Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been pushing me more and more lately. It's getting to the point where it's one thing after another that's going wrong with it. Just recently, literally a week ago, my alternator went bad on me. Not too long prior to that, I had transmission fluid pouring out. Not too long prior to that, my AC compressor went out. Not too long prior to that, my radiator tank cracked..... Do I need to go on?

And when the torrential storm downpour happened yesterday here in Austin, it left lovely mushy, wet, water soaked floorboards and floormats on the driver and passenger sides. Car is paid off, but with all these things going wrong, it's like i'm still making car payments anyway. Can ya'll convince me to keep the dumb thing, or can you convince me to get rid it? I flip flop day to day about it. :laughing:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is this car your DD? If not make it a project or hobby and enjoy the time you get to spend on it.

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
llong, it's my daily driver, which is part of the issue. I could sell my vette and upgrade to a better vette, been thinking about a C5 Z06. On the other hand, I've replaced almost everything there is to replace on my car, so there's not much more to go wrong with it. Honestly I figure the next thing to go is the water pump/optispark. And Head and oil pan gaskets are pretty much the only things left to go wrong after that. And I'm not kidding. :laughing:

Dan85, i do still love driving the car, but in this case, love is not unconditional when it keeps trying to bleed me dry of $. :laughing:

Lady95, no offense, but it's a girlie color!! :rolling:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I loved my '88 Z52 Coupe but I love my C5 even more.

Sometimes I wish I had kept the C4 as there were many things about it that I loved (center fuel filler door, pop up hatch, clam shell hood, even the high rail) while purchasing the newer car as it too was paid off. Is that an option for you?

If not, I'd move on to the C5 because it really is a heck of a performance value. Best to make sure all of the C5 recall issues (column lock, etc.) have been addressed before you get the checkbook out. And...early C6 prices are getting more attractive. ;)

I bought my first Vette while living in Austin in the mid-80's. It was an '84 and I encountered high water while exiting the MoPac one early morning. The water actually came up over the hood. :surprised Sadly, the car was just not the same after that.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Well it IS 17 years old...

many cars do this or similar. when I had my 99 GTP, I swear EVERY gasket on the motor (except head gaskets) had been replaced on it while I owned it.

my 90 corvette needed a bunch of work at once ( or close)

tensioner, then Water pump, then Alt, now a compressor (well I think the compressor was bad all along). this is what happens when it gets older..

Now it needs 2 window regulators too

It sucks, but once it is all done, you should be happy again

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
ok , lets say like many of us, your driving a corvette thats 5-30 years old and theres a seeming endless progression or repairs, and you start thinking about trading it in on a newer model, now naturally the condition your cars in and what needs to be replaced,repaired or adjusted is a major factor here as is your skill level and familiarity with tools and having the time and place to do the work, but theres also a huge tendency to look at a newer car as a car that's far less likely to need repairs, which is not always true, because at some point you've replaced or repaired a good deal of the potential problem areas, in your current car.
yes I know your goal is to have a fast car that looks good, obviously you need to make personal choices, just remember that, you can replace interior components like seats,, do paint jobs and replace engines a whole lot cheaper than the cost of a new corvette in many cases.
paying $600 for a complete brake upgrade ,and $1200 for new tires on your current car, is usually going to be a whole lot cheaper, in the long run than monthly car payments on a new car.

the need to do repairs will be an intermittent part of ownership with any used car , so get used to occasionally replacing parts or adjusting things, if you step back and total up the cost over a long time period it tends to cost less than the constant car payments, of having a new car.(especially once you realize once you drive any car off the lot its a USED CAR, and in most cases you pay a good deal extra for a bumper to bumper warranty after the first few years and that many "WEAR ITEMS" like belts,hoses and brakes and tires, are seldom covered in any warranty)
look at it this way, you may need a new clutch, or transmission,new tires,new brakes, a new water pump, a valve job, etc. over any given time period, its part of owning a car.some parts have a rather predictable life expectancy, for example you can reasonably expect to replace brakes every 60K or water pumps at 80K, and tires depending on your driving style at between 30K-50K
purchasing a newer corvette could easily cost $35-$75K, every choice is a compromise in some area,but while you can occasionally delay repairs car payments must be made on a set schedule.
over a 72 month payment time frame that,s a monthly payment of at least $500-$1100 OR MORE a month and those month roll by rather fast, your almost always ahead maintaining a used corvette, especially when you factor in the far higher cost of insurance on a newer vette, into the financial picture.

besides theres always the option to do something special to an older c4 corvette

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=151

·
Registered
626 Posts
i sank ALOT of cash into mine when i had it , and although it was always a pita to work on and like yours seemed as soon as i fixed one thing another pops up . That being said i do really miss it, dont get me wrong i really like the Z i bought but i luved my vette ,just my 2 cents worth ,but unless you get into a newer one, i'd keep it cuz you will miss it when its gone.... like the song says ain't no sunshine when shes gone:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
My car has been pushing me more and more lately. It's getting to the point where it's one thing after another that's going wrong with it. Just recently, literally a week ago, my alternator went bad on me. Not too long prior to that, I had transmission fluid pouring out. Not too long prior to that, my AC compressor went out. Not too long prior to that, my radiator tank cracked..... Do I need to go on?

And when the torrential storm downpour happened yesterday here in Austin, it left lovely mushy, wet, water soaked floorboards and floormats on the driver and passenger sides. Car is paid off, but with all these things going wrong, it's like i'm still making car payments anyway. Can ya'll convince me to keep the dumb thing, or can you convince me to get rid it? I flip flop day to day about it. :laughing:

I totaly understand where your coming from but parts wear out and break, My 94 LT1 Has gone through 4 OptiSparks , Several sensors and several other parts but its all about your Love for the only true American sports car, the Corvette !! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I totaly understand where your coming from but parts wear out and break, My 94 LT1 Has gone through 4 OptiSparks , Several sensors and several other parts but its all about your Love for the only true American sports car, the Corvette !! :thumbsup:
Oh and I still cant seem to get rid of that Damn code 42 .:WTF

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yea fixing stuff as it gets older sucks but you can at least feel assured it will be a long time before any of those issues pop up again. On a side note having an older vette is cool when the insurance bill comes. My premium for six months on my 86 is 89.00 :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
I guess what it comes down to how much you are spending. If you have things adding up to where you would be spending $1k or $2k a year fixing stuff,.....
personally, since IM retired and reasonably well versed in corvette repair and maintenance, Id rather spend "$1k or $2k a year fixing stuff" on an older C4 than have a $600-$1100 car payment per month (thats $7200-$13,200 a year)
on a newer corvette! its all a mater or balancing your skills and cash flow vs your ability to maintain your car

·
Registered
101 Posts
go the c5 route,i have mine 3 years now in that time ive changed the brake fluid replaced the brake pads and discs,spark plugs and tyres.starts first turn every time,is comfortable and eats up the miles.i love it. herriot ireland

oh yeah,changed the oil and filter as well

·
Registered
414 Posts

I feel ya, ive had mine for a little over a year, iv'e completley replaced and rebuilt the rear end(with the exception of bushings and shocks, those are next) rewired the crossfire(fun) replaced the ECM(still need to properly install) it needs new window sills,and targa bolts for all four corners(i dont have a star bolt set) tomorrow im replacing all the plugs, doing some regular maintnence that ive been putting off and replacing the fuel pump. I also think the Cat. is getting clogged up, so i gotta look into that(litteraly) i also just got my windshield wipers working :thumbsup: but with the entire can of rainx i put on the windshield i barely need to use them(mostly at night) and the list goes on and on.

I think its this Damn Texas heat :spanked::crazy:

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm getting rid of my car. Just had another issue come up again last weekend. Long story short, I had to get a rental car and it's to the point where i'm sick of working on this dumb car. I'm not even enjoying it much any more. Time to move on to something else, which is something i thought i'd NEVER hear myself say. I don't really like too many other cars, so i might have my work cut out for me finding something i'm satisfied with.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts