Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make them out of cardboard.

I need to trim a bit of the left side. The top is flat also. I forgot to get that in the pic.

Would you recommend anything else?

What thickness of steel would you recommend?

I have a problem though, the rod wants to hit the bolt so I have to scoot it out about .5". I'll draw something on paint.

·
Registered
959 Posts
wow all you have to do is figure out how to weld cardboard and you will be all set.......:rolling: ...redvetracr

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep :laughing:

Heres the problem. I was thinking I could just raise the diff and raise the adjustment bolts.

The drawling would get an f in drafting class but It's good enough :laughing:

Blue is the TA, red is the bracket

I don't think it needs to be too strong becuase all it is doing is supporting it. 3/16 steel should be sufficient. For the bend over I would just bend the steel 90* instead of welding. Adding gussets to the back off course and lightening holes :laughing:

I could also add another part for the bolt to go through to reduce the shear.

·
Registered
959 Posts
not sure what drawling is but what I am sure of is you don`t need all that crap your bolting on.....have you seen the shirt "get in, sit down, shut up and hold on"??
JUST LEARN TO DRIVE THE THING....... ...redvetracr

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure what drawling is but what I am sure of is you don`t need all that crap your bolting on.....seen the shirt "get in, sit down, hold on and shut up"??
JUST LEARN TO DRIVE THE THING....... ...redvetracr
Yeah, I was just bored and decided I needed it. It probably won't get done for awhile as I need to cut the nose of the TA off and weld a johnny joint on it also. I'll probably take it to this guy that my uncle knows that welds for a living and have tig them on. He has one of those fancy water cooled ones like TT's.

I also think I'll weld this bracket on ;) :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Do you ever drive your car yellow? I see all these threads about stuff your gonna build and I have seen you car, really nice looking BTW, but I never hear a "I did a big burnout" or "What a great drive I went on today" thread from you. Get out of the garage and enjoy your car. Life is short.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do you ever drive your car yellow? I see all these threads about stuff your gonna build and I have seen you car, really nice looking BTW, but I never hear a "I did a big burnout" or "What a great drive I went on today" thread from you. Get out of the garage and enjoy your car. Life is short.

ya gotta have an operator's license :crazy: :rolling:

Isnt that bracket mounted to high? Will hit the xmember long before you get full compression...

Take the spring bolt loose and use a jack to move the mockup through the entire suspension travel....

IMHO

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya gotta have an operator's license :crazy: :rolling:

Isnt that bracket mounted to high? Will hit the xmember long before you get full compression...

Take the spring bolt loose and use a jack to move the mockup through the entire suspension travel....

IMHO
Yes it will hit. Thats Why I want to raise the diff and then crank the adjustment bolts up for get a higher arched spring.

I don't know how much travel I will use yet. After the adjustments it will hit the bump stop Before the rod hits.

Maybe I should just not worry about it. It was just something to do that was cheap.

I haven't drove it in a month or two

Heres a vid doing donuts. It was at night so you cant see anything though. You can see the two guages where the radios goes though. There the red things.

Edit: You cant embed here. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx1v-eHzWI8

I cant even drive it anymore now becuase the insurance is only in my dads name. It only cost like 150 dollars then. But it kind of sucks. :down:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes it will hit. Thats Why I want to raise the diff and then crank the adjustment bolts up for get a higher arched spring.

I don't know how much travel I will use yet. After the adjustments it will hit the bump stop Before the rod hits.

Maybe I should just not worry about it. It was just something to do that was cheap.

I haven't drove it in a month or two

Heres a vid doing donuts. It was at night so you cant see anything though. You can see the two guages where the radios goes though. There the red things.

Edit: You cant embed here. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx1v-eHzWI8

I cant even drive it anymore now becuase the insurance is only in my dads name. It only cost like 150 dollars then. But it kind of sucks. :down:
You were just looking for a 5 leaf and a flat spring. My suggestion to you is to do one simple thing that will help and you have all the components already

Space the strut rod bracket down until it is parallel with the half shaft!! then set your rear camber to just a bit negative and set your halfshafts to droop just slightly so that when your on the gas they go flat.

Make sure you let the suspension settle by driving up and down the driveway once !!

Then STOP farting around.... :thumbsup: :rolling:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that TT said that the smart strut bracket doesn't help.

I would have to raise the car to get the half shafts parallel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts