupe and while it was good, the C6 is soooo much better that i had to make the jump. The power top on the vert alone should account for the decision... as do the indexing windows... overall, the C6 is a much more liveable car. Power wise, its sometime difficult to account for c5 holy **** fast and c6 holy **** fast... but the ride of the z51 is as good as the ride on the base c5. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
948 Posts
as we speak I am wanting a C5 Z06 as my second Vette as I LOVE THAT CAR! It is just so freakin' sexy! Looks, performance, etc...hell, it hs it all, however I am actually afraid to go and test a C6 as I have a feeling it rides and performs completely differently than the C5 at which point I would then be fixated on the C6...It's bad enough that I am already after C5 Z.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
A couple of months ago i was at a crossroads with my C5, keep it and buy an extended warranty since my miles were almost up or get a great deal on an 07 with the 08's looming.

I decided to keep the 04 spiral gray (gotta be the color) and let gm keep the extra horses of the C6. Maybe when the 04 is paid off then i will rush out and by a monterey red vert w/ cashmere interior and beige top, or some other lustful version like a nice z06 to accompany my C5.

But i decided that my 04 is a keeper. Thats not saying that the C7 design could change all of that. A lot can happen in the next three years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think every style change made to the C6 is an improvement. I like the new headlights, I like that the car is overall smaller, I like the sharp edges vs the rounded look. I love the rear of the C6. Looks very exotic-like to me.

To each their own. That's great that the OP prefers his C5. Honestly, when the C7's come out, I hope that I still prefer my C6... will save me some coin. :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I HATED the C5 when I first saw it. The looks defenitly grew on me over the years. I love my Z06, she is sexy.
I really hated the looks of the C6, especially chopping the ass like they did! But I look at some of the modded C6s around here and I think Holy **** that is a hot car.
Will I buy one? No.
I find it rather funny most people are looking to upgrade from a 5 to a 6 or waiting on the 7 and all I'm aiming for right now is a mean ass C3 with sidepipes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts