Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the dyno runs I have seen on manual cars, it seems the operators usually run up through the gears and then at low revs in top, floor it and get a reading.
If you do this with an auto it would kick down and mess the reading.

So for an Auto, would you put it in '1' and floor it or would you take it to top and slowly accelerate?

I know nothing on how a dyno works so any education would be appreciated.
TIA

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
depending on the auto tranny, you put it in the lowest gear (1) and slowly accelerate, shift it manually to (2) next gear and then up again if you have (3) or (D), then push the accelerator to the floor. With the newer stuff, say the A6 auto tranny, you use the paddles to manually shift 1-2-3 or all the way to 4 depending on how high the dyno operator wants to push the rmp and speedo.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I've never seen a car in 3 kick down( if it has 1-2-3-D setup), but I'm sure it could happen. With computer controlled trannies, you can lock/unlock the coverter as well to help with the testing. If you dyno it in (D) then there is gonna be some possible kick down and it'll show some strange graphing as the best numbers will be during "passing gear" then bottom out . All I can say is take it in and see what the dyno operator wants to do to get you the best numbers out of your car.Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts