Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Corvette black over black
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been driving Corvettes for 25 years and each generation keeps getting better and better. A year ago I got caught up in the hype of the mid-engine Corvette and put down a deposit at a dealer, with courtesy delivery to Delillo, and for the record I was treated extremely well by Delillo. I was kind of lukewarm on the C8 styling when it was revealed but in person the car is striking, it doesn't look like a corvette at all, it looks like an italian supercar, there is literally no bad angle on this car. Is it still a Corvette? The honking big engine is no longer in front of you, it's behind you. The hood is stubby. The rear flanks are wide. Sitting inside the car feels like sitting in a Lexus, quiet, refined, surrounded by leather and textured surfaces that overlap each other in architectural flourishes. The IP is in your face, much closer to you than the C7. The camera rear view mirror is startling at first, but you get \used to it quickly. The square steering wheel that looks so comical in pictures is actually quite comfortable and gives you a better view of the instrumentation. The flying buttress that divides the compartment is very prominent but not overly so, it's quite dramatic in the dark, when all the buttons are illuminated. The seats are astonishing, they recline so far and move so far back that in the rearmost position, my long legs can't reach the pedals. Are you sure this is a Corvette? The trunk space and frunk space are more than enough storage for your weekend stuff, grocery shopping, etc, are you sure this is a mid-engine car? The car's rear end looks gigantic in pictures but it's actually not that large, compared side-by-side with my C7 the car's dimensions appear to be pretty much the same. I was concerned about interior space but it's about the same as the C7, and the loss of the rear hatch storage area isn't as pronounced as you might imagine. You can glance over your shoulder and see the actual engine, that is pretty cool stuff. Speaking of which, the rear visibility isn't as bad as I was lead to believe, yes you need to use your mirrors but you should be doing that anyway. The side view mirrors are a little funky, it will take some getting used to. The car is quiet, not lexus-quiet but it's very refined. On the road the car is solid, composed, powerful. The DCT will take some getting used to, it shifts weird, but then I've thought the same thing about the transmission in every new car I've owned. With all that being said, I don't quite know what to make of the car, it's an outstanding car and a huge leap forward for Chevrolet. It's truly a world class car, but is it still a Corvette? From the standpoint of the traditional engine layout that point is debatable, but if they're going to reinvent and re-engineer the car and put the prevailing name on it, then I say it's high time that it was reimagined. "Disruption" is the word a lot of millennials use to imply a reworking of tradition, and in that respect Chevrolet was successful. I never thought they could make a car that was better than the C7, but the C8 is what happens when you set the engineers free to do what they do best.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Thanks for providing a first-hand glance at ownership from a "one of us" perspective. Using a Corvette as a daily driver is different from MT, C&D, and R&T road tests. Your insights are appreciated. Did you opt for the 2" front lift and memory? If so, have you found it useful?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for providing a first-hand glance at ownership from a "one of us" perspective. Using a Corvette as a daily driver is different from MT, C&D, and R&T road tests. Your insights are appreciated. Did you opt for the 2" front lift and memory? If so, have you found it useful?
No, my car is a 2LT with GT2 seats and dual roof panels, those are the only options. Just as with all my previous corvettes, yes this will be a daily driver, and it will make a fine one. I just toodle around town, I never track my cars, so perhaps the car's true capabilities are wasted on me. I've owned a lot of different cars in my life and this is the finest automobile I've ever driven. If a swiss watch were a car, it would be this car.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
My flexible front air dam scrapes every time I drive in or out of my driveway so I think the front lift is a must for me. I might have to wait until I can rent a C8 to find out if it will clear our rakish driveway. If not, I might have to tell my wife we are moving. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Baby's first car wash. The dealership had left all the protective interior coverings in place and today I removed them all, and washed the car. As I said about the C7, if you don't like the style of the car, just wash it. When you wash a car you become intimately familiar with just how much thought was put into every line, every shape, every curve, you start to see and appreciate things that you just can't see in pictures or if you just see the car briefly on the street. This is a hell of a car. Chevrolet did an amazing job of making you feel special when you sit in it. No matter where I looked my eyes drank in the over-engineering that was poured into this car. I may sleep in it tonight, lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
:cry: Too bad about the mats, but there is always Lloyd's mats. Get the flags or Jake or just black with piping. I KNOW you don't need the Weather Tech boxes. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations! Black is beautiful. :whistle:
It sure is! I waxed it today. There were some mysterious light scratches on the car that probably occurred during shipment, sitting on the dealer lot, people getting in and out, whatever. The scratches easily came out by hand with Meguiars rubbing compound. I'm still getting used to the fact that there is so much more car behind you instead of in front of you. I also tried the stereo today for the first time, it is a HUGE leap forward in sound quality compared to the C7. The subwoofer in the C7 was a nice idea, but it was overpowering. I'm not an audiophile, but the C8 2LT stereo is lovely, perfectly balanced, crisp, focused, and has much more range.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Some more driving impressions. I've been slowly getting used to the car, driving it around town, getting used to the car's dimensions, etc. When I ordered the car I wanted the magnetic ride, but I didn't want Z51 so I just didn't order it. I was convinced that I had needed mag ride because I've had it on all my Corvettes. Well, the base suspension is so good that you don't need it, the ride is supple and controlled, even on rough roads. Driving the car, there is the distinct impression that you've been given wings, I don't know how to describe it any better than that, the short hood allows you to see more of the road, it's almost theatrical in its driving impression, bordering on symphonic. Tell me that you don't hear Mozart's Dies Irae when you're cornering or heading over a crest. I'm astonished that this is an American car, I've never driven anything like this before. You people who are on the fence about buying one, you don't know what you're missing. All generations of the Corvette are wonderful, but the C8 is extraordinary.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some updated comments. I can't drive anywhere in this car without people talking to me, waving, taking pictures, pointing etc. If you're an introvert you don't want this car. At the gas station this guy came up, looked at it for several minutes, and flatly said that it looks like a Ferrari. And I had my first passenger the other day, the first words out of his mouth were "what's that thing?" as he pointed at the row of buttons. Then he said he couldn't believe how quiet the car is. As a driver of Corvettes since 1992, I'm still getting used to how much more car there is behind me, it's difficult to back into a parking space but I'm getting the hang of it. And you DO want the 2LT which comes with the camera mirror and blind spot monitoring, I'm now adept at using both of them. For you traditionalists who believe the engine belongs in the front, I would suggest that you at least sit in the C8 to see what an enormous improvement this car is over the C7, which was already an excellent car to begin with. If you drive a C8 you'll want one, trust me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts