Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it such a crime for a college player to get paid?

The networks makes millions, the coaches make millions, the athletic directors make millions, the schools rake in tons of money and the player get's ****.

Just seems like a good old fashion butt-humpin to me. :huh:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Some would argue they do get paid in the form of 10's of thousands of dollars of free education, room and board.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
If you want to screw up college football even more than the BCS has done, just start paying players and deal with the flak from paying some more than others, etc. The game won't be worth watching.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
There's ways around the no pay thing. For instance, if a College football team makes a bowl game appearance each player is given "travel" money to get home from the location of the bowl. The money allocated is about 3-4 times what it would normally cost to travel and the team makes sure your travel is "arranged".

20 years ago, Clemson used to stamp their bowl travel money with purple paw prints before giving it out to the players.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some would argue they do get paid in the form of 10's of thousands of dollars of free education, room and board.
Not all those guys are full ride. I don't know the percentage, but I would venture a guess at 50-60% get the full ride. But, if they get hurt, that ride can come to a screeching halt.

If you want to screw up college football even more than the BCS has done, just start paying players and deal with the flak from paying some more than others, etc. The game won't be worth watching.
Seems like to me, the guys doing all the work and taking all the chances are the ones left out of the money.. kinda like real life.. :laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Before I left Miami I was in the Gym with a Miami Dolphin that had played for the University of Georgia. Someone asked him what was the biggest difference between playing for Georgia and playing for the Dolphins. He answered that he had to take a cut in pay to play for the Dolphins.

15 years later when I lived in LA I had a contract in Vernon and used to take Slauson to work. If I hit it just right I would be behind the USC procession. The Boys in the hood would wait at Slauson intersections in their "loaner" Caddys, Zs, Corvettes, etc, As the procession moved down Slauson they would file in behind the last car and drive in unison to USC.

Some players get compensated and others do not.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Not all those guys are full ride. I don't know the percentage, but I would venture a guess at 50-60% get the full ride. But, if they get hurt, that ride can come to a screeching halt.
No doubt, the good ones, the ones that bring in the money, are on a full ride. The others get what they can. Most like they would if there were a pay scale. Just like the pros, where they get paid, if you get hurt sorry about your luck.

Don't get me wrong I don't care if they get paid. I'm sure most are already why not make it legal but to say they get nothing now is just plain wrong.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't get me wrong I don't care if they get paid. I'm sure most are already why not make it legal but to say they get nothing now is just plain wrong.
I should have clarified in the OP, I think it's a given that "stars" from large schools make good money.
:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts