Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my upper radiator hose.

I used 1.5" stainless tubing, bent it using a template I made from paper towel cores, and polished it.

I connected it using two silicon joints, and some C2 hose clamps...mostly because I hate worm gear clamps. I might pull those and polish them too.

I think it compliments everything perfectly. I have a few more things to finish up but it's sure looking better and better.

Enjoy some pics.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:cool:

So how's it running with those dual carbs??

Get a hood to fit yet?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool:

So how's it running with those dual carbs??

Get a hood to fit yet?

I haven't even started it yet for the first time. That will be an event for sure.

I have an L88 hood that will fit over the carbs but not the filters. I have a plan, as of yet to be built, that will give me cold air from in front of the radiator that will eliminate filters.

The filters are pretty much just for me to get it started with while I finish the intake system.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup:

tough to tell how much clearance you have between the pipe and the serp belt. Do you have an inch or so? What are the C2 clamps you refer to? Since you mention polishing them I take it they're not the "heat shrink" style? Those always look nice, but don't seem practical for any vehicle that will actual be worked on regularly.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good :thumbsup:

tough to tell how much clearance you have between the pipe and the serp belt. Do you have an inch or so? What are the C2 clamps you refer to? Since you mention polishing them I take it they're not the "heat shrink" style? Those always look nice, but don't seem practical for any vehicle that will actual be worked on regularly.

Thanks so much,

I have almost a full inch clearance between the belt and the pipe. The silicon couplers are very stiff, and while they will loosen when hot, they don't flex much.

By C2 clamps, I mean, 1963 - 1967 Corvette, radiator hose clamps.

They are a simple band with a screw and caged nut. Much cleaner 'strap' look. I think they are a cheap grade stainless or something that won't rust so I'm thinking of trying to polish one.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looks Great! Next time put up a warning! I had to put on my sunglasses to look at those pics! So, shiny...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. The comments are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Very NICE DB very nice!!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good...Why the dual alternators ?
Bare with me...

Here's what I wrote in a previous thread when someone asked the same question. I pretty much have this saved in a text file because this question gets asked so much. :laughing:

Quote:

Okay, first off, what led to it all was that I had removed the A/C from the car. On a V-belt setup not a problem...but with serpentine...which I have, it requires something be there.

I toyed with various delete pulleys but I just didn't like how it looked. On top of that, I like things symmetrical.

I also knew I had a fairly high electrical demand on the car between the stereo, extra lights, extra fans...yata yata yata.

So, I knew I needed more power. I knocked out two birds...with two alternators. I got more power, and I replaced the delete pulley with a symmetrical accessory design.

An added bonus is that because neither has to work full time to keep up with my electrical demands, they won't overheat as most alternators do which is what ultimately kills them.

Wiring is easy. Piggy back everything. The main power wires run to a junction at the starter, which is where they meet the battery 12V. The factory harness wires simply jump from one alternator to the other. In my dealings with car audio I found that an exact synchronization of the two alternators is really only a concern on newer computer controlled cars and trucks.

To summarize, I got a very cool looking symmetrical setup, plenty of power, long term reliability, and a solution to a problem that started it all.

End Quote:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Definitly a cool look, functionality makes it even better. A few weeks ago I attended a car show, a local stereo shop had a Suburban there with 5, count em', five alternators mounted on it. :surprised

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great brother! I can't wait to see it in May when I return.:partyon::partyon:

You driving the '74 back for the Dragon? I hope to have mine in driving condition by then, and that's counting the trailing arm work I found I will have to do.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks good DB:thumbsup: Finally get to see some progess on a Corvette that I've seen. I'm hoping I can make the Dragon this year and get to see that awsome Corvette of yours!! I haven't installed the steering parts you sold my brother as I've been working like crazy up until this week and now I'm hunting another job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts